ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temp power hook-up demonstration on This Old House  (Read 9174 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Temp power hook-up demonstration on This Old House
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 01:46:19 PM »

I can't believe it's ever OK to do that work hot...not when there's a bare grounded cable 6" away that could be struck by a hot at any moment causing an arc flash.
Since when is using a fiberglass ladder sufficient for isolating one from shock? They're fiberglass in case of accidents, not to enable hot work.

My local PoCo has disconnects before most pole transformers I notice these days.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 01:54:58 PM »

I can't believe it's ever OK to do that work hot...not when there's a bare grounded cable 6" away that could be struck by a hot at any moment causing an arc flash.
Since when is using a fiberglass ladder sufficient for isolating one from shock? They're fiberglass in case of accidents, not to enable hot work.

My local PoCo has disconnects before most pole transformers I notice these days.

In my area, those are fuses.
Had one blow a couple of years back. Pretty significant "Pop" from outside as the lights died.....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 02:28:37 PM »

Many times that transformer supplies multiple residences. I'm guessing they didn't want to inconvenience the neighbors.

There's no problem doing hot work, providing you have the proper PPE for such work. The handles of most pliers and screwdrivers aren't voltage rated. I didn't see much for proper PPE in this video. And having untrained personnel anywhere near is a really bad idea.

The crews from the local utility do hot work all the time -- on the primary lines feeding the transformer. Of course, they have proper tools and PPE for hot work. And they do disconnect the power to the lines for major repairs.

Where I live, the local utility doesn't require metering temporary construction power under certain circumstances. But that temporary power doesn't include a spider box hooked directly to the transformer; it's usually an installed overhead service on a temporary pole or an underground service to a pedestal.

Even when you're working between the meter and the service equipment, you can't always pull the meter to disconnect power. If it's a CT meter, then there may be no cutout between the transformer and the service equipment. That's the way my place is set up, and it bugs me because it complicates replacement of the panel in my shop. One of these days I'll post a picture of it for your entertainment. You'll shudder.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 04:01:58 PM »

As mentioned above, except in rural locations, there are multiple houses on a transformer and in some areas, multiple transformers.
Disconnecting would involve going to where the street connects to the next major one and killing the whole area. Not happening for one house.

I agree that doing this for tv with not only another person nearby, but obviously a camera operator there too was a bad move.

I suspect they would have just left the power off while replacing the service but they did mention there was something going on in the house that needed power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 12:56:19 PM »

Something going on that trumps safety?  If power is an absolute must (medical equipment?) then the best solution is a Honday inverter (to keep noise down for neighbors).

Even without a disconnect, the POCO can easily cut the drop to this house at the pole and resplice later.  That eliminates hot wires anywhere near where you are working.  Very handy if you have to replace the mast, or want to put siding where the house knob is, etc.

Came across a quote yesterday I really like:

"Safety procedures get old-but so do those that follow them."
Steve Swaffer

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 06:14:01 PM »

As mentioned above, except in rural locations, there are multiple houses on a transformer and in some areas, multiple transformers.
Disconnecting would involve going to where the street connects to the next major one and killing the whole area. Not happening for one house.

I agree that doing this for tv with not only another person nearby, but obviously a camera operator there too was a bad move.

I suspect they would have just left the power off while replacing the service but they did mention there was something going on in the house that needed power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TV lights for the show?

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 08:32:14 PM »

TV lights for the show?
Oh the irony...  ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 08:32:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.