ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Temp power hook-up demonstration on This Old House  (Read 9313 times)

Jim Layton

Temp power hook-up demonstration on This Old House
« on: August 21, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »

I'm no electrician and don't play one on TV. Does this look ...real?

https://youtu.be/ldNfNj44FIQ

I also found this Philly IBEW video...which implies what everyone says here.  Don't play with live wires.

https://youtu.be/X6NHLZRAsgA
Between Allentown & Philadelphia

duane massey

Re: Temp power hook-up demonstration on This Old House
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 12:53:43 PM »

I've watched electricians do this many times. Won't do it myself.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 12:56:32 PM »

I'm not an electrician either...  And I wonder about the ethics of skipping the meter in the example video from ToH.  That said, I have never seen power shut down before the meter in a residential situation.  Typically it is done hot afaik. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 01:01:48 PM »

I guess getting a small generator for power tools was out of the question.

And the home owners can't go without power for a while if it only takes about 5 hours to install the new box?

Seems like it would be safer than connecting live.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 05:06:31 PM »

I noticed Mr. Electrician make a big deal out of the fact he was standing on a fiberglass ladder, but then passed a conductive coupling to the interviewer who was standing on an aluminum ladder.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 05:29:43 PM »

I noticed Mr. Electrician make a big deal out of the fact he was standing on a fiberglass ladder, but then passed a conductive coupling to the interviewer who was standing on an aluminum ladder.

Yes, but the coupling isn't energized and he wasn't touching a live connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 05:32:04 PM »

I guess getting a small generator for power tools was out of the question.

And the home owners can't go without power for a while if it only takes about 5 hours to install the new box?

Seems like it would be safer than connecting live.

Replacing the service means connecting live no matter what. There is no individual disconnect at the poco and they are not going to drop the whole street just to change a service.

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 05:35:37 PM »

I'm not an electrician either...  And I wonder about the ethics of skipping the meter in the example video from ToH.  That said, I have never seen power shut down before the meter in a residential situation.  Typically it is done hot afaik. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I did services all the time I think I would have a meter box with CS in and out so I could transfer the meter and avoid the ethics issue.

On the other hand we are likely talking about a buck or two of usage for the day (being actually 1/3rd of a full day.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 05:37:18 PM »

I don't know where to start on that whole setup. WOW!!!  Nothing about that seems right. Bypassing the meter completely?  Yikes.

The argument that power is needed in the house is a bit strange too, as their power tap is just external for some power tools.  The house is still without power unless they run a bunch of extension cords.

Either the power was off at the pole, or the load was already disconnected at the breaker panel, as you would probably have seen a spark when cutting a live wire under load.  I especially found it exciting that he started by cutting the neutral wire to 'get it out of the way'  LOL.  Electricians.....
Brian Jojade

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 05:43:52 PM »

I don't know where to start on that whole setup. WOW!!!  Nothing about that seems right. Bypassing the meter completely?  Yikes.

The argument that power is needed in the house is a bit strange too, as their power tap is just external for some power tools.  The house is still without power unless they run a bunch of extension cords.

Either the power was off at the pole, or the load was already disconnected at the breaker panel, as you would probably have seen a spark when cutting a live wire under load.  I especially found it exciting that he started by cutting the neutral wire to 'get it out of the way'  LOL.  Electricians.....

I expect they threw the main switch in the basement first. 

I also expect they ran some extension cords for the freezer and fridge.

What bothered me is there is no ground mentioned.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 05:43:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.