ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 240 volt to 2 x 120 volt 15/20amp connectors  (Read 6686 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
240 volt to 2 x 120 volt 15/20amp connectors
« on: August 20, 2016, 06:08:55 PM »

Anyone using 240 volt to 120 volt electrical pigtails... similar to the attachment?

The attached image is from what Home Depot sells.  I'm looking for something like this, but more "appropriate" than what Home Depot sells (i.e. SOOW cord).

I'm looking to pick up a few and would be interested in what others are using (or have used).

Thanks.

Jerome Malsack

Re: 240 volt to 2 x 120 volt 15/20amp connectors
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »

Better to ask in the power and grounding side of the forum ?

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 06:49:35 PM »

There is no safe way to do it without a breaker or gfci on each outlet IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 07:03:19 PM »

oops, yes this should have been posted in the electrical section.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 07:24:35 PM »

Ok are you connecting this to a generator for the power source ?

The cord you show is typical of the contractor grade generators and has the breaker at the generator for each side of the pig tail.

It would be better to use a power distro that is made by the electricians and meets the codes for the industry.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 07:25:32 PM »

Anyone using 240 volt to 120 volt electrical pigtails... similar to the attachment?

The attached image is from what Home Depot sells.  I'm looking for something like this, but more "appropriate" than what Home Depot sells (i.e. SOOW cord).

I'm looking to pick up a few and would be interested in what others are using (or have used).

Thanks.
Adapters like that are only acceptable if the input is a L14-20 connector. Any other combination will either not have the correct wires or not have the necessary over-current protection.  Look into spider boxes for a low-cost distro that can be adapted to more scenarios safely.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:47:12 PM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 08:11:21 PM »

Ok are you connecting this to a generator for the power source ?

The cord you show is typical of the contractor grade generators and has the breaker at the generator for each side of the pig tail.

It would be better to use a power distro that is made by the electricians and meets the codes for the industry.
These would not be used on generators.

There's been a couple of sites where I've provided sound where they had a few 240 volt "feeders" (female ends) directly attached to their load centers.  Basically, you could "tie-in" to their load center using their provided feeds. 

Adapters like that are only acceptable if the input is a L14-20 connector. Any other combination will either not have the correct wires or not have the necessary over-current protection.  Look into spider boxes for a low-cost district that can be adapted to more scenarios safely.
We use spider boxes when there's generators involved.

The tie-in "dongles" hanging out of these load centers look like they are made pretty good (SOOW wire, Hubble connectors, all in great shape).  Using their provided "tie-ins" would give me access to more circuits.  And yes, I would need to double check what type of connectors are in use (i.e. L14-20, etc...)

Thanks for the replies.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 08:38:23 PM »

"Directly Attached" through a breaker, or straight to lugs?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 08:50:51 PM »

"Directly Attached" through a breaker, or straight to lugs?

-Ray
Through a double-pole breaker. 

These load centers, with the "feeders", are in commercial buildings. 

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 03:20:18 PM »

These would not be used on generators.

There's been a couple of sites where I've provided sound where they had a few 240 volt "feeders" (female ends) directly attached to their load centers.  Basically, you could "tie-in" to their load center using their provided feeds. 
We use spider boxes when there's generators involved.

The tie-in "dongles" hanging out of these load centers look like they are made pretty good (SOOW wire, Hubble connectors, all in great shape).  Using their provided "tie-ins" would give me access to more circuits.  And yes, I would need to double check what type of connectors are in use (i.e. L14-20, etc...)

Thanks for the replies.

Regardless of shore or generator power, the most important thing is not the actual connectors involved, but rather the Over Current Protective Device protecting the circuit.  Since you will be using either 15 or 20 amp cords/plugs, the OPCD needs to be rated 20 amps or less.
Steve Swaffer

Scott Helmke

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 06:29:45 PM »

We use L14-20 connectors in that sort of application. Dedicated outlets on the distro (Motion Labs) with 20 amp 2-pole breakers, 12/4 or bigger cable, and quad boxes or other breakouts to get to Edison.  We're not compatible with other companies L14-30 setups, but we don't need overcurrent devices aside from what's in the distro already. 

Locking connectors and two circuits per cable is reasonably handy for us.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 11:08:53 PM »

We use L14-20 connectors in that sort of application. Dedicated outlets on the distro (Motion Labs) with 20 amp 2-pole breakers, 12/4 or bigger cable, and quad boxes or other breakouts to get to Edison.  We're not compatible with other companies L14-30 setups, but we don't need overcurrent devices aside from what's in the distro already. 

I am moving to this system, too.  Not needing downstream breakers is very nice, and being able to simply swap out the quad box and have 2 x 120v circuits or 1 x 208/240v circuit - or even both at the same time with a passthrough is very handy.  Being able to use 12/4 and not needing to derate the cable for two circuits is an added bonus.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 07:51:18 AM »

I am moving to this system, too.  Not needing downstream breakers is very nice, and being able to simply swap out the quad box and have 2 x 120v circuits or 1 x 208/240v circuit - or even both at the same time with a passthrough is very handy.  Being able to use 12/4 and not needing to derate the cable for two circuits is an added bonus.
Thanks for the info. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 07:51:18 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.