ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about UPS's  (Read 7051 times)

David Buckley

Re: A question about UPS's
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 05:21:14 PM »

... what I want is a "true sine wave" UPS. As I understand it, this means that you're always running off the battery with corrected voltage available even during brown-outs, surges and spikes.

Apples and oranges mixed alert.

A "true sine wave UPS" outputs, well, a true sine wave, as opposed to a stepped sine wave, or square waves.

A UPS that "always running off the battery with corrected voltage available even during brown-outs, surges and spikes" is an "online" UPS, "always online", or a "dual conversion", or something similar.    UPSs that are not "online" normally provide power directly from the mains, only switching to the inverter if the mains fails.

You can have any combination of online and standby, and true sine versus stepped.

As others have noted, if you're protecting digital electronics, it'll have a switched mode power supply, and wont care what the input waveform looks like, even DC is acceptable to most SMPSs.  If one is using stepped output UPS and there is noise appearing in the audio, then there is another problem present.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 08:30:11 PM »

The company I worked for moved away from the "always online" UPSs because when the battery went bad, after three years like they always do... It would, without much warning, kill the output of the entire unit.  These were in online 24/7 installations. Maybe this has been remedied with the current crop, but it only took getting bit once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 09:12:42 AM »

If one is using stepped output UPS and there is noise appearing in the audio, then there is another problem present.

+1
Not to Code

David Buckley

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 05:32:13 PM »

The company I worked for moved away from the "always online" UPSs because when the battery went bad, after three years like they always do... It would, without much warning, kill the output of the entire unit.

This is the Lord's way of reminding you that you aren't doing preventative maintenance....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 05:32:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.