ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Producer, how to switch applied fx on and off.  (Read 10837 times)

Alan Carroll

• Alan Carroll
X32 Producer, how to switch applied fx on and off.
« on: August 20, 2016, 07:54:10 AM »

Hi, I've just made the move from a Yamaha analogue mixer to an X32 Producer and I've wasted some time today trying to figure out how to toggle effects on and off.  I have assigned effects to channels 15 and 16 to apply to mics and one mic in particular needs to have the effects turned off frequently throughout the night for announcements.
I can see from the Operational Overview that custom assignments can be created 'to control a parameter like the lead vocalist's reverb on/off status', but I just can't put it into practice. I want to apply the switch to set B. I've tried many different settings, but just don't seem to be able achieve the result.  I'm hopeful someone may take the time to set me straight on Assign, or even whether that is the best way to do what I want to do.
Thank you.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: X32 Producer, how to switch applied fx on and off.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »

Hi, I've just made the move from a Yamaha analogue mixer to an X32 Producer and I've wasted some time today trying to figure out how to toggle effects on and off.  I have assigned effects to channels 15 and 16 to apply to mics and one mic in particular needs to have the effects turned off frequently throughout the night for announcements.
I can see from the Operational Overview that custom assignments can be created 'to control a parameter like the lead vocalist's reverb on/off status', but I just can't put it into practice. I want to apply the switch to set B. I've tried many different settings, but just don't seem to be able achieve the result.  I'm hopeful someone may take the time to set me straight on Assign, or even whether that is the best way to do what I want to do.
Thank you.

No one can help you until you change your display name to your real name per the forum rules.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Alan Carroll

• Alan Carroll
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 08:45:22 AM »

oops, sorry, thought it was automatic.

Mark Oakley

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 08:59:09 AM »

Aren't there Mute buttons on the Effect Return channels?

-Mark
Oakley Audio

Alan Carroll

• Alan Carroll
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 09:38:04 AM »

Aren't there Mute buttons on the Effect Return channels?

-Mark

Yes there are.  Guess I was looking for a shortcut.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 09:40:49 AM »

Assign the FX returns to mute group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

John P. Farrell

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 09:59:50 AM »

You could use a Mute Group, DCA, Bus.....there are a lot of options.  If your vocals and FX are returned to the same layer you could just mute them there too. 
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »

Thank you.

Hi Alan-

I'm not sure what you're trying to do that can't be accomplished with muting either the EFX send or return, or muting a group or VCA if the FX return channel is assigned to one of those.

Is this about some workflow issue?  Perhaps "gee the returns are on layer 4 and I'm spending most of my time of layer 1" thing?

The Producer does not have dedicated Mute Group controls.  As I'm not familiar with the Producer, perhaps someone else can tell us if the "Assign" buttons can be made into either Mute Group control or can be assigned just to mute a specific input (or FX return).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John L Nobile

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 04:39:27 PM »

I always assign verb mute to the programmable switches and decay time to the rotary encoder. Will use it for level too if I don't have a spare VCA.
Those 3 pages of assignable buttons/encoders are very useful for me.

Alan Carroll

• Alan Carroll
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 08:29:42 PM »

Thank you for the help and suggestions guys.
I got my Assign Buttons set up.
I was about to take a couple of pics of the screen setups in Assign, figuring that whatever I was doing wrong would show up to someone who knew, when I decided to have another try at configuring it, (slept on it ;D) Where I was going wrong was the first column, Select Control, I should have been on Button 1, not Encoder 1.  I'm sure I tried that yesterday, but my other settings may have been wrong at the time.
I figured Mute Groups was a good suggestion, but trying to set one up caused me some frustration. Behringer Wiki information, supposedly specific for the Producer, told me that I had Mute Group buttons on my board
that would set a Mute Group.  Well of course that's not so, and I still haven't figured out how to set a Mute Grup using the rotary knobs.

Yes Tim, it's about workflow, the hands can be pretty busy when I make announcements and I'd prefer
not to have to navigate layers at that moment, and John, your comments convinced me that Assign was the way to go, so I persevered.
I'm interested also in your comments about assigning decay time to a rotary encoder and level control John, but for now I'd better get my head into the next relevant task, monitor set ups.

Thanks again for the help guys, much appreciated, I have a lot to learn, but going digital is very exciting.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 08:29:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.