ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 Scene setup  (Read 9084 times)

David McLaughlin

x32 Scene setup
« on: August 22, 2016, 04:13:48 PM »

We have a new x32 we use in our theatre for plays and such. Because of the large number of mics we use for the actors, we are setting scenes on the mixer for the different scenes in the play. This way we can have the right mics on and off depending on whos on stage talking.
On the screen when you press "View" on the scenes section, there's a tab for home, and one for scenes, and several others. We have all the scenes set up under the scenes tab, but we can't use the back and next buttons unless they're set up in the home tab it seems. However, we can't seem to get the scenes in "scenes" to load over to "home." Can someone give me a little clarity here?
Currently working in community theatre. Past exp. in live sound and radio production.

Laurence Nefzger

• Kirkland, WA USA
Re: x32 Scene setup
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 04:32:08 PM »

Go to your Setup button. Navigate to Config tab and choose "Scenes" for Show Control.

There are historical reasons for this configuration should you want to delve deeper.

David McLaughlin

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:36:07 PM »

There are historical reasons for this configuration should you want to delve deeper.

Please go on, I'm listening.
Currently working in community theatre. Past exp. in live sound and radio production.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 05:08:28 PM »

David,

I don't use cues/scenes/snippets a whole lot in my X32's, but when doing theatre stuff I tend to use snippets in my cues more than scenes. I think the X32 can save up to 100 scenes and 100 snippets, but up to 500 cues. There's third party software out there if you need to do more than that.

The way the X32 file structure is set up is different than any other mixer that I know of, but here's an overview. Scenes are a snapshot of the whole board, minus whatever you have "safed" (routing, etc). Snippets are a snapshot of a narrow portion or portions of the board. You can get very specific, such as recalling just the fader level of a particular channel, or FX mute, almost anything. Where I find this most useful for theatre stuff is to recall channel mutes and DCA assignments.

Cues are made up of a scene, a snippet, or both. I typically don't use scenes in a cue, just snippets. I use those snippets to change the channel mute status, DCA name, and DCA assignment of the channels I need in the cue. A DCA might be one person in one cue, a different person in the next cue, a group of people in the following cue, playback music for the next cue, and so on. DCA assignments change constantly throughout the show, and I set it up so the most important channels in the cue are on the first DCA's, the orchestra or playback is usually on the last. I don't have to touch the channel faders much, and the snippets take care of all the mutes and DCA assignments. It works really well.

I set up a snippet for every actor configuration in the show, and label them well. If a scene in the show has the exact same actors as a previous scene, I use the same snippet for both cues. If not, I make a new snippet. I typically use them just for mutes and DCA assignments, but you can easily have a snippet for almost anything (or lots of things at once, if you wanted).

You could use scenes for this, but it's a lot easier (in my opinion) to use snippets. With snippets you're not reloading the whole board every time you change a cue, you're just changing a few little things.

To add a scene or snippet to a cue, go to the home tab, scroll down to the cue you want to insert the scene/snippet onto, and select the scene or snippet you want to use in that cue. To make a snippet for mutes and DCA assignments you get the board set the way you want it, check the boxes for config and mute on the channels and DCA's you want to change, and save the snippet in an available slot.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Laurence Nefzger

• Kirkland, WA USA
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 06:17:08 PM »

Please go on, I'm listening.
There was a hue and cry after the original release of the X32 that 100 scenes was not enough for a lot of applications (Theater). In a subsequent release of the X32 firmware this was addressed by introduction of "Snippets" and "Cues". Cues are made up of either "Scenes" or "Snippets" and one can utilize up to 500 of them.
Viewing the produced videos on Scene Management or reading through the various Firmware Release Notes will bring you up to speed on the developments.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 10:11:12 PM »

We have a new x32 we use in our theatre for plays and such. Because of the large number of mics we use for the actors, we are setting scenes on the mixer for the different scenes in the play. This way we can have the right mics on and off depending on whos on stage talking.
On the screen when you press "View" on the scenes section, there's a tab for home, and one for scenes, and several others. We have all the scenes set up under the scenes tab, but we can't use the back and next buttons unless they're set up in the home tab it seems. However, we can't seem to get the scenes in "scenes" to load over to "home." Can someone give me a little clarity here?

It depends on how much time you have to massage your show. You can be very creative if you can reuse scenes and snippets and spread them out over the 500 cues. The cues themselves (as has been said) only recall scenes and or snippets up to one of each per cue. And you can add decimal point cues in between.  You can do a lot with it.

But for me I use Palladium by http://chsounddesign.com/ it is a theater management software that isn’t free. But it is so powerful and fast to use I bought a copy for myself. If you want any more information about it I would be glad to help you in any way that I can.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 10:11:12 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.