ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub SPL in "stadium style" seating  (Read 2783 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Sub SPL in "stadium style" seating
« on: August 19, 2016, 11:31:45 PM »

I'm working out some logistic issues with an upcoming event.  In particular, how well the bass will project in a "stadium style" seating area.

The sub setup - this will be an outdoor event - 2 x JBL SRX728S sitting on pavement (though, actually sitting on 2x4's to keep it off the ground); subs will be backed up to a wood construction wall (with about 3" of space between the back of the sub and wood wall).  The wall is about 3' tall (directly in front of stage).  Subs will be about 12' apart on center, the seating area is about 30 ft wide (at the first row) to about 60 ft. wide in the back.  The ground is flat directly front of the subs for about 10 ft.  After the 10 ft. mark, the seating area begins a slow incline for about 50'.  At the top of the seating area (at the rear of the audience area), is about a 10 ft. elevation above the subs.  The seating area is wider than it is deep. 

Last time I provided sound in something like this (though, an all grass area at that time), the bass roll-off (SPL) was rather extreme near the top of the seating area (though, the seating area was a little larger than the area I described above).

The subs do great on flat surfaces; chest slamming bass 100' feet out.

Question - is there a better way to get bass projection (better SPL) near the top of the seating area?  Would it be beneficial to tilt the subs up a few degrees?  The subs need to stay off the stage due to the stage floor construction of wood (too much bass resonance).

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:43:20 PM by Bob Faulkner »

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Re: Sub SPL in "stadium style" seating
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:28:58 PM »

We do sound every week in a raked hall and we have found for the sub bass not to die out a ton in the rear we had to angle up the cabs a little. This is a carpeted room though, so my guess was the carpet was eating up a good chunk of bass.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 06:55:45 AM »

I'm working out some logistic issues with an upcoming event.  In particular, how well the bass will project in a "stadium style" seating area.

The sub setup - this will be an outdoor event - 2 x JBL SRX728S sitting on pavement (though, actually sitting on 2x4's to keep it off the ground); subs will be backed up to a wood construction wall (with about 3" of space between the back of the sub and wood wall).  The wall is about 3' tall (directly in front of stage).  Subs will be about 12' apart on center, the seating area is about 30 ft wide (at the first row) to about 60 ft. wide in the back.  The ground is flat directly front of the subs for about 10 ft.  After the 10 ft. mark, the seating area begins a slow incline for about 50'.  At the top of the seating area (at the rear of the audience area), is about a 10 ft. elevation above the subs.  The seating area is wider than it is deep. 

Last time I provided sound in something like this (though, an all grass area at that time), the bass roll-off (SPL) was rather extreme near the top of the seating area (though, the seating area was a little larger than the area I described above).

The subs do great on flat surfaces; chest slamming bass 100' feet out.

Question - is there a better way to get bass projection (better SPL) near the top of the seating area?  Would it be beneficial to tilt the subs up a few degrees?  The subs need to stay off the stage due to the stage floor construction of wood (too much bass resonance).

Thoughts?
Is it 2 cabs per side?
If so, try offestting the top and bottom cabs with a bit of delay (delay top cab) or pysically by placement.
This will "tip" the lobe up a bit.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 08:59:51 AM »

Thanks for the responses.

There's only 2 cabs total; which are sort of centered (separated by ~12ft between the two).  Good idea on delaying... certainly something I will consider if I end up with more subs on future shows.

I'll try tilting the cabinets up a few degrees.  It's an outside location with an all cement floor and aluminum seating (bench seating).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 08:59:51 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.