ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ear Trumpet "Edwina" microphone.  (Read 5956 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Ear Trumpet "Edwina" microphone.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 08:00:49 pm »

I had this sort of thing fail miserably once on a outside stage at night when the crickets kicked in. They're so loud that they drowned out my bluegrass band using a pair of Neumann mics in XY stereo.

Seems like you got hit with a bad case of Chirpies.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Scott Helmke

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 11:34:13 am »

When the one mic technique works, it is great. When it is not so practiced...

One thing that gets me is when the band leader fails to judge the level when speaking to the audience between songs. I often end up with a between songs setting, but too much adjustment just throws the band off.

This technique does seem to come and go, or maybe it's that every band has to try it but just a few actually stick with it.

Back a dozen years I built a few fancy mics for the application too. It's great that the Ear Trumpet guy is getting some sales, but I doubt he's entirely quit his day job.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 09:30:52 pm »

Here's the recording from that night using the Ear Trumpet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22z1C0aRTug
"At first you don't succeed, go back to the drawing board."

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 12:29:38 am »

This technique does seem to come and go, or maybe it's that every band has to try it but just a few actually stick with it.

Here's a pic of another band from the same show. They insisted that I put just one mic in the center, but as you can see I added separate spot mics. That way it "looked" like they were being picked up on a single mic. The next band then told me they wanted to use a single mic like these guys since it worked so well. But I put spot mics on this band too since I couldn't get enough GBF. I was standing by with extra spot mics for the final act with the Ear Trumpet mics just in case they didn't work in soundcheck. Of course, three mics are better than one since they can be much closer to them. I'm sure that a single Ear Trumpet mic in the center would not have worked. 
Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 12:44:06 am »

Here's a pic of another band from the same show. They insisted that I put just one mic in the center, but as you can see I added separate spot mics. That way it "looked" like they were being picked up on a single mic. The next band then told me they wanted to use a single mic like these guys since it worked so well. But I put spot mics on this band too since I couldn't get enough GBF. I was standing by with extra spot mics for the final act with the Ear Trumpet mics just in case they didn't work in soundcheck. Of course, three mics are better than one since they can be much closer to them. I'm sure that a single Ear Trumpet mic in the center would not have worked.

About 3ms of delay on the spot mics and vox... solo each mic in the headphones with the LDC and rock the spot mic delay back and forth til it sounds right.  Repeat for each small mic.  You can make it sound "big" while still keeping the mix kind of intimate.  Fudge the delay times a bit for 'color' if you're so inclined.

That Faux Center LDC can be used, just not the way the band would assume.  Their spacing and positional awareness pretty much makes the Bluegrass Dance a non-starter.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 12:44:06 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 23 queries.