ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio channel interference band aid in Riedel Artist  (Read 2776 times)

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Radio channel interference band aid in Riedel Artist
« on: August 15, 2016, 05:02:17 PM »

Several of the semi duplex radio channels are used for critical cuing and occasionally a “ready” response from the crew.  If a radio user inadvertently sits on the PTT key and disrupts the radio channel it could be a problem. 

The cues are still going out but the additional audio interference, especially when it is very noisy out, prompts repeated calls from the SM, “Please check you keys!”  Of course the offending radio user would never hear this. 

This is how I dealt with it on my show.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Brew-James Breward

Re: Radio channel interference band aid in Riedel Artist
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 05:08:59 PM »

Several of the semi duplex radio channels are used for critical cuing and occasionally a “ready” response from the crew.  If a radio user inadvertently sits on the PTT key and disrupts the radio channel it could be a problem. 

The cues are still going out but the additional audio interference, especially when it is very noisy out, prompts repeated calls from the SM, “Please check you keys!”  Of course the offending radio user would never hear this. 

This is how I dealt with it on my show.

Hi Pete, I've also seen people use the route audio key in order to get the mobile TX back to the base TX works great if you only have a few interfaced radio channels as you can just swing on the encoder.  If you have as many as you do right now, not quite as easy also you don't want the functionality of all the radios to be hanging off your panel with it's single connection and single PSU.

Cheers
Brew

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 05:37:37 PM »

Hi Pete, I've also seen people use the route audio key in order to get the mobile TX back to the base TX works great if you only have a few interfaced radio channels as you can just swing on the encoder.  If you have as many as you do right now, not quite as easy also you don't want the functionality of all the radios to be hanging off your panel with it's single connection and single PSU.

Cheers
Brew

Yes this way the radio channel still works if my panel goes off line.  One of the features we have asked for is a modification to the dim XP command which could DIM IN or OUT.  Then you wouldn't need to use a separate AIO port.

Another way which is simpler is to just have the radio port volume on your panel, fade it down and then back up but thats a little harder.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:40:03 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Neil White

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 01:59:46 AM »

Here in the UK it is pretty common, particularly in outside broadcast, to see crew carrying a pair of radios, one set up as listen only and the other talk only on a semi dupe channel. The user can always hear the repeater, even if they are the one transmitting. They would be able to hear the base telling them to check their keys, and may even notice that the noise from a mistaken PTT is them. Since they can hear their transmissions on the listen radio coming back via the base there is also some confidence sidetone that their messages are being received at the truck.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 03:38:45 AM »

Thats a good point Neil. Something I'd like to see used more, even with 2 radios into a single headset - one doing talk path, one doing listen path. Its now essentially fully duplex, but much cheaper than a real FD system, with greater range. Not to mention you can flick your talk radio onto a simplex channel and have a chat with someone without losing the listen on the duplex.

The other thing worth doing on really critical semi-duplex channels like that, is to program the radios with a relatively short timeout on the TX, that way the problem won't persist for too long. IME, channels like this only need 10-20 seconds of TX time per TX max. Normally just a couple of seconds
Riedel Communications

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 03:38:45 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.