ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED] QUESTION - Yamaha 01V96i displaying Synch Error  (Read 11683 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: QUESTION - Yamaha 01V96i displaying Synch Error
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 03:46:23 PM »

Just to skip past all the other useful information, if you want this to work reliably day in and day out use the BNC clock connections and set the ADA8000 accordingly.  Clocking via ADAT works right up til when it doesn't.  Reliable clocking is worth a few dollars or Euros spent on a locking connector and a robust clock signal.  Want  to run multiple outboard devices all clocked from the console?  Invest in a clock distribution amp, they are relatively cheap unless you fall for the boutique clock voodoo.

Yep. For the record, when we use our ADA8000 units (which seems to be less and less these days! I guess we're not struggling for channel counts anymore. Haha) we always run both opto cable and the word clock BNC cable. It's not expensive, and we like making sure it's as robust as possible!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »

You can.

Set the switch EXACTLY like this:

2 opto cables to connect the console to the ADA8000. No BNC cable required. You should get a solid sync.

-Ray

This is how I do mine. I use either the Adat OUT from the 01v96 for word clock OR the BNC out on the 01v96 to the BNC in on the ada8000.  I don't remember if its 75 ohm cable or 50 ohm. I've never had to terminate it when using just the single ada.  I've never had any problems with either setup. The BNC is more robust but for me it was always either / or not to use both. Not sure how that would work.
Its been so long that I haven't changed anything but I believe there is a way to change the bit rate as well. 16 bit or 24? May want to look into that as well. I've used my behringer just once in awhile. I have an early 01V (not 96) that I use with an adat card more now.

Douglas R. Allen

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »

This is how I do mine. I use either the Adat OUT from the 01v96 for word clock OR the BNC out on the 01v96 to the BNC in on the ada8000.  I don't remember if its 75 ohm cable or 50 ohm. I've never had to terminate it when using just the single ada.  I've never had any problems with either setup. The BNC is more robust but for me it was always either / or not to use both. Not sure how that would work.
Its been so long that I haven't changed anything but I believe there is a way to change the bit rate as well. 16 bit or 24? May want to look into that as well. I've used my behringer just once in awhile. I have an early 01V (not 96) that I use with an adat card more now.

Douglas R. Allen

I still run a MkII MOTU unit as a TDIF expander for Tascam DM24, you run the three 8 channel TDIF connectors then use the console clock as the master interconnected via the BNC.  Don't forget if you setup a chain of BNC T's. to terminate both ends so the line doesn't ring.  Personally, since I grew up in the world of 10Base2 Ethernet I use t's and terminators even on a two device topology.

I know my discussion (and the presonus) are very deep dives however I have a very strong viewpoint that giving tactical advice on issues like this does more harm than good.  You show someone how to hook it up but they don't understand the why so the next situation they are right back asking how to do it again.  Worse when it doesn't work since they don't understand how it works you can't fix it.  Teaching how something works shifts advice to strategic, when and how to deploy the technology.  Since you know how it works you can find problems.  Working on any gear that uses the technology now becomes an exercise in parsing vendor specific implementation of verbiage.  Your value to the client goes through the roof.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 04:58:36 PM »

Douglas R. Allen

This reminds me of a point. If you are using 2 ada8xxx units, do NOT clock the 2nd one from the clock out of the first one. It will be delayed which will really mess things up. The out is only when it is the clock master.

The proper way is to come out of the 01v96 and go to a tee connected to the first unit then continue to the next unit, also to a tee, and then to a terminator. I don't remember for sure but I thought word clock was 75 ohms. I am sure someone will correct me if I got that wrong.
Once I set my rig up with proper clock I never had problems again and could use a single toslink cable if I only needed inputs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 06:22:02 PM »

This reminds me of a point. If you are using 2 ada8xxx units, do NOT clock the 2nd one from the clock out of the first one. It will be delayed which will really mess things up. The out is only when it is the clock master.

The proper way is to come out of the 01v96 and go to a tee connected to the first unit then continue to the next unit, also to a tee, and then to a terminator. I don't remember for sure but I thought word clock was 75 ohms. I am sure someone will correct me if I got that wrong.
Once I set my rig up with proper clock I never had problems again and could use a single toslink cable if I only needed inputs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just checked one of my BNC cables and mine say 75 ohms. Been using them for some time now.  I do know I used the BNC out to a Fostex D1624 and D824 then later to a ADA8000 / D1624/D824 with BNC out. Just did the T at each input then a T terminator at the end and it always worked fine.  The D16 and D8 would MIDI sync for 24 channels of Adat recording. Still have those units

Douglas R. Allen

Fernando Lucchesi

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 12:28:28 PM »

Just checked one of my BNC cables and mine say 75 ohms. Been using them for some time now.  I do know I used the BNC out to a Fostex D1624 and D824 then later to a ADA8000 / D1624/D824 with BNC out. Just did the T at each input then a T terminator at the end and it always worked fine.  The D16 and D8 would MIDI sync for 24 channels of Adat recording. Still have those units

Douglas R. Allen

Well, I guess I'll get myself a BNC cable and a T junction then...
I thought I could make it work without the WC, but apparently that's a bad idea...

Thanks for the help, guys!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 12:28:28 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.