ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons not to buy crappy XLR cable pack from PSSL  (Read 21082 times)

Roland Clarke

Re: Reasons not to buy crappy XLR cable pack from PSSL
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2016, 04:13:56 PM »

Any opinions on this from PSSL:

http://www.pssl.com/25ft-XLR-to-XLR-Microphone-Cable-8-Pack

I realize maybe not the best quality but eight 25' XLR cables for $50 is hard to say no to and for use by less than Lounge level guy.

And that's the rub! 

It's tempting, but completely false economy.  I've only ever bought a handful of ready-made xlr cables, but I've always insisted on Neutrik plugs and decent cable.  Decent cable doesn't need to cost a fortune, I've used most things over the years, but cheaper cable from Studiospares and Canford audio have also worked fine.  As a guide I would expect to be paying around £1.00 a metre.  I don't buy esoteric cable, my last 100m drum was of Van Damme and was easy to work with and is holding up well.

All this being said, I've had several occasions in the last 10 years where I've used other people's rigs and they have bought cheap, Chinese pre packed cables.  My experience has been that the connectors can be problematic regarding fit, latches, getting bent, poor pins, etc.  The cheap cable on these leads can be problematic for coiling and also is subceptable to splitting down the length, particularly when cold.  I've never had these problems with my own leads, some of which are around 30 years old and still going strong.

IMHO, there is nothing much that screams "amateur hour", than cable failures.  To be honest, thinking about it now, I could rank the quality of companies I've worked with by the level of signal lead problems the have and it would equate accurately to the companies quality and competence.  Buy quality and you don't need many spares.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2016, 05:45:03 PM »

IMHO, there is nothing much that screams "amateur hour", than cable failures.  To be honest, thinking about it now, I could rank the quality of companies I've worked with by the level of signal lead problems the have and it would equate accurately to the companies quality and competence.  Buy quality and you don't need many spares.

Bingo.  That describes it perfectly. Yes, a good cable may cost 5-10X as much as the cheap throw away cable.  Yeah, over time you could replace the cheap cables as they fail and not care about the  cost of doing so. Yeah, over your lifetime, the cheap cables may cost a little less if you take care of them.  But the big problem is that they are likely to FAIL on you.  With good quality cables, you know that when you plug them in, they are going to work.

It's hard enough to do a quick patch on stage when everything goes as planned. When you have to scramble to figure out which cable is bad in your cheapie kit, it makes you look like you don't know what's going on.

If you're willing to buy el-cheapo mic cables, you probably have a bin of orange PVC extension cords too......
Brian Jojade

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2016, 08:36:53 PM »

If you're willing to buy el-cheapo mic cables, you probably have a bin of orange PVC extension cords too......

:) :) :) :)

Truth
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2016, 08:36:53 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.