ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons not to buy crappy XLR cable pack from PSSL  (Read 21086 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: XLR cable pack from PSSL
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »

I only use a few lengths most gigs. I used to bring many lengths to a show but at one time I had a guy who would fuss over getting the best length for each run and it took forever.

So, for b rig sized things, it is all 20' except for specials like jumpers from subs to tops, drum mic right angles, or mults to amp racks or wireless.
Much easier and faster.
The A rig is mostly 25-30' on the stage with the same exceptions above. A few 50' or 100' for remote speakers when needed. Pretty easy to tell a 25 from a 100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2016, 01:30:10 PM »

Good idea, but some folks may struggle to tell the difference between red and purple - especially in a dimly lit venue.

Is there anything sacred about your color scheme?

Dave
Well, since there's no purple cable pack, red is only going to be on one side (the cable pack side of the tag). Since red isn't used on the length side, I don't see where anyone could get confused.

As I mentioned before, this color scheme is the same one used by two other companies in my area that we work closely with. In order to make it very easy on cross rentals, I decided to duplicate their labeling schemes. That way, when either they have our gear, or I have their gear, or we're otherwise working together, less time has to be spent explaining a "Special" labeling method.

As to why THEY chose these patterns, I couldn't tell you!

In regards to the resistor code- well, technically, I mean we're still in the same order, just not using brown, and more specific numbers. So we hit blue/purple quicker. I do not want to have people needing to spend time on site, "red, plus orange, divide by three, carry the two, add the square root of pi, and that's my length."

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2016, 03:50:52 PM »

I've gotten about 15 years of weekender use out of 25 odd cables I bought from Orange County Speaker.  I had to resolder one connector and toss one that got stepped on or rolled over hard enough to pinch the conductors.  I do try to get Rapco or similar cables nowadays, but these cheapies keep hanging on.

Orange County is now GLS for those who might want to know.  I have had about 40 of their cables for a couple of years and so far no issues.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2016, 04:58:03 PM »

I've now officially been in this business for 30 years.  So I know whereof I speak.  XLR cables are the ONLY part of your rig you will still have decades from now.  Period.  All those cool mixers and amps and speakers will all be gone, but your cables will remain.
And Mics. The AKG D12 and pair of Calrec 1050s I bought secondhand out of "Loot" in the UK in 1980 are still doing sterling service on kick and overheads, as are the 25 pink XLR cables I made up around the same time for a tour of an all girl group. As a bonus, being the colour that they are, not a single one has been stolen.
M

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2016, 07:28:37 PM »

While most don't know "resistor code," many remember the colors of the rainbow which make up the bulk of the code. We skipped black for obvious reasons, used brown for short jumpers that you don't see often then move up from there.

Resistor code IS just rainbow code, with black and brow in the front, indigo removed, and grey and white added to the end.

Why is it obvious to skip black as a color?

For printing the labels, I use Avery waterproof laser labels, printed inverted with a color laser printer.  Small, and unobtrusive, the color is easy to distinguish.  The label with all info on it, including cable number, length, type and date of manufacture is easily put on a label less than 3/4" in length, then covered with clear shrink.

My 2 most common lengths are done in black, brown and dark blue, so hardly noticeable, even labeled at both ends.

The problem with electrical tape is that it ALWAYS ends up as a gooey mess eventually. Under heatshrink, it should last quite a while, but if you just use it on its own, you are destined for a mess.

Writing on cables with a sharpie does not last.  Writing with a paint pen works better for larger cables.

Colored dots inside the connector work, but don't make it easy to see the length without grabbing the end.
Brian Jojade

Lyle Williams

Re: Reasons not to buy crappy XLR cable pack from PSSL
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2016, 07:38:17 PM »

I have:

really short cables
2m cables
5m cables
10m cables
25m cables
100m cables

Zero chance of getting lengths mixed up.  They just look nothing like each other.  I did in the past mark lengths, but it turned out I never bothered to read the markings.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 07:41:02 PM by Lyle Williams »

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2016, 12:53:06 AM »

the sound co I came up under used resistor code as its standard, with only the only exception  being that white was substitute for black. So, 10' was white, 20' is red, 40' is yellow and 60' is blue....and 100' was also white.

Odd sizes still,adhere to the standard.  150' is a white/green, etc.

Logical.  And consistent.

Every.  Other. Color code.  Is just random. 

Yeah, I've learned to deal.  My best bud in the biz uses a proprietary, and random, color code.  But seriously.  At least base your colorcode on something other than whim..... 

Follow,resistor.  Follow Clair. Follow,SOMETHING.  we will thank you.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2016, 03:20:27 AM »

Yeah, I've learned to deal.  My best bud in the biz uses a proprietary, and random, color code.  But seriously.  At least base your colorcode on something other than whim..... 

I can't agree with this. Every "color code" is logical, to the person who creates it. As long as they are consistent throughout their inventory, there is some level of organization. Now, if you were to have something where different cable types had different systems, that'd be another story. :)

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2016, 06:35:40 AM »

the sound co I came up under used resistor code as its standard, with only the only exception  being that white was substitute for black. So, 10' was white, 20' is red, 40' is yellow and 60' is blue....and 100' was also white.
Odd sizes still,adhere to the standard.  150' is a white/green, etc.
Amen to that - Even rainbows and Pink Floyd labels follow the resistor colour code -
Which is why the warped individual who came up with cusinaire rods should have been
(fiendish punishment of your choice).

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2016, 02:41:02 PM »

Why is it obvious to skip black as a color?

I chose to skip black as to avoid a black label on a black cable--although you could just say "if it doesn't have color, it is x-length" and put no label on it to indicated black, but I could see some helpers getting a bit lost when one cable isn't like the rest.

And yes, rainbow code is a subset of resistor code, which is why I feel it is not out of the question for people to remember at least some of it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2016, 02:41:02 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.