ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons not to buy crappy XLR cable pack from PSSL  (Read 21124 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: XLR cable pack from PSSL
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2016, 02:53:58 AM »

Bad Boys R-!# our young girls but violet gives willingly.  Yeah like I am going stand on stage and try and remember the resistor color code.  I bet you know the tolerance rings and the inductor codes too.  That's cool but my addled old brain can't deal with that nor do I have anyone working for me that knows the code.

I can however read a 40pt font laminated on the lid of a case.  After about 200 shows I may even remember it.  Maybe.

Did I close the garage door ?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2016, 02:56:40 AM »

Here's the other part of the system- cable trunk labeling. I just whipped this up in Word. Print it, and either laminate or put in a sheet protector and tape it closed. THEN, use a rivet gun and permanently attach it to your cable trunk lid.

Everything you see here is in one quarter-pack cube. The "patch kit" is a bunch of Husky branded black zipper pouches from Home Depot- one has short XLRs (something like 16, from 12" to 3'), one has 1/4" inserts (not like we use those anymore... haha), one for iPod cables/rat tail, one with MM XLR barrels (8) and one with FF XLR barrels (8). One has 1/4" M to RCA-F adapters, ground lifts, phase reverses, and XLR-F to 1/4" F barrels. One has a selection of 1/4" cables, and one has 1/4" to XLR adapter cables. Finally, there is an "Accessory" pouch-- Sharpies, extra AA batteries, Thunderbolt to VGA adapter, extra Cat5e cable, extra Audiopile drawer keys, and (seems to be the most important here--) a couple of USB bricks and USB-iPod and USB-Lightning cables. People ALWAYS forget iPod/iPad charging materials, amiright? All of the cables, barrels, adapters, etc, [IN THIS KIT] share the yellow labeling with yellow e-tape.

Now, when you're at a show, and you have "volunteers" or even audio techs that don't work with you normally, they can easily find things. They know how to determine which cables are 25' long. They know how many are in there, so if they've only used a couple 25 footers, or maybe they wish they had a 100 footer-- they'll know there are two in this cube.

When the pack comes back to your shop, the warehouse guy can QC the kit and based on that sheet, determine whether or not all of the cables, adapters, etc made it back OK!

-Ray

edit: added code to make the (8) display correctly
That is awesome.  I already was doing the lid sheet just not assigning. cables to packs.  Then we grew in spurts and cables got bought and just tossed into a pack and never coded

That all ends starting Monday morning. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2016, 10:10:27 AM »

I already was doing the lid sheet just not assigning. cables to packs.  Then we grew in spurts and cables got bought and just tossed into a pack and never coded

Scott, we are upgrading all of our mic cable, about 400 of them all together.  Most of them 15 years old or so.  I have ordered the first 100 new ones from Horizon.  They are all 25'.  On the male end of the cable I am having a Neutrik with a red boot and my company name and phone number added to a piece of shrink wrap.  Our system is Yellow = 15' and under, Red = 25' and White = 50' or over.  I just decided that it was time to do it right.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2016, 10:50:08 AM »

The one thing i REALLY appreciated about my first sound company is that their color code was based on resistor code. Yeah, it might be Proprietary but it was based on something.

There are some other folks in our area that do this to, so when the time came for us to color code we did the same. While most don't know "resistor code," many remember the colors of the rainbow which make up the bulk of the code. We skipped black for obvious reasons, used brown for short jumpers that you don't see often then move up from there.

Brown=3'
Red=5'
Orange=10'
Yellow=25'
Green=50'
Blue=100'

Odd sizes outside of that are combinations of the above; O+R=15', G+Y=75', B+B=200'

And a few colors left over for future needs.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2016, 11:11:37 AM »

I don't think you really need a color to tell the difference between lengths, and I like looms so I prefer the color to tell the difference between cables within the loom.

My standard "backline/utility" loom is 3 25 ft cables with about 1 ft free at the male end and 10 ft free at the female end.

A basic drum setup might be 1 loom at the front of the kit (k,k,r), one RL (s,s,hh), one RR (t,t,t), plus possibly one extra (oh,oh, pad).

The same three lines in a loom can also cover an extra percussion position, or a keyboard position, or a combination of bass and guitar.

Three cables sit nice and tight in a triangle, and still coil nicely.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2016, 12:45:48 PM »

... the red stripe to the right of my asset tag is the case code (All RED cables go here!) and the purple stripe to the left is the length indicator (purple is either 10 or 50 feet).

Good idea, but some folks may struggle to tell the difference between red and purple - especially in a dimly lit venue.

Is there anything sacred about your color scheme?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2016, 12:53:18 PM »

Good idea, but some folks may struggle to tell the difference between red and purple - especially in a dimly lit venue.

Is there anything sacred about your color scheme?

Dave
+1 or color blinded
Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »

One local regional uses male end shrink wrap for both color (length) code, and clear shrink over the barcode which also has the company logo.

Virtually no one knows the resistor code, unless you were trained a discipline that required it.

5'  - green
10' - yellow
25' - red
50' - blue
75' red and blue
100 ' - white

These get racked on a wall.  When they go to a show, they are scanned into the workbox.  In the workbox (double wide clamshell type) they go into plastic tubs, shorts together, middle length together, then longs together.

When they return they get scanned back in and hung on the wall.

There is little that irks me more than having to pull a 50' cable for a last minute addition that needs a 5 or 10, or for a comms cable.  I love having plenty of shorts in the workbox

Small operators can get away with A rig - B rig - C rig, but when you grow to the point you have a lot going on, that model falls apart.  You then have to allocate your resources on a per show basis, not a per rig basis.  And for most, the transition from rig based to show based resource management causes them to change the way they do things.  Which can be painful.

While I'm at it, a large touring operation I'm familiar with uses "red white blue" to indicate "1 2 3" in a fly loom, and for other things.  It's an Americanism, but it's handy to know, just like "red right return", which will fall out of usage when the last person who used analog inserts dies.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2016, 03:08:02 PM »

When we made our cables, I just whipped out the label maker and put the actual lengths on the male XLR bodies.
"20  20  20" ,  "30  30  30" etc. and when wrapped around, shows the number from any angle.
It also identifies them as my cables.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »

We keep them in a 5 gallon bucket (blue of course).
600' total feet fit when you pack them like tires.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.