ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons not to buy crappy XLR cable pack from PSSL  (Read 20857 times)

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
Re: XLR cable pack from PSSL
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 03:20:12 PM »

I wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole.  I have seen too much trouble and time wasted with cheap Asian XLR copies.  The deal you mentioned comes to about 13.80 each.  You can get made in USA Rapco 25' with Neutrik connectors for $15.82.  Is it worth it to you to buy disposable cables to save $2.00 each? 

http://www.northernsoundandlight.com/Brands/Rapco-Horizon/Audio_Cables/_NM11.html
I buy those XLR cables from Kopul.

2000 series
http://www.kopulcables.com/listing?category=22640

or the 3000 with XX neutrik connectors. with option of colors.
http://www.kopulcables.com/listing?category=22641

Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

George Dougherty

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 04:25:03 PM »

I buy mine at Audiopile.net and they are pretty inexpensive and with a bit of care, last well. They sell them with optional Neutrik connectors but I have used their own.
I must have a hundred of them and in 10 years no failures. Of course, I coil them carefully and transport them in road cases.

Taking care of cables is good economy. You have a lot of money in cables. I have 2 50' xlr cables I made in the late 1960s with Switchcraft connectors that still work today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+1, Premium Series with Neutrik XX series connectors on them.  The older X series like on the Rapco linked above tend to deform easier with rough treatment.  XX Connectors, 22ga conductors, well shielded, handles well and worth every penny for a pre-made with that quality of components.  Just over $20 for a 25'.  I prefer mine in 10ft increments personally (I stock 10, 20, 30, 50 and 100ft in my rig)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »

Another bonus feature I've seen on cheap cables is that many of them will tie pin one to the XLR shell. Now you have a cable that not only can cause hum and noise problems but you can't get the stuck xlr connector out unit it's plugged into to stop the noise!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 12:00:33 AM »

XLR cables are, by far, the least sexy thing you will ever buy for your rig.  And as such, it's very tempting to see how cheap we can obtain said ugly necessary evil.

Don't.

I've now officially been in this business for 30 years.  So I know whereof I speak.  XLR cables are the ONLY part of your rig you will still have decades from now.  Period.  All those cool mixers and amps and speakers will all be gone, but your cables will remain.

Buy good cables.  Spend the money.  Deal with it.  You will NEVER be sorry.  I promise you.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 12:36:05 AM »

Another bonus feature I've seen on cheap cables is that many of them will tie pin one to the XLR shell. Now you have a cable that not only can cause hum and noise problems but you can't get the stuck xlr connector out unit it's plugged into to stop the noise!

Preach it, Brother!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 01:18:22 AM »

The older X series like on the Rapco linked above tend to deform easier with rough treatment.

I have never seen that with any Neutrik connector.  I must not be "rough" enough with them ;)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 02:44:29 AM »

I have never seen that with any Neutrik connector.  I must not be "rough" enough with them ;)

Rough enough?  Your systems look like they just came out of the box.  Your mixer was even pristine.  If you have other guys working for you Chuck I would love to know how you motivate them to take that good care of your stuff. 

I like to think our inventory has acquired some patina.

Seriously I have a friggin jammed XLR in my brand spanking new Blizzard Weather light bars.  First gig I send them out with one of my best guys and he friggin must have pushed this deformed connector in with a 10 pound sledge.

The comment on the cables being unsexy is true but they have a utilitarian sexiness to them.  Good quality cable that rolls perfect and lays flat, with just enough heft that the performer has something substantial in their hand when they come off stand?  It's all in the details and nice cables is just another part of creating an overall value proposition that communicates quality and induces people to think of your product as premium.

Good mic stands do the same thing.  Once I bought my first pair of K&M's I was hooked.  It's like winding a Timex vs. a Breitling. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 10:02:46 AM »

Some people might think that a cable is just a cable. it could be right for some other uses. but for audio we have a lot of issues to solve while transferring audio (low voltage) signals.

there is a good article about it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/audio/buying-guide/xlr-cable-just-cable-right%3F
Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 10:07:16 AM »

XLR cables are the ONLY part of your rig you will still have decades from now.

I have no quarrel with that Brian, except to add that I've found microphones to have good staying power too.  That EV PL20 I paid way too much for back in 1982, did a fabulous job on trombone last Saturday night.

As I've stated here before, buying better than rock bottom cables is like buying insurance.  It's a good feeling to know that when you pull a mic cable out of the cable box, it will WORK!  Only once have I bought "bargain" cables (as a favour to a salesman friend).  3 out of a dozen failed on the first gig!  My friend had promised he'd replace them with the company's premium line if there were problems, and he was true to his word, but I still had to deal with the failures on a paying gig.

The problem with the Neutrik NC3MX plugs is that if they are treated roughly, eventually the little window that the female plug latches into gets deformed.  This prevents the connectors from latching together securely.  The XX-series solves this problem, as well as having the boot screw inside the shell, making it more difficult to crush.

GTD

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 12:08:37 PM »

I'm of the "spool your own" camp. If you have a new hire, or even an intern, it's a great project for them. Helps them to get solid on a skill that can be very important on site/on the road.

When we do ours, I do color coded e-tape (in this case, red is the cable pack it belongs to, and purple indicates a 10' or 50' cable) and a company tag. Nothing fancy; I just print these on the regular printer, but company name and just under it where you cannot see, an asset number. I also include an extra piece of clear heat shrink for when I eventually move to a bar code system- they will be ready to get a bar code label as well.

Having your name on EVERYTHING will help to avoid losing them... organizational types like putting the right cable back into the right case... Now, when I QC things coming back from a show, I know how many cables are supposed to be there, and can make sure it's all complete again.

We worked with a national campaign back in March, and the touring production manager lamented his need for additional 100' XLRs. I sold him 4 from our production kit... and since I had numbered them, I knew WHAT cables I had sold, and could re-build them with the correct asset number still.

(You can order cables from Horizon, CBI, etc, and have them include clear shrink on the cables so you can do your labeling when you get them. Just depends on whether you prefer to solder yourself or pay a bit more to have them do it for you.)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 12:08:37 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 26 queries.