ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Reasons not to buy crappy XLR cable pack from PSSL  (Read 20851 times)

Mark Campbell

Reasons not to buy crappy XLR cable pack from PSSL
« on: August 14, 2016, 08:22:11 AM »

Any opinions on this from PSSL:

http://www.pssl.com/25ft-XLR-to-XLR-Microphone-Cable-8-Pack

I realize maybe not the best quality but eight 25' XLR cables for $50 is hard to say no to and for use by less than Lounge level guy.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 02:59:52 PM by Mark Campbell »

jesseweiss

Re: XLR cable pack from PSSL
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 10:06:27 AM »

Any opinions on this from PSSL:

http://www.pssl.com/25ft-XLR-to-XLR-Microphone-Cable-8-Pack

I realize maybe not the best quality but eight 25' XLR cables for $50 is hard to say no to and for use by less than Lounge level guy.

You have to figure it can't to have them as backup cables at worst.  I might just grab a pack.

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 10:34:16 AM »

For me I have always tried to match my cables and buy the best quality I could afford. For that price it seems like a good deal. I can build my 25' XLR cables for $9.50 with Neutrik connectors and decent wire. Really depends on how much you work them and how you treat them. Again for me I go bit more quality for other reasons beyond failure and one of those is wrap a cheaper cable and then wrap a quality cable. It may not be a big deal to most but at 2am I am not interested in fighting with cables. The most important information is missing what gauge copper is it unless I missed seeing I am on my iPhone viewing this. What is the grip in the connector?  All depends what the intended use is? 

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 12:26:47 PM »

I bought a similar group of cheap cables once and within months they ALL had failed (every single one) and I learned my lesson from that. For not a bunch more money I now have reliable cables that I don't have to replace. Merely the time saved in troubleshooting why something wasn't working was worth the cost. The choice is yours: what kind of impression do you make on other people when you have the cheapest, LEAST reliable gear?
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 01:01:45 PM »

On the DJ forums some people are always crowing about the amazingly cheap deals they get on cables with no-name components. I notice recently a rash of people complaining about having to ship speakers or amp modules back to the manufacturer for service because they can't remove jammed xlr connectors. Coincidence?
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Thomas Le

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »

Buy Once, Cry Once.

Stick with reputable brands like ProCo, Canare, RapcoHorizon, Whirlwind, Mogami, etc. for cable and either Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors. If you're handy with the soldering, it's cheaper to DIY. Cheap crap will fail because of skimping on copper strands and worthless connectors that will bend easily.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »

I made the mistake of buying cheap cables ONCE.  Never ever again.

When it comes to a cable, I want to know that when I plug it in that it's going to work.  The cheap stuff always had me questioning.  Connectors fail, the cables hum, they coil for crap. Yeah, even at less than lounge level it's not worth it.

Buy good cables and they will last you the rest of your life.
Brian Jojade

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 12:57:39 AM »

I buy mine at Audiopile.net and they are pretty inexpensive and with a bit of care, last well. They sell them with optional Neutrik connectors but I have used their own.
I must have a hundred of them and in 10 years no failures. Of course, I coil them carefully and transport them in road cases.

Taking care of cables is good economy. You have a lot of money in cables. I have 2 50' xlr cables I made in the late 1960s with Switchcraft connectors that still work today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 01:21:01 PM »

After having some cheapo cables go bad, including having to disassemble a snake head to remove a cable, we bought a roll of Canare quad wire and a pile of Neutric ends.  The actual cost of parts and assembly was less than buying mid quality cables at the local music store.  The xlr cable is now NOT the first thing I look at when trouble shooting.  Oh, and they're blue, so they don't accidently walk off stage. 
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 02:58:34 PM »

I wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole.  I have seen too much trouble and time wasted with cheap Asian XLR copies.  The deal you mentioned comes to about 13.80 each.  You can get made in USA Rapco 25' with Neutrik connectors for $15.82.  Is it worth it to you to buy disposable cables to save $2.00 each? 

http://www.northernsoundandlight.com/Brands/Rapco-Horizon/Audio_Cables/_NM11.html

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 02:58:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.