ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on powered system  (Read 10798 times)

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Re: Advice on powered system
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2016, 01:41:00 pm »

I've heard nothing but great things about the Yamaha rig you mentioned, but haven't heard either model myself.

One of my favorite 4-way systems that I've had a lot of time on in that price range is QSC KW153 over KW181. You'd be looking in the used market though, or the "b-stocks from a good buddy who's a dealer" market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For DJ work I think the EV lines sound very good as well. I would recommend listening to the EV, JBL, Yamaha, & RCF lines if you can and then decide which you like best, they are all pretty good. I also highly recommend using subs as well. In addition to others mentioned, you have good subs from EV, Yorkville, RCF, JTR, BassBoss that should cover all quality/SPL/budget ranges.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2016, 03:00:00 pm »

I made my own siamese cables in various lengths with Edisons on both ends instead of IECs.  Then I have short IEC adapters.  Hosa sells on that has a parallel Edison on the back so for things like daisy chaining a couple of monitors together, I can just use short XLR and the IEC cables that came with the speakers.  Although I have taken to running a power stringer across the frontline and running those wedges off of that.  Serves double duty as a place for guitarists to plug in pedal boards.  Side fills and the drum monitor as well as mains run off the siamese.  I do have passive subs and so I run separate cables for that.  I could pair them up in the siamese but that would take away some flexibility in how I use them (they would all have to have speaker cable in them) and make the cable trunk heavier.
To make them, I get an XRL cable of the length I want, some SJ from the home improvement store and 1/2" nylon braid (you can buy this on-line but there's a place here where I can buy it discounted off the shelf).  You can get an XLR though the braid without taking it off so it's pretty quick to thread it though with the power cable taped to it.  Put some shrink sleeving on the ends and then the Edison connectors.  The other thing about having Edisons at both ends with IEC pigtails, is that you can series chain the Siamese cables if you need to.

I was afraid of powered speakers for the longest time.  But these days unless you have some really fancy D&B or Nexo integrated system, you get better performance out of an integrated speaker/amp active system than you can with the average passive box and an off the shelf amp. 

I'm also with those who say that by the time the active speaker's components are cooked and start failing, that there will be some new "next big thing" or several generations of them, and you'll be turning things over in any event.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2016, 03:00:00 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.