ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on powered system  (Read 10817 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Advice on powered system
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 12:53:24 pm »

btw - I believe there is a powered version of the TH118. Save your pennies though..
The TH118 (lie most of the Danley products) are available powered or unpowered.

And you can switch back and forth relatively easily.

There are not "powered" lines and "unpowered" lines.

The jack panel comes out and the amp goes in in the hole.

The connections will have to be changed, but that is not much trouble.

The idea was that you could get the acoustical performance however you wanted it.

Also that we didn't have to make/cut different cabinets.

Everything is the same-up until final assembly.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 05:12:59 pm »

I have both PRX and DSR boxes, and I still prefer the overall sound of the PRX.

Whaaaaaaaaattt - Steve...???
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 06:38:14 pm »

Robert's combination of DSR112s and TH118s is telling.  It takes that much sub to keep up with the DSR's for most musical situations.  I'm using a pair with 4 Cubo18 subs.

The new breed of 12" tops are much stronger than the days of yore.  Another popular combination is SRX812 over SRX828 dual 18 subs.  You can run the DSR112s or SRX812s over a single 18 if you don't need that much overall level.  But the tops will support more.  It' looks kind of silly to folks used to a pile of double 15 boxes to see these little things up over two 18s.  Until they hear it.

BenWalker

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 09:00:20 pm »

No, I moved from a EAW KF650/SB750 rig to a Danley SM80/TH118 rig so I had the subs first. I've never been a 'powered speaker' kind of guy but recognize that today's offerings are better than they have ever been. I was looking for a versatile smaller speaker that could be used for the kinds of applications I listed above. Based on all the recommendations I saw on the forum I tried a couple of the Yamaha's and have been so pleased with them I've acquired a bunch more.

Got it, yes, I was also not a powered guy in the previous phase of my audio life, but agree that the integration has just improved a ton since then. (I also was really against TV/VCR combos....although that never changed)

BenWalker

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 09:13:10 pm »

I'm sorry, but I had the chance to use a pair of SRM650s once, and they pale in comparison to my DXR15s in all criteria (except for finish, of course) by a margin far greater than the price difference would indicate.

If you're gonna go with the DSRs, you might want to look at the DXS18 instead of the DSR118w. The DXS18 is meant to replace it, and from the reviews, it sounds like Yamaha did an absolutely fantastic job.

Thanks, Andrew, I wasn't aware of the DXS18 and appreciate you bringing it to my attention. I see that the DXS18 is bandpass, which I know doesn't have the best reputation for broad-spectrum live sound work, although the frequency response graphs I've found make it look like the sweet spot is fairly wide, which bodes well. It doesn't look like there are a lot of folks here with the DXS18, and I would be interested to hear if anyone has heard them or used them. (Or has some in the Kansas City area for demo...!)

BenWalker

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 09:19:32 pm »

One unmentioned advantage of Yamaha, if I'm not mistaken, is a lifetime warranty.  As someone pointed out, active speakers have a lot more that can go wrong than passive, so lifetime warranty is no small thing.

Looks like seven years on defects in materials or workmanship - but that's still very good. Thanks for pointing it out. http://usa.yamaha.com/support/warranty/live_sound/images/PAC_LIVE_SOUND_PRODUCTS_2015.pdf

BenWalker

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 09:20:30 pm »

The jack panel comes out and the amp goes in in the hole.

That's pretty neat.!

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 11:05:28 pm »

It doesn't look like there are a lot of folks here with the DXS18, and I would be interested to hear if anyone has heard them or used them. (Or has some in the Kansas City area for demo...!)

I know of a pair in the KC area. I'll see if the owner has any gigs coming up.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, VTC, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, OnPoint Audio, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Road Ready, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, Whirlwind, On-Stage, more...

BenWalker

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 11:16:04 pm »

I know of a pair in the KC area. I'll see if the owner has any gigs coming up.

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate it.

Mark Amber

Advice on powered system
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 11:19:00 pm »

btw - I believe there is a powered version of the TH118. Save your pennies though..

The TH-118 is really cost efficient in the HOT DAMN/$ ratio. Some Danley speakers are more about pushing the boundaries of speaker design and all but the 118s really hit the mark and EVERYONE no matter how deaf can appreciate a sub better than the other guys sub.

On the other hand, as far as powered 12s go they are very nice tools to have. I am happy with my RCF HD32a. It's dumb like a speaker should be. No fiddly and delicate buttons or network features. The plastic frame is perfect for lugging around and the cases they make are perfect (they stay on and double as rain covers) No, they don't sound particularly amazing when compared to the JBL SRX but they are better at high volume levels than virtually everything else and are a workhorse for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 11:22:10 pm by Mark Amber »

ProSoundWeb Community

Advice on powered system
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 11:19:00 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.