ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on powered system  (Read 10816 times)

Andrew Zannetos

Re: Advice on powered system
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 01:58:21 am »

I'm sorry, but I had the chance to use a pair of SRM650s once, and they pale in comparison to my DXR15s in all criteria (except for finish, of course) by a margin far greater than the price difference would indicate.

If you're gonna go with the DSRs, you might want to look at the DXS18 instead of the DSR118w. The DXS18 is meant to replace it, and from the reviews, it sounds like Yamaha did an absolutely fantastic job.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 02:09:03 am by Andrew Zannetos »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 07:46:04 am »

I'm sorry, but I had the chance to use a pair of SRM650s once, and they pale in comparison to my DXR15s in all criteria (except for finish, of course) by a margin far greater than the price difference would indicate.

If you're gonna go with the DSRs, you might want to look at the DXS18 instead of the DSR118w. The DXS18 is meant to replace it, and from the reviews, it sounds like Yamaha did an absolutely fantastic job.

+1

I was reading through the thread and was composing in my mind an almost verbatim response myself.

I would give the new DXS18 a serious look.

I am another DSR112 lover.  Best top I personally have ever owned (disclaimer .... I have never owned Meyer or any other very high end box).

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 09:49:07 am »

+1 DSR112. ... You'll find a lot of love here for the Yammies. I use mine (like  a few others here) over JBL PRX718xlf's and the combo sounds great. I don't think you'll be able to beat it for the money - or even close right now with all the discounts on the PRX series and the DSR's listing at such a good price to start with.
The DXS18 is getting some interest on here lately but I haven't heard it so I can't comment.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Max Hall

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 10:46:07 am »

I couldn't tell- which one of those have you used, or is it all of them?

Have used Yamaha and Turbosound extensively, but have experienced using the mackie as a pa on a charity run day.

Sorry my answers get a bit jumbled.

Max

James Paul

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 10:58:18 am »

This would appear to not be true, as in fact both the DXS118 and DSR118 can be found on any of Yamaha's global web sites as well as at many and most authorized dealers advertised as available for purchase.

jesseweiss

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 11:03:29 am »

I am not the expert that most on this board are, but I own Mackie SRM550's for my band and they are fine (my budget was limited so bought them used). If your budget can afford Yamaha, get them. I have used DSR12's and 15's at venues and they are excellent speakers. One unmentioned advantage of Yamaha, if I'm not mistaken, is a lifetime warranty.  As someone pointed out, active speakers have a lot more that can go wrong than passive, so lifetime warranty is no small thing.

Thomas Le

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 11:18:11 am »

On a budget, there are closeout deals on the outgoing JBL PRX700 series, PRX735 on PRX718XLF is another contender for a 4-way system. DSR112 can get stupid loud so it would be no sweat working it outdoors, never heard the sub companion.

jesseweiss

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 11:43:00 am »

On a budget, there are closeout deals on the outgoing JBL PRX700 series, PRX735 on PRX718XLF is another contender for a 4-way system. DSR112 can get stupid loud so it would be no sweat working it outdoors, never heard the sub companion.

The deals seem to be fading as stock runs out, so OP would probably have to move quickly.

That being said, could get 2 712s for the same or only slightly more than one DSR112 so that's certainly a good option.

Andrew Zannetos

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 11:43:56 am »

This would appear to not be true, as in fact both the DXS118 and DSR118 can be found on any of Yamaha's global web sites as well as at many and most authorized dealers advertised as available for purchase.

The DXS18 was devised because the DSR118w was a sub that performed far below the rest of the DSR series. I'm not sure if the DSR118w is meant to be discontinued, but it wasn't a very popular option in its price range to begin with, so it makes sense that stores still have them in stock, whether they're discontinued or not.

Steve Garris

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 12:43:17 pm »

I have a PRX system and love it. The 15/horn combo box is lighter than my 12" DSR's. If you want really portable, the PRX 12's are currently on sale at fantastic prices. I have both PRX and DSR boxes, and I still prefer the overall sound of the PRX. As for the sub's, matching PRX 18's will sound great. The boxes are light enough and have the right form-factor for one person to deadlift into a van. YMMV

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 12:43:17 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.