ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on powered system  (Read 10815 times)

BenWalker

Advice on powered system
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:17:34 pm »

Hi all,

It's been a while since I have darkened these halls, and I'm glad to see that the community is as robust as ever.

I'm thinking about putting together a basic powered system, for a variety of uses, and would appreciate the collective wisdom of the Lounge.

The system should be able to handle basic DJ work, along with smaller band gigs. Flexibility is important, and I'm going to be moving it around by myself. Most work will be indoors - think ~150 folks for various events.

Another consideration is that I'd like to be able to hold on to this system for a long time. As a kid, my dad had a basic Peavey system from the 70s, and it was a ton of fun and a great bonding experience for me to learn the ropes on through the 90s. I have a little guy now and I'm hoping that we can do some of the same with this rig.

My first thought was Yamaha DSR112 and a pair of DSR118W. I rented this setup last April for a wedding (quasi-outdoor DJ for 150 with ceremony sound and a small acoustic performance) and was really pleased with the sound quality. I don't have a ton of other recent experience with powered speakers - first and second-generation EONs and a gig with QSC K12. My earlier work was all JBL SRX, EAW, and FBT passive (but I don't think passive fits my needs right now).

In terms of price range, I'll be looking new or used, and would like to keep it under $4K. $3K would be even better, of course (perhaps through the used angle).

Let me know what other questions you have - as always, I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Ben

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
Re: Advice on powered system
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:56:25 pm »

I've heard nothing but great things about the Yamaha rig you mentioned, but haven't heard either model myself.

One of my favorite 4-way systems that I've had a lot of time on in that price range is QSC KW153 over KW181. You'd be looking in the used market though, or the "b-stocks from a good buddy who's a dealer" market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 10:08:15 pm »

One of my favorite 4-way systems that I've had a lot of time on in that price range is QSC KW153 over KW181.
I have not heard the KW153, but if the 2-way boxes of the series are any indication, JBL SRX835P >>> KW153.

There are probably 100 threads on the forum about speakers in your category.  There are several good choices. 

I would not assume that a system of today will still be your first choice in 25 years, but who knows.  I don't think there's any speaker that stands out over the pack from a projected longevity standpoint, but speakers released in the last year or two will have better chances of longer support and newer technology compared to models that have been around for a while.

Max Hall

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 10:31:04 pm »

Father Son business!!

What sort of quality are you looking at? Real top, or mid

The Yamaha has good reviews, but considering you want some decent subs as well, 850.00 /$1,350.00. Could possibly push the budget. This is one of the reviews I found.
User reviews
Sound/audio: "Sound: Clear, balanced and excellent headroom."
Ease of use: "Ease of Use: easy Quality: Solid."
Value: "At this price level, a bag should be a freebie."
Design/style: "The Wow Factor: Great looks, 100% pro design."

But don't dismiss them.

Would you consider Mackie? Or are you like some people that have deadly ancient fears of Mackie. Their new systems are supposed to decent.

The SRM550,   Has new technology with feedback destroyer etc.... And sturdily built, can be a problem with active systems. They can be a bit less resilient to knocks, scrapes, drunk wedding guests tripping over the speaker stands etc!!..   And half the price.

Or what about Turbosound. Part of the Music Group so  Uli Behringer has almost cartainly stolen their ideas! ;D They are seen as a quality version of behringer. Turbosound also do a lot of tour sound so they are quite hardwearing to be on the road.

Turbosound   iQ12           2500 Watt 2 Way 12"   $600

Still writing up the other options and subs   Don't worry!!!

Regards Max

BenWalker

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 10:33:42 pm »

I have not heard the KW153, but if the 2-way boxes of the series are any indication, JBL SRX835P >>> KW153.

There are probably 100 threads on the forum about speakers in your category.  There are several good choices. 

I would not assume that a system of today will still be your first choice in 25 years, but who knows.  I don't think there's any speaker that stands out over the pack from a projected longevity standpoint, but speakers released in the last year or two will have better chances of longer support and newer technology compared to models that have been around for a while.

Thanks, TJ, and I should have mentioned - I think I've read 75 or 80 of the threads! And searching down the other 20 or 25 :). I definitely also agree that something I buy today won't be the first choice in 25 years, and that is fine - neither was the Peavey rig. But it was functional for basic work (not hire), maintainable, and a good learning tool. That's more what I mean in terms of that type of longevity.

Thanks,
Ben

Robert Piascik

• Hilliard, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 10:34:01 pm »

Everybody has their favorites but I'll reinforce your impression of the Yamaha DSR-112. I have eight of them and use them for a variety of applications: solo acoustic w/vox, wedges with a band, SOS and SOS over subs (I have Danley TH-118 subs). Another plus is that they're small enough to carry around easily and easy to deploy on a tripod. You'll find a lot of love for them here on the forum too. Others will chime in with their JBL this or QSC that but I'd say you're on the right track.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R / XR12
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k / Xti6k

BenWalker

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 10:40:19 pm »

Everybody has their favorites but I'll reinforce your impression of the Yamaha DSR-112. I have eight of them and use them for a variety of applications: solo acoustic w/vox, wedges with a band, SOS and SOS over subs (I have Danley TH-118 subs). Another plus is that they're small enough to carry around easily and easy to deploy on a tripod. You'll find a lot of love for them here on the forum too. Others will chime in with their JBL this or QSC that but I'd say you're on the right track.

Thanks, Robert. It's good to get an endorsement on the flexibility, which is an important consideration for my needs.

Before you settled on the TH-118, did you look at all at powered subs?

Thanks,
Ben

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 11:02:15 pm »

Father Son business!!

What sort of quality are you looking at? Real top, or mid

The Yamaha has good reviews, but considering you want some decent subs as well, 850.00 /$1,350.00. Could possibly push the budget. This is one of the reviews I found.
User reviews
Sound/audio: "Sound: Clear, balanced and excellent headroom."
Ease of use: "Ease of Use: easy Quality: Solid."
Value: "At this price level, a bag should be a freebie."
Design/style: "The Wow Factor: Great looks, 100% pro design."

But don't dismiss them.

Would you consider Mackie? Or are you like some people that have deadly ancient fears of Mackie. Their new systems are supposed to decent.

The SRM550,   Has new technology with feedback destroyer etc.... And sturdily built, can be a problem with active systems. They can be a bit less resilient to knocks, scrapes, drunk wedding guests tripping over the speaker stands etc!!..   And half the price.

Or what about Turbosound. Part of the Music Group so  Uli Behringer has almost cartainly stolen their ideas! ;D They are seen as a quality version of behringer. Turbosound also do a lot of tour sound so they are quite hardwearing to be on the road.

Turbosound   iQ12           2500 Watt 2 Way 12"   $600

Still writing up the other options and subs   Don't worry!!!

Regards Max
I couldn't tell- which one of those have you used, or is it all of them?
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Robert Piascik

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 11:07:50 pm »

Thanks, Robert. It's good to get an endorsement on the flexibility, which is an important consideration for my needs.

Before you settled on the TH-118, did you look at all at powered subs?

Thanks,
Ben

No, I moved from a EAW KF650/SB750 rig to a Danley SM80/TH118 rig so I had the subs first. I've never been a 'powered speaker' kind of guy but recognize that today's offerings are better than they have ever been. I was looking for a versatile smaller speaker that could be used for the kinds of applications I listed above. Based on all the recommendations I saw on the forum I tried a couple of the Yamaha's and have been so pleased with them I've acquired a bunch more.
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R / XR12
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k / Xti6k

Robert Piascik

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 11:09:43 pm »

btw - I believe there is a powered version of the TH118. Save your pennies though..
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R / XR12
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k / Xti6k

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 11:09:43 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 24 queries.