ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung View  (Read 54750 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Samsung View
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 09:41:15 PM »

I had my iPad and the Mixing Station QU Pro on my 7" LG tablet.  I do like the Mixing station, but the recent upgrades to the A&H make it very usable.  Using both the same gig? Did not work well for me.

What I found was a fair amount of confusion - mentally switching back and forth between apps that look NOTHING alike, and very different means of navigating slowed me down horribly - even with the IOS app which I'm 10x more familiar, I was much slower.  The slowed mental process was fairly comprehensive. I think that is also playing a part in spending less time with the mechanical faders - the switch back and forth is stressing this old brain!  They may as well be separate mixers.

Now, I also mix 15 nights a month on the QSC Touchmix.  That interface is no better or worse than either the A&H or Mixing Station app.  Because I start out with it, I don't look for A&H QU functions.  Similarly, on jobs where I use the IOS app for the QU, I don't look for QSC Touchmix functions.  But the QU apps and or mechanical surface in close temporal proximity tie me in knots

It will be interesting to see how your brain will handle the back and forth on a live gig.  Please share what you experience.  Always curious.

frank

I will definitely report back after the show...

I understand what you are saying about using the 2 devices. However, I'm pretty good at switching back and forth from one to the other (it's a multi-tasking thing -LOL) and I'll only utilize the iPad for the following reasons (unless I have too many connection issues with the Samsung - hope not) ...
1) At the beginning of the evening I'll use the iPad so I can be mobile enough to get everyone happy with mixes and move around for sound check levels etc ,
2) Then through the show I'll use the iPad for things like library selection for PEQ and FX etc...( don't usually use scene changes during a show)

I'll mainly use the Samsung for basic level control - so keeping the duties very separate  should help to stop any confusion.

Once I am into the first couple of songs, I don't really have to worry too much about anything other than levels usually. I change and control a few FX along the way and of course I am running manual lights wirelessly through DMX and singing through a headset so I try to keep it simple..... we'll see...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 05:55:17 AM »

Does the Samsung have a performance meter of some sort to measure the CPU usage?  I run AirFader app for my yamaha mixer and if I have too many channels up on an old laptop I have the CPU will max out and wifi will drop. ( The X41 is 14 or so years old, not an app problem )
Have you tried less channels being viewed at a time and see if you have less drop outs?

Douglas R. Allen

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 06:56:45 AM »

I'm interested in using one of these but which consoles have Android apps?
Looks like X32 and M32 but not Midas Pro 2 or AH QL series.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:03:00 AM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 10:58:18 AM »

Does the Samsung have a performance meter of some sort to measure the CPU usage?  I run AirFader app for my yamaha mixer and if I have too many channels up on an old laptop I have the CPU will max out and wifi will drop. ( The X41 is 14 or so years old, not an app problem )
Have you tried less channels being viewed at a time and see if you have less drop outs?

Douglas R. Allen
I have been defaulting to a custom layer I set up of 16-20 channels. First off I used a live recording to simulate a show but the last few times I tested with only one input (iPod) connected and it makes no difference to drop out rate - which is now very low BTW.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 10:58:51 AM »

I'm interested in using one of these but which consoles have Android apps?
Looks like X32 and M32 but not Midas Pro 2 or AH QL series.

Only QU and X have the Mixing Station app.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 04:40:56 PM »

So last night's show..... not so good.
I figured I might have a problem when I connected and saw probably 30 networks come up on the settings page. On other occasions when we played there I didn't even notice because the iPad is so stable, I had become complacent.
Anyway I used the iPad for set up and soundcheck  (for mobility reasons) and had the Samsung up and running about 10 minutes before the first song ( I kept my iPad on and at the ready - luckily)......
6 songs in and having fought with the Samsung with probably at least 12 disconnects, trying different addresses whilst mixing, running lights and singing, I had had enough!!!.... Went back to the iPad and no issues - as usual.
Today I downloaded a few different apps all designed to get better and more stable network connection but nothing really worked till I downloaded Wifi Keeper. So far so good and the guys are turning up soon for rehearsal and I will be doing a 'dry run'. The Samsung will be competing against my 2 home networks access points, my neighbors 2 very strong access points, my iPad and 4 QU - YOU apps running - not a lot of traffic - but some. I'll see how it goes today....
I am determined to make this work..... the screen while it was connected last night was fun to use!!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 06:29:38 PM »

So last night's show..... not so good.
I figured I might have a problem when I connected and saw probably 30 networks come up on the settings page. On other occasions when we played there I didn't even notice because the iPad is so stable, I had become complacent.
Anyway I used the iPad for set up and soundcheck  (for mobility reasons) and had the Samsung up and running about 10 minutes before the first song ( I kept my iPad on and at the ready - luckily)......
6 songs in and having fought with the Samsung with probably at least 12 disconnects, trying different addresses whilst mixing, running lights and singing, I had had enough!!!.... Went back to the iPad and no issues - as usual.
Today I downloaded a few different apps all designed to get better and more stable network connection but nothing really worked till I downloaded Wifi Keeper. So far so good and the guys are turning up soon for rehearsal and I will be doing a 'dry run'. The Samsung will be competing against my 2 home networks access points, my neighbors 2 very strong access points, my iPad and 4 QU - YOU apps running - not a lot of traffic - but some. I'll see how it goes today....
I am determined to make this work..... the screen while it was connected last night was fun to use!!
Bummer.  Your Apple and the Samsung *should* support 5ghz connections.  I know the iPad does.
Did you try forcing your network to the 5ghz band?  Generally much more quiet up there, at a cost of slight reduction in range.  I *think* in the Apple router you can name the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz networks differently. (i.e., "ZuniConnect24" and "Zuniconnect5ghz". If the 2.4ghz is running and you want to stay on 5ghz only, you can assign a WPA password to the 2.4ghz network and never connect to it - so your pad won't even try.  I know around here I RARELY find another 5ghz network. YMMV.
frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2016, 10:41:02 PM »

Bummer.  Your Apple and the Samsung *should* support 5ghz connections.  I know the iPad does.
Did you try forcing your network to the 5ghz band?  Generally much more quiet up there, at a cost of slight reduction in range.  I *think* in the Apple router you can name the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz networks differently. (i.e., "ZuniConnect24" and "Zuniconnect5ghz". If the 2.4ghz is running and you want to stay on 5ghz only, you can assign a WPA password to the 2.4ghz network and never connect to it - so your pad won't even try.  I know around here I RARELY find another 5ghz network. YMMV.
frank

The rehearsal showed 5-6 disconnects so still not good. I haven't done as you suggest Frank with the 5ghz band.  Would I need to connect my Airport express to the Internet to make those changes? That is where I get a little confused I'm afraid. I just don't understand why my iPad is so very stable and the Samsung so NOT!... Sheeeesh....

Scott Slater

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 07:50:19 AM »

Would I need to connect my Airport express to the Internet to make those changes?

No, you would need to log into the router itself either from the iPad's browser or an attached laptop.

Some routers allow you to block access to the setup from the wireless side, so you may need to use a computer plugged in on the wired side to make the changes.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 08:17:02 AM »

There is a utility called Airport Utility for setting up Apple "routers"
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 08:17:02 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.