ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung View  (Read 53869 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Samsung View
« on: August 11, 2016, 06:15:51 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone else is using QU PAD on one of these or even a smaller tablet? I've heard that the Android based app for QU is pretty good and although it would be a bit alien to start, as I have been remotely mixing for almost 2 years now on an iPad, it would be so nice to have a 18.4" tablet for mixing at shows. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tablet-Wi-Fi-Black/dp/B0167OR4V0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470953730&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+view
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Samsung View
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone else is using QU PAD on one of these or even a smaller tablet? I've heard that the Android based app for QU is pretty good and although it would be a bit alien to start, as I have been remotely mixing for almost 2 years now on an iPad, it would be so nice to have a 18.4" tablet for mixing at shows. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tablet-Wi-Fi-Black/dp/B0167OR4V0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470953730&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+view

I can't tell you about that particular Samsung product but the QU app is written by David Giga, the fellow who wrote the killer app for the M/X32 mixers.  For me, once I got over that it isn't as pretty as the iPad app but works much better, I haven't used my iPad.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 08:17:51 PM »

I can't tell you about that particular Samsung product but the QU app is written by David Giga, the fellow who wrote the killer app for the M/X32 mixers.  For me, once I got over that it isn't as pretty as the iPad app but works much better, I haven't used my iPad.

Thanks Tim...Yes .. I had heard it was quite a good app. I don't own any android devices so I can't check it out very easily. Maybe I should borrow my son-in-law's (or is that son's-in-law) 10" Samsung tablet before I decide. The 18.4" View started at $599 in November 2015, a few months later went down to $499 and now is $449 which is tempting.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Chiara

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 11:58:19 PM »

Thanks Tim...Yes .. I had heard it was quite a good app. I don't own any android devices so I can't check it out very easily. Maybe I should borrow my son-in-law's (or is that son's-in-law) 10" Samsung tablet before I decide. The 18.4" View started at $599 in November 2015, a few months later went down to $499 and now is $449 which is tempting.

I am running Mixing Station on a $65 Android tablet and it's fine....especially if you want to check out the app.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 06:27:29 PM »

The 18.4" View started at $599 in November 2015, a few months later went down to $499 and now is $449 which is tempting.

Keep in mind that particular tablet's display is still "only" 1920 x 1080 pixels.  That means you may not get more faders on a single screen - just larger faders.  To get more faders, a 4k / UHD display would be required (provided the app can handle it).

What are the display specs on your iPad?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 07:12:20 PM »

Keep in mind that particular tablet's display is still "only" 1920 x 1080 pixels.  That means you may not get more faders on a single screen - just larger faders.  To get more faders, a 4k / UHD display would be required (provided the app can handle it).

What are the display specs on your iPad?

Dave

Not sure Dave.... But just to have larger everything  would be nice ...

Jeff Dine

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 04:26:27 PM »

Debbie,

I use a 12.2 inch tablet to run Mixing Station.  I am able to comfortably fit 18 faders on the screen without sacrificing usability.  I'm sure several more would fit on a View.  Regarding it being 1920 X 1080, I suspect that it won't cause significant problems.  My 46 inch 1080 TV screen contains quite a lot of detail when I attach a laptop to it.  If you're worried about it, maybe you can do a similar test at home to familiarize yourself with what 1080 looks like on a large screen. 

If my current tablet needed to be replaced, I'd probably get another of the same, but I'd be tempted to switch to a View.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 03:39:54 PM »

Happy to report that I have my new tablet working fantastically with the Mixing Station QU PRO app and all customized to my liking. My first  2 shows will be this weekend so I'm going for it. Been playing all week and I have a good comfort level with it now.
The Samsung 18.4" screen is CRAZY big ... I have lost NO definition and it is close to having a physical 16 channel mixer in my hands (well at least size wise-LOL)
I can report that David, the app developer is very attentive to any correspondence and was happy to address my early concerns.

He has confirmed: It is not possible to control QU DRIVE from the tablet and scenes are only numbered - not named - but can be recalled....other than those 2 things , I am not missing anything that I need that I had before on the iPad. Until the recent firmware update on the iPad, QU DRIVE and scene recall wasn't available anyway.  It does however offer some extras that are not available on the A&H app.

I can utilize different colors on the scribble strips,
Customize, name and save many more layers than the 3 non-nameable (?) ones on the iPad.
Add meter bridge, PEQ preview above each channel,
Select highlight of channel touch,
'Fade' option allows for movement of fader anywhere on channel strip and much much more.

One issue yet to be fully resolved but workable for now......
I have found that although the new Mixing Station app allows for immediate re-connect if drop out occurs ( which previous versions did not), this causes the metering (which is really nice BTW) to stop working and the only work around is to disconnect and re-connect manually. I kept noticing the meters frozen (up to every 5 or 10 minutes) and couldn't work out why until I realized the app was disconnecting and reconnecting far more than I am used to with the ipad- so I turned my attention to the drop out issued instead of the app.
Today I re-assigned the static IP address to the tablet and VOILA ! No drop out issues (so far till I get to a venue of course but it has been running for over 2 hours with no drop out). BTW - The reconnect procedure only takes a few seconds so its not a huge problem unless it keeps happening of course.

I have sent David a message though so maybe he can look into the metering situation and have it re activate after auto re-connect which is what it looks like it needs to do. Every other function appears to start working again apart from this one.

It really is a fun but functional app and David should be commended for his work - I didn't hesitate to pay the huge $5.38 fee for the Pro version.

I highly recommend going the Android route for anyone with either a QU series mixer or a 'B' X series mixer.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 04:23:04 PM »

Today I re-assigned the static IP address to the tablet and VOILA ! No drop out issues (so far till I get to a venue of course but it has been running for over 2 hours with no drop out). BTW - The reconnect procedure only takes a few seconds so its not a huge problem unless it keeps happening of course.

Debbie, how many wifi networks has your tablet "remembered"?  If it has connected to several networks in your vicinity, it may tend to switch over to the strongest one at any particular moment.  For wifi mixer control, I like to have only one network configured and tell the tablet NOT to search for others.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 04:30:53 PM »

Debbie, how many wifi networks has your tablet "remembered"?  If it has connected to several networks in your vicinity, it may tend to switch over to the strongest one at any particular moment.  For wifi mixer control, I like to have only one network configured and tell the tablet NOT to search for others.

Dave

I considered that Dave but the fact that the tablet immediately reconnected with the same network indicated to me it wasn't really an issue BUT I could tell the tablet to ignore all the networks just in case????

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 04:30:53 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.