ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED] NEED HELP - Desperately needing help to split frequencies (01V96i)  (Read 14363 times)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound

These are clever work arounds, but I'm just wondering, is it possible the PA system is active with all the amps and cross-over filters in the cabinets?  I don't understand how anyone could have ever used the system before without cross-overs! 

As a system owner, I would never, never, never send it out without having a cross-over/ system processor as part of the system.  I learned 30 years ago to have fixed cross-over points (not user adjustable) or a "locked" processor for anything I rented out.  If anybody can change things, they would!  I had a "national act" FOH engineer change the LF to Lo-Mid x-over point from 300 hz to 80 hz and blow 48  6.5" drivers because he didn't know what he was doing (or didn't care . . . or worse did it intentionally)!  It happened in the last 30 seconds of the encore and really didn't effect the show.  We were lucky???

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......

These are clever work arounds, but I'm just wondering, is it possible the PA system is active with all the amps and cross-over filters in the cabinets?  I don't understand how anyone could have ever used the system before without cross-overs! 

As a system owner, I would never, never, never send it out without having a cross-over/ system processor as part of the system.  I learned 30 years ago to have fixed cross-over points (not user adjustable) or a "locked" processor for anything I rented out.  If anybody can change things, they would!  I had a "national act" FOH engineer change the LF to Lo-Mid x-over point from 300 hz to 80 hz and blow 48  6.5" drivers because he didn't know what he was doing (or didn't care . . . or worse did it intentionally)!  It happened in the last 30 seconds of the encore and really didn't effect the show.  We were lucky???

No, he blew your shit up on purpose.
Luck had nothing to do with it.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN

No, he blew your shit up on purpose.
Luck had nothing to do with it.
Chris.
And this is why the world has largely moved to a black box processing model.

Douglas R. Allen

Those are some nice graphs, Douglas. I would appreciate a lot if you could post some extra pictures for me to make some sense of it and maybe manage to make this sound a little decent.  :D

This is a wedding weekend for me. Practice tonight. Dinner Friday. Saturday the show. If you don't need the crossover information until next Friday I'll post what I have Sunday morning. Bunch of pictures an approaches.

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

I still run into bands that use EQ to "try" to crossover a system. Think SP2's and a pair of 18 inch subs. Left channel 100hz and below pulled out for tops. Right channel 100hz and above pulled out for subs. Then I look and the amps have a basic crossover in them.......

Douglas R. Allen

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound

Chris, I think you are right.  +1 for T.J.  I don't think there were any "black box" processors available at that time.  Meyer came up with the first I saw soon after that.

I'm still curious about the "system" being rented in this thread.  Is it really a "system" of just a collection of boxes and amps.  If so, that's pretty scary IMO !  My advise is to look for a real system to rent! 

Fernando Lucchesi

This is a wedding weekend for me. Practice tonight. Dinner Friday. Saturday the show. If you don't need the crossover information until next Friday I'll post what I have Sunday morning. Bunch of pictures an approaches.

Douglas R. Allen

Actually, I meant this Friday (tomorrow), but don't, worry, Douglas, I can make it work with the information you provided. Thanks a lot!

Fernando Lucchesi

Chris, I think you are right.  +1 for T.J.  I don't think there were any "black box" processors available at that time.  Meyer came up with the first I saw soon after that.

I'm still curious about the "system" being rented in this thread.  Is it really a "system" of just a collection of boxes and amps.  If so, that's pretty scary IMO !  My advise is to look for a real system to rent!

Yeah, this is a really scary PA system, and to think the band has a pretty decent backline, JCM, Hartke, Pearl... They rented the PA from a guy downtown, he's a lighting technicians who ended up buying some cabinets so he could sell the whole smash instead of just renting lighting and L.E.D. dancing floors. The band contacted me after they heard this guy's PA without any x-over or EQ straight from a WATTSOM console (VERY LOW-END National Console).

These is what I'm dealing with...

They though about renting my system instead, but unfortunately, I only own 4 "18 subwoofers and 6 2x6" lines (HIGH-END fortunately).

The problem is, I didn't get to look at the real situation until yesterday, so not enough time to get everything I need for this to sound half-decent

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

At what time? Before founding Meyer Sound Labs John Meyer worked at McCune AV in San Fransisco. While there he developed several bi-amp and tri-amp systems that had "black box" processing. The McCune JM-3 was a tri-amped horn loaded speaker with 2 Altec 421 woofers, an Altec 290 compression driver on a 60x40 segmented horn, and 2 EV T350 tweeters. It had a dedicated amp rack with a Crown DC300 for the low, a DC150 for the mid, and a DC60 for the tweets. The crossover, system eq, and limiters were in a card frame mounted in the rack that had a panel to cover all the control. There was only a single pot on the input of each amp rack, no other controls. For its time it was an amazing speaker system and led to John Meyer founding MSL, and the Apogee 3x3.

I first ran into JM3s in the mid 1970s, the were first produced in 1971. The McCune SM3 was a 12" bi-amp cabinet with a similar drive system whose direct descendant is the Meyer UPA-1.

Mac

Stephen Kirby

How loud do they expect it?  How many of those boxes can you disconnect?

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.