ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED] NEED HELP - Desperately needing help to split frequencies (01V96i)  (Read 14357 times)

Fernando Lucchesi

Greetings!

I recently acquired a YAMAHA 01v96i and I have no experience whatsoever with it.

Last week I closed a deal about operating the P.A. for a band with my console this next Friday, the problem is, I only got to look at the P.A. this afternoon, and it has no crossover, neither does the P.A. After thinking for a while and messing around the Studio Manager, I think I came to a solution, but I'm not sure it'll actually work, since my 01v is only arriving tomorrow and the P.A. will be assembled on the event's date, besides all that, I have no considerable experience with this console.

They'll be using a MONO P.A., so I thought in using equalizer in BUS1 and BUS2 to split the signal in the following manner:

The LOW FREQUENCIES to the BUS1 => STEREO OUT (L) and MID FREQUENCIES to the BUS2 => STEREO OUT (R).

1st - I would ROUTE all the channels to BUS1 and BUS2, besides removing their routing to STEREO OUT, so as to avoid unwanted frequencies coming out unsplitted through the P.A.

2nd - I would route BUS1 and BUS2 to STEREO OUT

3rd - I would put a Low-Pass Filter in the BUS1 (LOWS /L)'s equalizer and PAN it all the way to the LEFT

4th - I would put a High-Pass Filter in the BUS2 (MIDS /R)'s equalizer and PAN it all the way to the RIGHT

I would like to know if this settings would work, and if in the case it wouldn't, if you guys could help me to find a solution to this problem without crossover.

Thanks!

P.S.: Sorry about the broken english, I'm not a native speaker.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:20:27 PM by Fernando Lucchesi »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN

Greetings!

I recently acquired a YAMAHA 01v96i and I have no experience whatsoever with it.

Last week I closed a deal about operating the P.A. for a band with my console this next Friday, the problem is, I only got to look at the P.A. this afternoon, and it has no crossover, neither does the P.A. After thinking for a while and messing around the Studio Manager, I think I came to a solution, but I'm not sure it'll actually work, since my 01v is only arriving tomorrow and the P.A. will be assembled on the event's date, besides all that, I have no considerable experience with this console.

They'll be using a MONO P.A., so I thought in using equalizer in BUS1 and BUS2 to split the signal in the following manner:

The LOW FREQUENCIES to the BUS1 => STEREO OUT (L) and MID FREQUENCIES to the BUS2 => STEREO OUT (R).

1st - I would ROUTE all the channels to BUS1 and BUS2, besides removing their routing to STEREO OUT, so as to avoid unwanted frequencies coming out unsplitted through the P.A.

3rd - I would put a Low-Pass Filter in the BUS1 (LOWS /L)'s equalizer and PAN it all the way to the LEFT

4th - I would put a High-Pass Filter in the BUS2 (MIDS /R)'s equalizer and PAN it all the way to the RIGHT

I would like to know if this settings would work, and if in the case it wouldn't, if you guys could help me to find a solution to this problem without crossover.

Thanks!

At a casual glance that sounds like it will work to a degree, however that's a pretty rudimentary crossover with a fixed slope (12dB/octave?).  Are you trying to split between mains and subwoofers, or between a woofer and a tweeter?  You will have better results between your mains and subs.  Using it between the mid and high band will be a poor result.

You will eventually want to have a real crossover.  Analog units like the dBX 223 are very cheap on the used market (less than $50 US), and digital crossovers aren't very much more than that.

What did the band do before you came?

Fernando Lucchesi

At a casual glance that sounds like it will work to a degree, however that's a pretty rudimentary crossover with a fixed slope (12dB/octave?).  Are you trying to split between mains and subwoofers, or between a woofer and a tweeter?  You will have better results between your mains and subs.  Using it between the mid and high band will be a poor result.

You will eventually want to have a real crossover.  Analog units like the dBX 223 are very cheap on the used market (less than $50 US), and digital crossovers aren't very much more than that.

What did the band do before you came?

I'm trying to split between 3Way Mains and Subs, I haven't yet tried the HPF frequencies, so I'll probably make it something more like a Medium/High-Pass-Filter.

I had two DCX2496 but they got stolen a couple of months ago along with my LH500, I'll have to figure it out until I can buy new ones...  :-\

Apparently the bands just plugged the whole thing going everywhere, no crossover, no equalizers, no filters, nothing... They're a pretty decent band, but their P.A. equipment isn't anything remotely close to adequate.

But, will these settings work? I'm very new to the 01V, I used to work with a LS9, but that's completely easy compared to the 01V with all the patching and routing involved...

Thanks!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN

I'm trying to split between 3Way Mains and Subs, I haven't yet tried the HPF frequencies, so I'll probably make it something more like a Medium/High-Pass-Filter.

I had two DCX2496 but they got stolen a couple of months ago along with my LH500, I'll have to figure it out until I can buy new ones...  :-\

Apparently the bands just plugged the whole thing going everywhere, no crossover, no equalizers, no filters, nothing... They're a pretty decent band, but their P.A. equipment isn't anything remotely close to adequate.

But, will these settings work? I'm very new to the 01V, I used to work with a LS9, but that's completely easy compared to the 01V with all the patching and routing involved...

Thanks!
It will work better than nothing, but it's a poor substitute to a real crossover.

The 01v96 is a very powerful console - especially considering it was released in 2003, but it lacks some of the more modern user interface elements (not that the LS9 was great).

Fernando Lucchesi

It will work better than nothing, but it's a poor substitute to a real crossover.

The 01v96 is a very powerful console - especially considering it was released in 2003, but it lacks some of the more modern user interface elements (not that the LS9 was great).

That's some great news, considering I have no experience with the 01V and I was able to figure it out.
The band will surely be satisfied, considering they had their bass coming out of their mains and hi-hats coming out of their subwoofers.

Not a great solution, probably not even half-decent, but I'll have to make it do until I can get my hands on some new crossovers.

Thank you, VERY MUCH, TOM, you were EXTREMELY HELPFUL, I was very unsure about these settings, since my lack of experience with the console and the narrow time frame.

I'll make sure to post my results about this in case some else need some reference in the future!

;D

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA

Get a driverack.  That's what it's for.  Why mickey mouse something with the console?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Fernando Lucchesi

Get a driverack.  That's what it's for.  Why mickey mouse something with the console?

Someone stole my crossovers and I didn't get to look at the P.A. until today, so I got no time to rent any...

Unfortunately I'll have to make it do with this

Fernando Lucchesi

Both my LPF and HPF combined

Not optimal, but C'est la vie

Douglas R. Allen

Greetings!

Thanks!

I modeled both 100hz high pass and low pass filters with smaart for my o1v96 and it can be done quite well using 2 filters. I'll post the filters when I get home this evening. They very closely match a 4th order L/R filter in a DriveRack, Peavey CEX5, and a low cut filter in a Peavey analog crossover.

Douglas R. Allen

If you need this for next Friday I can post a bunch of pictures and idea's to make this work. I purchased one of the first 01v96's in 2003 and have used the filters off and on for years in just the same way you need them. Doing walk in's for a band and "Hey , where is the crossover..."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:16:53 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

Fernando Lucchesi

I modeled both 100hz high pass and low pass filters with smaart for my o1v96 and it can be done quite well using 2 filters. I'll post the filters when I get home this evening. They very closely match a 4th order L/R filter in a DriveRack, Peavey CEX5, and a low cut filter in a Peavey analog crossover.

Douglas R. Allen

If you need this for next Friday I can post a bunch of pictures and idea's to make this work. I purchased one of the first 01v96's in 2003 and have used the filters off and on for years in just the same way you need them. Doing walk in's for a band and "Hey , where is the crossover..."

Those are some nice graphs, Douglas. I would appreciate a lot if you could post some extra pictures for me to make some sense of it and maybe manage to make this sound a little decent.  :D

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.