ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED] NEED HELP - Desperately needing help to split frequencies (01V96i)  (Read 14369 times)

Fernando Lucchesi

How loud do they expect it?  How many of those boxes can you disconnect?

The place is booked for around 600 - 700 people, so they expect it pretty loud... Given the low performances boxes and amps, I'll try not to disconnect any, so I can work with the amps below the saturation limit...

Douglas R. Allen

Actually, I meant this Friday (tomorrow), but don't, worry, Douglas, I can make it work with the information you provided. Thanks a lot!

Really quickly. If you want to cut 100hz and below out the mains and use an Post Fade Aux for subs.

Main eq.
TYPE 1 eq.
HPF Set to 212Hz
Low Mid set to 112 hz with Q set to 1.1 with an 8db boost. This will give you the 24 db per octave cut seen in the photo I posted.

In an Aux Out Master layer.
Type 1 eq.
LPF set to 53 hz.
Low Mid set to 100hz with a Q of 1.1 with a 6.5 db boost.
This will give you a 24 db per octave cut for the sub system.

With this 100hz and above for the mains, 100hz and below for the subs. You can also use the delay in the required bandpass to align the drivers if required. Wish I had time for more but I'm heading out!

Have a great gig and report back , with pictures!

Douglas R. Allen

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound

Fernando, good luck with your event.  I'm betting you will make it work!  Let us know how it went.

Mac, of course you are correct about John Meyer.  The first "black box processors I knew about were for the UPA's, and I think that was right after my system got "trashed".  I later learned about John's history in the industry. 

Interestingly, around that time I received a lot of tech riders where engineers rejected any system with cross-over parameters that could not be full accessed (adjusted) by the engineers.  Some riders even named Meyer products specifically as "unacceptable".  Can you imagine? That was a long time ago.  My how things have changed, and I think for the better!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN

Interestingly, around that time I received a lot of tech riders where engineers rejected any system with cross-over parameters that could not be full accessed (adjusted) by the engineers.  Some riders even named Meyer products specifically as "unacceptable".  Can you imagine? That was a long time ago.  My how things have changed, and I think for the better!
There are still people who expect this, including at least one poster on this board. 

This has been discussed before - BEs feel that system techs are incompetent, and system techs feel that BEs are incompetent, thus the battle, and there are examples of truth on each side of the issue.

I'm happy to let a BE adjust the system tuning as long as the black box presets are still applied, however it's not worth the hassle to go farther than that - I'd rather turn down a show than to sort out broken gear and who pays for it.

Fernando Lucchesi

Really quickly. If you want to cut 100hz and below out the mains and use an Post Fade Aux for subs.

Main eq.
TYPE 1 eq.
HPF Set to 212Hz
Low Mid set to 112 hz with Q set to 1.1 with an 8db boost. This will give you the 24 db per octave cut seen in the photo I posted.

In an Aux Out Master layer.
Type 1 eq.
LPF set to 53 hz.
Low Mid set to 100hz with a Q of 1.1 with a 6.5 db boost.
This will give you a 24 db per octave cut for the sub system.

With this 100hz and above for the mains, 100hz and below for the subs. You can also use the delay in the required bandpass to align the drivers if required. Wish I had time for more but I'm heading out!

Have a great gig and report back , with pictures!

Douglas R. Allen

Hey, Douglas, Don. Sorry for the absence. It has been a very long weekend. Well, you'll be happy to know everything turned out alright (except for the microphone feedback I was getting in the beginning given the excessive amount of of monitor in that small stage (4 floor monitors, 2 side monitors, plus 4 lines on the ceiling), your EQ settings worked really well, although I noticed I could steepen the slope a little bit more if I change it to a TYPE 2 EQ, not enough to be noticeable, but still, I needed all the help I could get.

We had some last minute changes with the P.A. system, but still, no X-over

Here you can see the difference in the output signal since LOWs were coming out of the LEFT STEREO OUT and MIDS out of the RIGHT one.

Here's me by the right side of the stage trying to make things work. LOL

Here some other pictures of the PA system and lighting

Now, here's a little mixing I did with the recordings I did that night. Man, this 16 tracks USB recording is a beautiful thing. The song is in Portuguese, but I guess that's not really the point. My favourite part is the backing vocals around 2:55, let me know what you guys think about it!

http://picosong.com/DTQ4/

Thanks for the help guys, I'll sure keep pestering all of you for a while!  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:25:11 PM by Fernando Lucchesi »

Thomas Le

Off topic, Why are majority of the faders pegged to the +10 area?

Fernando Lucchesi

Off topic, Why are majority of the faders pegged to the +10 area?

If you're talking about the last 5 faders, those are the buses 4-8, they weren't even ON, not sure why they're maxed out like that though... As for the AUXs, the vocalists were pretty deaf and kept asking for more monitor volume...

Douglas R. Allen

Now, here's a little mixing I did with the recordings I did that night. Man, this 16 tracks USB recording is a beautiful thing. The song is in Portuguese, but I guess that's not really the point. My favourite part is the backing vocals around 2:55, let me know what you guys think about it!

http://picosong.com/DTQ4/

Thanks for the help guys, I'll sure keep pestering all of you for a while!  :D
[/quote]

Nice recording for the night.  If I remember right I used type 1 to get as close as I could to a L/R filter. Type 2 as you say is a slightly steeper slope but I could get a closer L/R filter using type 1.
Glad things went well!
Put up another recording should you get a chance.

Douglas R. Allen

As a side note you can select your view of the meters on the meters page. You can select Pre Fade and eq , post eq , or post fade. This may give you better levels to keep those faders closer to 0db. (if you want)

Douglas R. Allen

If you're talking about the last 5 faders, those are the buses 4-8, they weren't even ON, not sure why they're maxed out like that though... As for the AUXs, the vocalists were pretty deaf and kept asking for more monitor volume...

Ahh, you were on the Master Layer and those were the Monitor Master sends. Explains a lot!

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

Off topic somewhat but my wedding turned out great. Mixed with the tablet and left the mixer just inside the trailer. Should you get a chance look into AirFader for your mixer. Learning curve but well worth it!
Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.