ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Delay Speakers - Setup Questions  (Read 9255 times)

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
Re: Wireless Delay Speakers - Setup Questions
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 01:44:01 pm »

It does work, and I use the same system in the same capacity often. My advice is, set the squelch on your RX rather high (to keep erroneous RF from hitting the RX causing loud static/interference). Also, you MUST use a directional antenna (like the Sennheiser A2003) on the TX, so factor that extra couple of hundred dollars into to your decision.

Josh Rawls

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2016, 03:06:10 pm »

It does work, and I use the same system in the same capacity often. My advice is, set the squelch on your RX rather high (to keep erroneous RF from hitting the RX causing loud static/interference). Also, you MUST use a directional antenna (like the Sennheiser A2003) on the TX, so factor that extra couple of hundred dollars into to your decision.

Wouldn't I need two directionals per receiver, for a total of 4?

What if I made a bracket for the included antennas that would allow me to mount them higher up and on the other side of the wall? The bracket would keep the same spacing as on the receiver.
Josh Rawls

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 04:20:02 pm »

What if I made a bracket for the included antennas that would allow me to mount them higher up and on the other side of the wall? The bracket would keep the same spacing as on the receiver.

You can get by with one per receiver. Alternatively, you can use the Shure UA221 passive splitter/combiner kit which has a couple of combiner modules to use one antenna to feed two receivers. With that, you can feed both antenna inputs. But, not entirely needed.

The Shure UA505 is a remote mounting bracket that you can use to mount the antenna. You can also order the Shure A56D which would allow you to clamp on to most places and have a threaded post for attaching the antenna to.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 06:49:28 pm »

Oops, my reply was specific to the IEM system method with IEM beltpacks at the speakers. If you're considering using the EW300IEM transmitter with standard EW100 receivers at the speakers, in my opinion, you should be able to get away with an A2003 on the IEM transmitter output and the normal whips on the receivers. But if you can swing paddles for the receivers too then even better.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 08:42:50 am »

Do you guys really think external antennae are needed to go 100 ft?  I use the most inexpensive Sennheiser system (the XSW) and have never had any issues going that far with just the stock gear.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 10:18:29 am »

Do you guys really think external antennae are needed to go 100 ft?  I use the most inexpensive Sennheiser system (the XSW) and have never had any issues going that far with just the stock gear.

It's a wedding. Brides (and often their mothers, even more so!) are relentlessly unforgiving about technical "issues." There's something like 900 bridal lead/review sites, and the last thing you want is a review of "HORRIBLE SOUND! Half of my guests couldn't hear our toasts because the mic kept cutting out!" Even though that's not what really happened, it'll still be out there.

That being said, part of this gear discussion is dependent on what the RF environment is in the first place. People commonly assume directional antenna increase the RF strength- I don't know about the transmitter side for certain, but on the receiver side, they actually "increase off-axis RF-rejection." So, if there is no other RF activity in the area, the main benefit in using these is getting the antenna up high so you have a direct line of sight. Pointing a pair of A2003 or UA874US directly at each other, though, will create a pretty resilient signal, tho.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 10:23:08 am »

That being said, part of this gear discussion is dependent on what the RF environment is in the first place. People commonly assume directional antenna increase the RF strength- I don't know about the transmitter side for certain, but on the receiver side, they actually "increase off-axis RF-rejection." So, if there is no other RF activity in the area, the main benefit in using these is getting the antenna up high so you have a direct line of sight. Pointing a pair of A2003 or UA874US directly at each other, though, will create a pretty resilient signal, tho.

-Ray
+ directional antennas could overload when the transmitter is too close to the transmitter, causing distortion and dropouts.
Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

Robert Piascik

• Hilliard, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 10:41:03 am »

It's a wedding. Brides (and often their mothers, even more so!) are relentlessly unforgiving about technical "issues."

Yep
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R / XR12
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k / Xti6k

David Allred

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 11:14:14 am »

I hate the overall shape of the room.  It doesn't look like a hotel ballroom.   Having said that, is there an overhead system that can be patched into for the announcements and even the meet and greet & dinner music?  It appears that the wedding planner wants you out of the way and at the end of the dance floor.  You primary purpose seems to be as DJ for the dance floor.  An overhead may not be available, but it does give you options if there is. 

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 11:24:13 am »

I hate the overall shape of the room.  It doesn't look like a hotel ballroom.   Having said that, is there an overhead system that can be patched into for the announcements and even the meet and greet & dinner music?  It appears that the wedding planner wants you out of the way and at the end of the dance floor.  You primary purpose seems to be as DJ for the dance floor.  An overhead may not be available, but it does give you options if there is.

Installed systems at event venues are often of poor quality. When I was a DJ, I never wanted to rely on that. I was being paid to deliver a high quality result, and "the venue sound system sucks" (or even worse "their speakers had failed completely at a previous event!") was never an excuse I would ever be able to give to a client. (There was even one venue that had a "required to be used" house system - a consumer receiver/speakers with RCA inputs. Even if I used it, I still had a pair of 450s in the car, Just In Case.)

The toasts are a very important part of the evening, and they need to sound just as good as the rest of the evening.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 11:24:13 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.