ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Options for Bar audio system  (Read 9192 times)

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
Re: Options for Bar audio system
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 10:23:49 PM »

So now we have homemade speakers.

-Hal

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 12:33:07 AM »

Max, Thank you for all of the information!!!!  I presented this to the owner and he like the solution.  The only request he had was that the speaker boxes mounted on the ceiling were reused.  The reason being is that i guess he paid quite a bit of money having them built and would like to keep them.  With that presents what to do with changing out the current speakers in there.  The woofers are goldwood gw-8pc/8  and tweeters are pyramid tw44.  He ultimately would like to have all 20 speakers in the bar working.  But just to get things going we agreed on getting 10 of the speakers up and going before moving onto more.   Currently there are only 6 woofers and tweeters running on the 3 amps and they haven't had any issues.   Any ideas on what would be a good solution for this with amps and speakers?

Wow you realize that's a $12.00 woofer and an $8.00 HF driver that doesn't go below 2k.

The owners insistence on using the existing boxes, the budget and the lack of concern for obtaining legal rights to play the music makes this at best a hobby shop effort, at worst a criminal enterprise,  and something I can't imagine you want to be attached to. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 07:42:19 AM »

The reason being is that i guess he paid quite a bit of money having them built and would like to keep them. 
If that is the case-then he got ripped off the first time.

Are the boxes safe to hang?  What about the liability if one falls?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Max Hall

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 08:21:54 PM »

Max, Thank you for all of the information!!!!  I presented this to the owner and he like the solution.  The only request he had was that the speaker boxes mounted on the ceiling were reused.  The reason being is that i guess he paid quite a bit of money having them built and would like to keep them.  With that presents what to do with changing out the current speakers in there.  The woofers are goldwood gw-8pc/8  and tweeters are pyramid tw44.  He ultimately would like to have all 20 speakers in the bar working.  But just to get things going we agreed on getting 10 of the speakers up and going before moving onto more.   Currently there are only 6 woofers and tweeters running on the 3 amps and they haven't had any issues.   Any ideas on what would be a good solution for this with amps and speakers?

Hi Gene,     

So are you trying to reuse the existing amps as well, or just the speakers?  The Woofers of those speakers would probably take about 200w and the tweeters also 200w just to round things up, basically 400w rms per speaker!?. I presume that the speakers have got decent passive crossovers built within the unit and then connections either round off to jacks or maybe push terminals.  When working properly, the size woofers supposedly go down to 25 hertz which isn't bad for 8". This would be suitable for background music. 

In regard to amps, if you are going to eventually end up with 20 speakers. Depending on price of amps, ideally you would have 10 amps(if 2 channel or 5 amps if 4 channel), so L+R = 20 speakers. But unless you have a large mixer with multiple outputs, trying to split 2 outputs into 20 may be a bit difficult.

Hope this helps and ask if you need any more help.

Many Thanks

Max
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 07:30:49 PM by Max Hall »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 11:02:31 AM »

If only there was some way to loop the aforementioned amplifiers together, so one set of inputs daisy-chains through all of them...

Of course, I'm still trying to get a grasp on the whole "don't turn the amplifier all the way up" train of thought you had...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 11:28:21 AM »

This thread is making my head hurt. Buy 10 of these and call it a day:

http://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/play1

There are several commercially music services available on Sonos which include licensing. The bar should already have a secured network. If not, add an Apple Airport Express for $100.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 12:10:04 PM »

But they spent so much money on the previous speakers... surely they can reuse SOMETHING..?!? Heh.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 12:27:19 PM »

But they spent so much money on the previous speakers... surely they can reuse SOMETHING..?!? Heh.

-Ray
Hide the Sonos inside the 'custom' speaker boxes. BOOM! Problem solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max Hall

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 06:41:57 PM »

If only there was some way to loop the aforementioned amplifiers together, so one set of inputs daisy-chains through all of them...

Of course, I'm still trying to get a grasp on the whole "don't turn the amplifier all the way up" train of thought you had...

-Ray

It would be good and there are options like that but you're looking at a steep increase in price.

The reason I said that is for a few reasons:

1) As you said the days of thumping out music with no worries is gone, so except for special events when that is needed amps rarely have to be 'pushed'.

2) The fewer things you have to explain to staff about the sound system the better, otherwise for some, the importance/power of being 'allowed' to touch the mix console goes to their heads and they try to be smart and technical with the equipment.     (How often have you been in a bar where the music is loud but good songs are playing so you don't mind, apart from you can hardly tell the song thats playing. Could simply be because the eq needs tweaking but sometimes a case that the sound system is past its best and is damaged from overload.)

3) I am a firm believer that when you set up the equipment it should be set up in a way so that amps are left alone (unless necessary) and that mixers are set up so that the master Ie. Turned up half way is for normal days and fully up for special events and then everything else can stay set at tuned levels.

4)  Probably the most important is legal reasons, not only for neighbours but for staff working (important in placement of speakers) so that certain staff aren't exposed to continuous dangerous levels of sound. The recommended DB exposure will surprise you in being quite low. Even though overall music isn't loud, if the bartender has a speaker every hour/day he is working inches away from his head, it all adds up.

In UK  the averages for a busy bar or club. But not saying these apply to all bars.

Occupation                  dB
Bar staff                 89 - 99
Glass collectors         90 - 100
Waiters                 102
DJs                         93 - 99
Lighting technician   104
Security                 97
Door                         84
Dance floor         94 - 104

Could just buy some SONOS Connect Amps and power existing speakers of off them, aren't hugely powerful but not bad.

Many Thanks    Max

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 07:51:10 PM »

It would be good and there are options like that but you're looking at a steep increase in price.

The reason I said that is for a few reasons:

1) As you said the days of thumping out music with no worries is gone, so except for special events when that is needed amps rarely have to be 'pushed'.

2) The fewer things you have to explain to staff about the sound system the better, otherwise for some, the importance/power of being 'allowed' to touch the mix console goes to their heads and they try to be smart and technical with the equipment.     (How often have you been in a bar where the music is loud but good songs are playing so you don't mind, apart from you can hardly tell the song thats playing. Could simply be because the eq needs tweaking but sometimes a case that the sound system is past its best and is damaged from overload.)

3) I am a firm believer that when you set up the equipment it should be set up in a way so that amps are left alone (unless necessary) and that mixers are set up so that the master Ie. Turned up half way is for normal days and fully up for special events and then everything else can stay set at tuned levels.

4)  Probably the most important is legal reasons, not only for neighbours but for staff working (important in placement of speakers) so that certain staff aren't exposed to continuous dangerous levels of sound. The recommended DB exposure will surprise you in being quite low. Even though overall music isn't loud, if the bartender has a speaker every hour/day he is working inches away from his head, it all adds up.

In UK  the averages for a busy bar or club. But not saying these apply to all bars.

Occupation                  dB
Bar staff                 89 - 99
Glass collectors         90 - 100
Waiters                 102
DJs                         93 - 99
Lighting technician   104
Security                 97
Door                         84
Dance floor         94 - 104

Could just buy some SONOS Connect Amps and power existing speakers of off them, aren't hugely powerful but not bad.

Many Thanks    Max
Max,

Two of the three amps you listed have the ability to loop through. I was being tongue in cheek. You would do more benefit to the OP if you knew the capabilities of the products you recommend, and not suggest that he needs to undertake extra effort for no reason.

This of course is assuming that you've actually installed and used any of those amplifiers..

Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 07:51:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.