ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital mixers for small to medium applications  (Read 10753 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: Digital mixers for small to medium applications
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 10:53:42 PM »

Something to consider is the sheer number of X32 users out there.  Many bands have an X32/M32 show file they can hand you prior to the gig (I just sent mine off for next weekends festival).

It is my opinion that there isn't enough sonic difference between the major contenders (with the possible exception of the Presonus) to shake a stick at, so that shouldn't be the deciding factor.

I simply can't handle the idea of having a digital mixer without LCD scribble strips.  This one feature separates the pack IMO.  With this in mind, the only 2 mixers in this price category that I would recommend is the Soundcraft Si Impact, and the X32 mixers (except the producer).  If you want to step up to the MIDAS branded "Producer", it does have scribble strips, but will cost you a couple thousand more for the same features.

If you are considering the stage box approach, then make sure to take the price difference of the entire package into effect as well.  Soundcraft stage boxes are quite a bit more expensive than X32 stage boxes, so add up the entire cost of mixer and stage boxes if you intend to go this route.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 12:55:55 AM »

What the OP didn't mention is whether this is for a band of his own, or providing sound for others.  And whether BEs are involved.  As mentioned, this tips the scales a bit.  I think the Soundcraft and A&H Qu's are easier for an analog person to come up on, but agree that more BEs are probably ready to go on the Behringer.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 07:22:55 AM »

M32R, with a stagebox for later expansion.  Why?  Because all the entries at this level are good options (except for the presonus IMHO), and this combo hasn't been suggested yet, I don't think. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 11:16:04 AM »

+1 for Cailen.  The X32 files work with the M32 and the Midas stage boxes are only marginally more expensive that the Behringer versions. 

Another +1 for "digital scribble strips".  If there are multiple acts, you just can't (or shouldn't) do without them.  That's another BIG minus for the PreSonus along with non recallable gain settings (the rack version has them  . . . finally).

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 12:51:17 PM »

Another +1 for "digital scribble strips".  If there are multiple acts, you just can't (or shouldn't) do without them.  That's another BIG minus for the PreSonus along with non recallable gain settings (the rack version has them  . . . finally).
I don't own the Presonus anymore, but I do feel the need to correct bad information. With the newer rack mixers and the dedicated control surface, the Presonus has motorized faders and scribble strips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 02:02:40 PM »

I'm curious about the multiple act aspect of this.  I don't know of any boards under discussion here that have full size keyboards.  Either you're on a little LCD touch screen or a tablet.  How fast can you edit the channel names compared to rolling out tape and writing with a Sharpie?  Are people's shows so organized that you can set up scenes for every band ahead of time and never have the keyboardist show up with two boards or the guitarist show up with an added acoustic and throw off all your planned assignments?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2016, 02:31:25 PM »

Not just because the QU mixers only have editable channels on the LCD readout but not next to the faders, but I have never ever missed having scribble strips personally ( probably a bit old school of me).
I have magnetic strips that I have made and I attach white electrical tape across them and draw on black lines in permanent marker.
 Then I make labels for each channel and choose the appropriate strip I need for each band and the others 'stick' to the underneath of the mixer out of the way. If I mix for a new band, I either get the info ahead of time or if not available I write the info on a blank strip at the show. I can then remove the marks with nail polish remover to use over again.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2016, 03:10:59 PM »

To the OP, any of the new digital boards are great and are going to get the job done for you.  Everyone is going to recommend their personal favorite of course, but it would be difficult to make a bad choice as long as you stick with one of the major brands mentioned here.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2016, 05:42:49 PM »

Hi Folks,

Have been using a Mackie DL32R for over a year.  Just finished my summer soft-seat theater concert series, and the DL32R is now sitting in a local venue for a few weeks before going to a weekend dance festival.
Has some features other mixers don't have, missing some as well.  Works for me.
Using the DL1608 for smaller gigs.
Have also used the QSC Touchmix a couple times.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 06:37:10 PM »

Stephen

Of course not every show is that organized, but it has happened for a few Christian gigs with bands touring together where every band has their show on a M32/X32 drive.  Each loaded and saved their show in the consoles.  Of course they had this planned and worked out in advance. 

Most of our shows have a headliner that at least gets their input list in the console before we load in.  After their sound check, its easy to make a few changes by tablet to accommodate the differences in in the openers (usually only one or two acts) input requirements.

For large festivals, that probably couldn't work.  With the advent of lower cost and smaller digital consoles, a majority of the bands have their on FOH consoles and many have their on monitor rigs.  A bunch of the groups even carry their on mics and cable harnesses so all we have to do is switch L, R, Subs, and Fills through our Radial 4 channel switch.  Maybe we've been lucky with the music scene in our area.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2016, 06:37:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.