ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital mixers for small to medium applications  (Read 10879 times)

Joe Arnold

Digital mixers for small to medium applications
« on: August 09, 2016, 10:09:47 AM »

Ok, so another analog guy ready to jump in the deep end of the pool and finally go digital.  I currently use an Allen and Heath Mix Wizard 16:2, love the sound quality.  Upgraded the rest of the system to Crown Itechs, EV qrx 218s and 212s, 112s for the monitors.  So....looking at the Allen and Heath Qu chrome series, I've also been given recommendations for Soundcraft Si, a Yamaha model that I don't remember, and the PreSonus.  It will be for live sound only, pondering the need for 24 or just 16 channels (16 most of the time), and sonic quality is my number 1 concern.  Would love some opinions from those more savvy than myself.....and.....go....

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Digital mixers for small to medium applications
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 10:16:57 AM »

Ok, so another analog guy ready to jump in the deep end of the pool and finally go digital.  I currently use an Allen and Heath Mix Wizard 16:2, love the sound quality.

It will be for live sound only, pondering the need for 24 or just 16 channels (16 most of the time), and sonic quality is my number 1 concern.  Would love some opinions from those more savvy than myself.....and.....go....

My experience is limited to Soundcraft digital desks but, as the new owner of a gently used Si Expression 1 (16 channel, rack mount), I can recommend that series.  Sonic quality is very, very good (your ears may vary) and the workflow is incredibly intuitive - especially coming from the analog world.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Art Nadelman

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 10:36:05 AM »

If you like the sound of the Mix Wizard, I'd stick with the Allen & Heath and go with an A&H QU system.  When you say "16 most of the time", does that mean more or fewer some of the time?  Also, the number of outputs that you need will be a deciding factor.

You can't go wrong with the QU's though.  Personally, I like the QU-24 and the QU-Pac.

Art

Joe Arnold

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »

If you like the sound of the Mix Wizard, I'd stick with the Allen & Heath and go with an A&H QU system.  When you say "16 most of the time", does that mean more or fewer some of the time?  Also, the number of outputs that you need will be a deciding factor.

You can't go wrong with the QU's though.  Personally, I like the QU-24 and the QU-Pac.

Art

most of what I run requires 16 or less, maybe a couple of times a year I need more.  so far I've just sub-mixed from an 8 channel when I've had to

Joe Arnold

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 10:48:52 AM »

My experience is limited to Soundcraft digital desks but, as the new owner of a gently used Si Expression 1 (16 channel, rack mount), I can recommend that series.  Sonic quality is very, very good (your ears may vary) and the workflow is incredibly intuitive - especially coming from the analog world.

Dave

That could be a factor for consideration. 

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 11:15:19 AM »

Dave
I use the SI expression 1 and 3, they sound good and simple  to set up.

the main benefit of digital consoles are the processing. if you know how to use them then it is worth it. if not stay with analog. unless you want track recording.
Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 11:17:58 AM »

Ok, so another analog guy ready to jump in the deep end of the pool and finally go digital.  I currently use an Allen and Heath Mix Wizard 16:2, love the sound quality.  Upgraded the rest of the system to Crown Itechs, EV qrx 218s and 212s, 112s for the monitors.  So....looking at the Allen and Heath Qu chrome series, I've also been given recommendations for Soundcraft Si, a Yamaha model that I don't remember, and the PreSonus.  It will be for live sound only, pondering the need for 24 or just 16 channels (16 most of the time), and sonic quality is my number 1 concern.  Would love some opinions from those more savvy than myself.....and.....go....
Joe - they're all good, and a lot has been written about all the contenders - Behringer X32 series, A&H Qu series, Soundcrafts, etc.  Spend some time searching the forum and you will find the answers you seek.

Simon P. Coffin

• Home Page
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 11:54:02 AM »

Hi Joe,
Sound quality is not going to be an issue with the current crop of name brand compact digital consoles.  They all sound quite good, with subtle differences.  How their GUI fits your work flow and preferences is going to make a much larger difference.

As others have said, the Soundcraft and Allen&Heath consoles are a safe bet.  The Presonus models strike me as being a bit dated at this point.

This past spring I bought an A&H Qu-16 for a Friday Evening concert series and have been pleasantly surprised.  The build quality is very good, as are the dynamics, GUI and workflow.  The ability to record full tracks to a USB drive is a nice feature and works without a hitch.  I'm still working to get the effects sounds I want, but they are very usable out of the box and can be tailored to fit, I just need to spend some more time tweaking.

Cheers,
Simon   
Simon P. Coffin

StoneGate Audio Engineering
Audio and lighting solutions for live events, weddings and celebrations
State College, PA
http://www.stonegateaudio.com
[email protected]

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 12:31:07 PM »

You might also consider the digital stagebox options.  With Soundcraft you can use a 16ch stagebox into your 16 channel board and end up with 32 inputs, between digital and analog.  Or 32 + 16.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Roland Clarke

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 12:55:39 PM »

The best two mixers I've come across in the sub £5000 mark are the Soundcraft expression and the presonus RM32ai.  The Soundcraft is easy to use and just sounds good without much effort, the Presonus is great sounding with decent effects (though only 2 verbs and two delays).  I've had a bit of experience with the A&H qu and its ok but not very ergonomic in my opinion.  The other obvious choice is the Behringer X32, that is the vanilla choice and easiest to find a replacement if you need one, OK fx, OK operation, OK iPad app, good price point.  You pays your money and takes your choice at this end of the market.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 12:55:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.