ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Well that's why the PRX700-series is gone  (Read 22952 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Well that's why the PRX700-series is gone
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 10:54:24 AM »

The speakers are not that fragile.  Of course you are using covers when transporting them, right?  If your people are destroying them, I'm betting you have other issues that need resolved.

I agree.... we don't have help so our stuff is really looked after as Chris and I are the only ones touching the equipment. But if we did, I would invest in heavier duty cases. Right now I use padded covers and bags for my powered speakers and they still look like new.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jay Marr

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 01:13:58 PM »

The speakers are not that fragile.  Of course you are using covers when transporting them, right?  If your people are destroying them, I'm betting you have other issues that need resolved.

Always use covers...but if you think a padded cover can keep my drummer from bumping the speaker into a door and knocking a knob off....then let me introduce you to a man than can and will break anything....no matter how many time you tell him NOT to help.
After my bass player accidentally wheeled a 10 space rack off a 3 foot stage, which contained my x32 rack and 2 itech amps.....I issued a NOBODY TOUCH ANYTHING EVER AGAIN.   So yes, my problem is not as much the speaker as it is the level of stupidity that people can display when its not their equipment.

That being said....I still try and make my gear as damage proof as possible.  I used to put my tops in hard cases but I no longer have the damag to transport.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »

Always use covers...but if you think a padded cover can keep my drummer from bumping the speaker into a door and knocking a knob off....then let me introduce you to a man than can and will break anything....no matter how many time you tell him NOT to help.
After my bass player accidentally wheeled a 10 space rack off a 3 foot stage, which contained my x32 rack and 2 itech amps.....I issued a NOBODY TOUCH ANYTHING EVER AGAIN.   So yes, my problem is not as much the speaker as it is the level of stupidity that people can display when its not their equipment.

That being said....I still try and make my gear as damage proof as possible.  I used to put my tops in hard cases but I no longer have the damag to transport.

We have a similar problem at the PAC I work at as a stage hand.  Some hands look at everything like it's a Source 4 - nearly indestructible - and the solution to a cable or wire that gets hung up on a riser is to pull much, much harder...

The reality is that a majority of customers are not willing to pay for "butching up" the control packaging because a minority of users work with ham-fisted volunteers, band members or stagehands, so JBL doesn't do it.

J.R. can tell us about his years in the MI trenches as a product manager, and how consumers say they want something but don't want to spend the extra $$ it takes to provide the feature.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »

Most damage I have experienced is caused by overloading the hand truck or trying to carry too much resulting in dropped equipment.  The extra few minutes it takes to make an extra trip is preferable to the potential for thousands of dollars in damage.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 01:42:07 PM »

Start handing the repair bill to the numskulls and see how quickly that changes.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 02:37:27 PM »

I will admit though that the amp panels  don't appear very robust - especially the little LCD screens. Also, I have already had 2 of the knobs come loose and go missing. I had to order one from JBL to replace them so I ordered 4 to make it worthwhile. This was one of the used SRX812's though so I didn't have them from new. They are mint condition and have obviously been looked after so not sure why the knobs came loose. The SRX815's and the SRX828 have been fine. It was a first for me.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jay Marr

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 03:39:07 PM »

Start handing the repair bill to the numskulls and see how quickly that changes.

Oh I am with you....but these guys live paycheck to paycheck and literally can't afford a repair bill.  I've had to garnish wages in the past and I just feel awful doing it.

I have stopped providing band xlr cables for the reasons mentioned above.  My drummer would ruin one xlr a month.  Now that he owns them.and doesn't have me yelling at him to treat the cables properly, he ruins 2 a month.  People are sometimes their own worst enemy.

The joys of running a band....

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 05:49:50 PM »

Oh I am with you....but these guys live paycheck to paycheck and literally can't afford a repair bill.  I've had to garnish wages in the past and I just feel awful doing it.

I have stopped providing band xlr cables for the reasons mentioned above.  My drummer would ruin one xlr a month.  Now that he owns them.and doesn't have me yelling at him to treat the cables properly, he ruins 2 a month.  People are sometimes their own worst enemy.

The joys of running a band....

While they probably aren't really employees, as a supervisor I'd be remiss if I didn't say that garnishing wages is illegal.  Employee's must be paid the wages they are owed.  If they also owe the employer damages, that must be collected separately.  Through the courts if necessary.

I don't think that's what's going on in your post but felt the need to say it regardless...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 06:13:02 PM »

While they probably aren't really employees, as a supervisor I'd be remiss if I didn't say that garnishing wages is illegal.  Employee's must be paid the wages they are owed.  If they also owe the employer damages, that must be collected separately.  Through the courts if necessary.

I don't think that's what's going on in your post but felt the need to say it regardless...
Without knowing all of the details of the situation Jay referred to, if it was a case where he had to present the claim to, say, a small claims court, and they approved a wage garnishment repayment schedule, then he'd be covered.

But to just say, "Oh, I am going to take money from your paycheck to replace the thing(s) you broke" - I'd agree that if it's not illegal, it's at least unethical.

On the other hand, if faced with the choice of replacing the item you carelessly broke, or losing your job, I bet a lot of people would find the money to replace the item. (I am not recommending this as a course of action, but as a preferable alternative to wage garnishment.)

If I break something of my employer's due to my carelessness, I would offer to replace it. That's the ethical thing to do.

As an employer, I do budget for things breaking in my repairs & maintenance schedule.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jay Marr

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 10:20:17 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garnishing wages is probably not the right term....but when my drummer decided to borrow my mics and leave them at another gig, never to be seen again....you can bet your ass he had to pay for them.  And his way to pay was to pay me for them $20 at a time at the end of every gig.  Nobody's money is 'taken' from them.  And even though he borrowed and lost my equipment, I still felt bad that he had to pay me back for them.

My band is not an employee/employer situation.  We are all paid equal at every gig.  I take our pay and split it 4 ways....no matter what the gig, and no matter what we get paid.  I purchased and maintain the 3 PA's the band uses, I store, transport and maintain all the gear.  I run sound every gig.  I get zero in return other than damaged equipment.  You can trust me here....they make out damn good!
Running a band is just the best....
/rant

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 10:20:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.