ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Amplifier current draw (real world vs paper/lab)  (Read 8267 times)

Max Hall

Re: Amplifier current draw (real world vs paper/lab)
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2016, 09:54:58 PM »

It always amazes me how much, the type of sound output can change power consumption!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2016, 10:15:19 PM »

It always amazes me how much, the type of sound output can change power consumption!
Yeah, it's almost like there's a rule or equation or something that correlates audio level increases with power consumption increases... weird.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 01:16:10 AM »

Yeah, it's almost like there's a rule or equation or something that correlates audio level increases with power consumption increases... weird.

Yeah, some Really Dead Guy (or several) that got a "law" named after him.

Hmmm.  And there are other Really Dead Guys with stuff named after them, too.

Don't forget that "conservation of energy" thing.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 01:50:13 AM »

I'm announcing "Tim's Law."

"To Expand A Sound Company To The Next Level, The Amount Of Expenditure Required Is Equal To All Sums Spent Previous To Date."
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 08:11:28 AM »

I remember a Relay For Life gig several years ago when we had only a single 20 amp outlet. (Usually we had 2 at this venue.) I used an analog amp meter. I was running about 13 amps most of the time until the female singer hit a big long note. It stayed a little over 20 amps for a couple seconds. That's when I started adjusting faders by watching the amp meter instead of indicators on the board or my ears. We made it through the night without a breaker trip.
Tell me more about the amp meter that you used.....

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 12:33:37 PM »

Tell me more about the amp meter that you used.....
I would assume it was a clamp on analog meter.  Pretty standard
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 06:43:24 PM »

I'm more interested in how he could see an amp meter from the mix position.  I suppose you could put a phone on Facetime backstage where things are plugged in and watch it from FOH.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 08:33:27 PM »

I'm more interested in how he could see an amp meter from the mix position.  I suppose you could put a phone on Facetime backstage where things are plugged in and watch it from FOH.

100 foot power cord from the outlet to the mix position, 3 outlet adapter with the hot wire separated from the others for the clamp on amp meter, taped to the top of the mixing desk. Power distributed to elsewhere from there.

Also, FOH was really more like just off to the side of the "stage". (Not much of a stage at that either.)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 08:40:02 PM »

100 foot power cord from the outlet to the mix position, 3 outlet adapter with the hot wire separated from the others for the clamp on amp meter, taped to the top of the mixing desk. Power distributed to elsewhere from there.

Also, FOH was really more like just off to the side of the "stage". (Not much of a stage at that either.)
Not exactly code---------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 09:03:14 PM »

This pic is from 2005. Not sure if that was the year we had only the 1 outlet. The setup was about the same most years. Same trailer for a stage. We could pull power from the ticket booth and the building behind the fence, except that year the booth tripped a breaker when someone plugged in a bouncy house and we didn't have a maintenance person available to restore power. (The bouncy house was not pre-approved)

Also, back then (at least for me) facetime was not really an option. By a "few" years ago, I really mean 10 to 15 years ago.

Yes, I know the adapter was not exactly code. I built it so I could easily measure plugged in current without opening a breaker box. That night I kept it in line for the event. Now there are more affordable means to do the same thing. (Although sometimes I'll still use this one to tell someone how much current that string of Edison lights is really pulling.)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 09:03:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.