ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what is use mic calibrator?  (Read 4657 times)

changmin lee

• changmin lee
what is use mic calibrator?
« on: August 08, 2016, 12:56:48 AM »

hello, my friends~

i use smaart and systune.

and i need spl level meter.

but, my program dose not calibrate.

so, i need mic calibrate.

what is better to use the most?

plz, recommand~

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: what is use mic calibrator?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 07:31:36 AM »

The only reason you need a calibrator is for true SPL measurements.

If you don't need to read SPL, then a calibrator will not do you any good.

It also depends on how accurate it needs to be.

You could use another meter-put your Smaart mic next to it and calibrate the Smaart system to the other SPL meter.

If the other meter is close, then it might be good enough.

It all depends on what you are wanting to do with the SPL
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 09:42:09 AM »

hello, my friends~

plz, recommand~

Hi, I use a Reed SC-05.  I think the calibrators that are all over ebay are just fine too.
I really like using a calibrator for multiple mic measurements, especially if the mics aren't the same.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 10:46:26 AM »

Hi, I use a Reed SC-05.  I think the calibrators that are all over ebay are just fine too.
I really like using a calibrator for multiple mic measurements, especially if the mics aren't the same.

Why? Are you doing multi mic precision SPL measurements?  You can easily get all your mics close enough to the same SPL by putting them close together and measuring pink noise. This will also give you an idea of how their frequency response matches, which a mic calibrator will not.

A mic calibrator creates a known SPL by mechanically moving a piston in a known sealed volume at a single frequency. It can be an important thing to do if you need to do SPL measurements that have to meet a standard, it is not needed for measurements of frequency response or impulse response.

Mac

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 01:39:15 PM »

Why? Are you doing multi mic precision SPL measurements?  You can easily get all your mics close enough to the same SPL by putting them close together and measuring pink noise. This will also give you an idea of how their frequency response matches, which a mic calibrator will not.

A mic calibrator creates a known SPL by mechanically moving a piston in a known sealed volume at a single frequency. It can be an important thing to do if you need to do SPL measurements that have to meet a standard, it is not needed for measurements of frequency response or impulse response.

Mac

Hi Mac,

for pure convenience more than anything.  I've found it to be a quicker setup routine than putting mics together.. 
I just run a transfer, one mic vs another, when I want to see freq response variation.

And yes, I do try to make pretty precise off-axis measurement, vs simultaneous on-axis measurement.
Got an outdoor test setup that has multiple mic holders staggered on a swinging boom.....

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 09:10:52 PM »

That is EXACTLY what I do when doing multi mic measurements and for exactly the same reason.

You can see level and response.

Yes the mics are a couple of inches apart, so except for the extreme top end, you will get the information you need.

I don't care (at this point in the process) what the actual response of the cabinet is, and whether or not they are on of off axis.

I am just looking for the DIFFERENCE in what the mics are showing.  As long as they all look the same and have the same level  I am good.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 02:30:30 PM »

That is EXACTLY what I do when doing multi mic measurements and for exactly the same reason.

You can see level and response.

Yes the mics are a couple of inches apart, so except for the extreme top end, you will get the information you need.

I don't care (at this point in the process) what the actual response of the cabinet is, and whether or not they are on of off axis.

I am just looking for the DIFFERENCE in what the mics are showing.  As long as they all look the same and have the same level  I am good.

Hi Ivan,

Sure, that all makes sense.

And I guess as you often say, depending....... on what I'm measuring,  I sometimes like SPL to be as accurate as possible.

When working with known mics already set up in smaart, I really can't see why I wouldn't set I/O device levels with a calibrator...it's at least as quick for me as laying mics out, it makes zero audible noise, and I've got some confirmation.

This thread did help solve one nagging problem I couldn't figure out in smaart.....
Why the broadband meters would all read the same SPL, but at the same time smaart traces would show slightly different levels.

Today I learned that maximum full-scale amplitude has to be the same to get traces the same....
......lot's to learn :)

BTY, how do you guys set up a new mic in smaart? (non-smaart I/O)   Thx

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 02:59:44 PM »

BTY, how do you guys set up a new mic in smaart? (non-smaart I/O)   Thx
Go to the measurement configuration and select "new measurement".

That is for V7.    For V5 you just select the input source.

I don't know about V8

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Al Rettich

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 08:30:11 AM »

I own a Acoustic Calibrator PC-SC 42

It works well. I use it everyday always to be correct. Yes, the computer should hold the memory, but I never trust anything. Always check everything.

hello, my friends~

plz, recommand~
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 09:02:08 AM by Mac Kerr »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 08:30:11 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.