ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone tried the Shure KSM 8?  (Read 14322 times)

Peter Morris

Re: Anyone tried the Shure KSM 8?
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 11:22:40 AM »

Thanks Peter - good info. In the You Tube comparison you link to, it is difficult for me to tell the difference between the mics he is using - they sound pretty close to me.

If you have not already, try with some really good headphones, the difference was quite noticeable to me even on the YouTube clip  :)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 12:36:23 PM »

If you have not already, try with some really good headphones, the difference was quite noticeable to me even on the YouTube clip  :)

I used my Sony MDR 7506's which are quite transparent but still not much different. I can hear a little more presence with the KSM 8. Maybe that is all there is and I am looking for too much in this particular video.  In the real world , much more comes into play than one vocal and guitar simply going from one mic to the other of course.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using the KSM 8?...I'm intrigued as to how it compares to single diaphragm mics of around the same price point.

I still have a few AKG D3600 which are dual diaphragm instrument mics sold in the 1990s.
They were great for acoustic guitars because of the lack of proximity effect. You could position them very close to the sound hole. I also have used them on horns. These mics required quite a bit more preamp gain as compared to a SM57.
They were quite expensive when they were new on the market. I believe list price was over $500.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 01:20:07 PM »

If I remember correctly, the AKG dual diaphragm mic's were more of a "woofer" and "tweeter" in reverse and actually had a cross-over.

I found the off axis rejection of the KSM 8 gave it a really tight pattern.  I don't have one yet, but I bet it would be a really good vocal mic for the (dreaded) drummer who sings!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 01:53:50 PM »

I used my Sony MDR 7506's which are quite transparent but still not much different. I can hear a little more presence with the KSM 8. Maybe that is all there is and I am looking for too much in this particular video.  In the real world , much more comes into play than one vocal and guitar simply going from one mic to the other of course.
One person's "huge difference" is another's "barely hear it".  The further up the curve you go, the more incremental the improvements and the harder they are to come by.  At some point, any minor improvement seems huge in comparison.

Similarly, while they are industry standards, I don't think much of 7506's as regards to sound quality.  Sometimes something becomes a reference (as in Yamaha NS10s in studios) even though it's far from the best sound.  A couple of years ago my stepdaughter was dating a guy who was in audio school studying to be a boom operator.  So he had a pair of 7506s of his own.  I hooked up a pair of similarly priced Grado SR80's and with the audio from a phone he was stunned at the difference in transparency and accuracy compared to what he was told was a reference.  I have the 7506s, the Grados and a pair of AKG K240s in my home studio.  I take the Sony's out on live sound gigs mostly for their isolation.  But I use the others to reference a mix in the studio.

Peter Morris

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 09:44:53 PM »

Yes in the “real world” things are different; you have fold-back and a bunch instruments on stage spilling into your mic.

On vocals (in the real world) compared to a B58 I find the sound smooth, warm and full … more natural.  In most applications I prefer this however there are some applications where the cut of the B58 is better.

Musicians that have some hearing loss, who like a hard cutting sound will prefer the B58.

Tommy Shannon

• Marketplace
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 10:34:34 AM »

Yes in the “real world” things are different; you have fold-back and a bunch instruments on stage spilling into your mic.

On vocals (in the real world) compared to a B58 I find the sound smooth, warm and full … more natural.  In most applications I prefer this however there are some applications where the cut of the B58 is better.

Musicians that have some hearing loss, who like a hard cutting sound will prefer the B58.

Is there any noticeable difference in floor wedge feedback stability with the KSM 8?

peter plympton

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »

Great sounding mic, the handling is ok as long as you instruct the singers to be very careful putting the mic in and out of the clip..
Almost a deal breaker for us.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 04:51:51 PM »

Great sounding mic, the handling is ok as long as you instruct the singers to be very careful putting the mic in and out of the clip..
Almost a deal breaker for us.

As in the clip can break, or the action creates a bunch of noise?

I worry since I'm the one who sold it to you. ;)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

peter plympton

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 06:32:24 PM »

Hello Ray
   The mic is overly sensitive to the impact of putting it in and out of the clip.
Other then that, A excellent mic.
Thanks
pete
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:35:14 PM by peter plympton »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 06:32:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.