ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 2.16/2.14 FW freeze/crash  (Read 6670 times)

Mike Sullivan

X32 2.16/2.14 FW freeze/crash
« on: August 06, 2016, 07:31:02 PM »

(If you come into this post to bash the X/M series of consoles, just don't bother with the drama)

We upgraded both of our X32's with the latest firmware 2.16, with X32 #1 coming from 2.08 and X32 #2 (newer one, sold to us used from a friend) coming from a 1.xx firmware.  Both of our consoles have experienced crashes where the effects busses go straight to clip and quit passing audio, but once you turn the fader down the input comes back down and returns to normal, but more commonly the entire board will freeze and entirely quit passing audio, and most of the meters will go straight to clip.  It has done this on 2.16 and 2.14, so I'm not sure if it's the board or a FW issue, but both X32's have done it.  I will be downgrading this one to 2.08 to be safe, as that is the last stable firmware we had on console #1.  Anyone else having any issues with the latest firmware?  (I have posted to the Music Group forum as well)
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: X32 2.16/2.14 FW freeze/crash
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 07:58:08 PM »

No issues here with an X32C and X32R. Been on 2.16 since it was released. The X32C rarely gets used. The X32R is used daily.

Derrick Bordelon

• Baton Rouge, Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 08:28:42 PM »

X32 full here ran on both firmware version with zero problems. Run 4 nights a week. Are they set up master/slave? Maybe a conflict there?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 08:36:15 PM »

(If you come into this post to bash the X/M series of consoles, just don't bother with the drama)

We upgraded both of our X32's with the latest firmware 2.16, with X32 #1 coming from 2.08 and X32 #2 (newer one, sold to us used from a friend) coming from a 1.xx firmware.  Both of our consoles have experienced crashes where the effects busses go straight to clip and quit passing audio, but once you turn the fader down the input comes back down and returns to normal, but more commonly the entire board will freeze and entirely quit passing audio, and most of the meters will go straight to clip.  It has done this on 2.16 and 2.14, so I'm not sure if it's the board or a FW issue, but both X32's have done it.  I will be downgrading this one to 2.08 to be safe, as that is the last stable firmware we had on console #1.  Anyone else having any issues with the latest firmware?  (I have posted to the Music Group forum as well)

That sounds like you have effects returns sending back to themselves.  Check your returns channels and make double-sure that you don't have Send 13 up on FX Ret 1, etc.

I think some hinkiness can be done with inserts, too... but I've not tried that yet.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 10:26:21 PM »

That sounds like you have effects returns sending back to themselves.  Check your returns channels and make double-sure that you don't have Send 13 up on FX Ret 1, etc.

I think some hinkiness can be done with inserts, too... but I've not tried that yet.

+1

-sounds like the fatal feedback loop...

-Tim T

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 02:42:54 AM »

None of the FX were sent back on themselves, everything was from a clean slate.  I can use the effects as normal then that particular bus will do it.  But that doesn't explain why the entire console is freezing up and quits passing audio..

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 03:36:29 AM »

Same here 8 in daily service 5 racks on the road used 2 to 3 times a week and a compact. Never seen this happen. 

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 05:05:41 AM »

Is anything else connected?

To eliminate any external equipment causing this, make sure that nothing else is physically connected to your console other than a headphone and the power cord. Remove computer, midi, s16 or anything else that might cause interference...

Has this happened on one or several locations? If you have access to an online ups use that to eliminate bad power. Switching ups'es and those furman racks are not going to help for many power related issues if you use those.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 10:00:03 AM »

None of the FX were sent back on themselves, everything was from a clean slate.  I can use the effects as normal then that particular bus will do it.  But that doesn't explain why the entire console is freezing up and quits passing audio..

If you updated firmware and loaded a previous show file any anomaly would be present.

Between 2 units (1 of which presumably did not do this prior to your purchase of it) I would not expect identical failures considering the production date differences.

Have you done a complete factory reset?  Installing firmware no longer resets the mixer or clears memory or storage.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 09:25:05 PM »

Is anything else connected?

To eliminate any external equipment causing this, make sure that nothing else is physically connected to your console other than a headphone and the power cord. Remove computer, midi, s16 or anything else that might cause interference...

Has this happened on one or several locations? If you have access to an online ups use that to eliminate bad power. Switching ups'es and those furman racks are not going to help for many power related issues if you use those.

It happened with just the stage box connected, and happened also with an analog snake only.  That would not explain why it happens with the effects engines...

Has happened at two locations thus far, both on clean metered powered.  First time was analog snake, second time was digital snake (DL32)

If you updated firmware and loaded a previous show file any anomaly would be present.

Between 2 units (1 of which presumably did not do this prior to your purchase of it) I would not expect identical failures considering the production date differences.

Have you done a complete factory reset?  Installing firmware no longer resets the mixer or clears memory or storage.

Both shows were done from fresh initilization of the console.  I wouldn't expect it either, but the only common change in both is the updated firmware for both.  And both of them crashed at one point or another this weekend, at two different locations.  I downgraded to 2.08 between the opener and the headliner, and there wasn't a single issue during the headliner's set.  Maybe I got lucky, but I will probably get it back out tomorrow evening after work and run through some music from a couple multitrack recordings I have and see if I can get it to do it again.  Otherwise I'm notching it up to a glitch in the newest firmwares (2.14 and 2.16) and just going to play it safe.

The first console we owned has been on 2.08 for a while and never had an issue, until we upgraded it to 2.16. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 11:26:35 PM »

The X32 I used Saturday is on 2.14. Generator power, wireless FOH mixing from the monitor mixer.  No problems.  Wish I had more help, Mike.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 12:08:12 AM »

It happened with just the stage box connected, and happened also with an analog snake only.  That would not explain why it happens with the effects engines...

Has happened at two locations thus far, both on clean metered powered.  First time was analog snake, second time was digital snake (DL32)

Both shows were done from fresh initilization of the console.  I wouldn't expect it either, but the only common change in both is the updated firmware for both.  And both of them crashed at one point or another this weekend, at two different locations.  I downgraded to 2.08 between the opener and the headliner, and there wasn't a single issue during the headliner's set.  Maybe I got lucky, but I will probably get it back out tomorrow evening after work and run through some music from a couple multitrack recordings I have and see if I can get it to do it again.  Otherwise I'm notching it up to a glitch in the newest firmwares (2.14 and 2.16) and just going to play it safe.

The first console we owned has been on 2.08 for a while and never had an issue, until we upgraded it to 2.16.

As I said in the X32 forum, Please post your scene here so we can take a look at it. I have some suspicions but it would be much better to look at the scene then just guess. I have been using an M32 with version 2.14 only because I don’t upgrade just before a show and that has been the only time I have had access to the M32. I have updated a churches X32 to 2.16 and their S16 to 2.2 without any problems. But I did discover an effects behavior just today that surprised me. And if and when I see the scene I will hopefully be able to tell if there is an issue.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 09:46:55 AM »

@Kevin

Can you share with me your suspicion in a PM. I'm in the middle of testing stuff on the x32 and want to see if your suspicion is correct...

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 06:24:48 PM »

I ran into an interesting scenario on an X32 rack over the weekend that may or may not be related.  Using an iPad to control the X32, and during setup, one of the inputs went into hard feedback.  When that happened, the iPad lost connection, and refused to connect.  Shut off the mic and the X32 seems to be behaving normally, however, it would simply not allow any iPad to connect (I had 2 iPads with me). It did respond to controls on the front of the rack, so not a complete lock.

The only way to get it to respond was to reboot the X32 rack.  I was able to repeat the problem. (ok, I was an idiot and turned the mic back on and got feedback again, but let's pretend I was testing to see if i could repeat the problem)

Brian Jojade

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 04:42:42 PM »

I ran into an interesting scenario on an X32 rack over the weekend that may or may not be related.  Using an iPad to control the X32, and during setup, one of the inputs went into hard feedback.  When that happened, the iPad lost connection, and refused to connect.  Shut off the mic and the X32 seems to be behaving normally, however, it would simply not allow any iPad to connect (I had 2 iPads with me). It did respond to controls on the front of the rack, so not a complete lock.

The only way to get it to respond was to reboot the X32 rack.  I was able to repeat the problem. (ok, I was an idiot and turned the mic back on and got feedback again, but let's pretend I was testing to see if i could repeat the problem)

That's pretty scary. What firmware version did this happen on?

-Russ

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »

Brian that sounds similar to what I had but on effects, and it didnt take off (feed back)...

To others, I will upload show files this evening, and I will be doing home testing.  I'm going back to 2.16 and running a iPod into all of the  effects processors, and letting it loop for a couple of hours… If it crashes, I will downgrade to earlier firmware and see when it stops

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »

Ahhhh... The dreaded perpetual effects loop. That would do it to any console in a heartbeat.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 08:33:04 PM »

That's pretty scary. What firmware version did this happen on?

-Russ

The unit was on the latest firmware, 2.16.

Now, it could be a power issue, as the sudden feedback could have caused a voltage drop of some sort, but it is very strange that the only problem was iPad connectivity quit. - I don't know about connection from a computer, as I didn't have one with me.
Brian Jojade

John L Nobile

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 08:40:36 PM »

Do you have the X32 on a UPS? IMHO all critical computerized equipment should be on one and a reliable one. Don't cheap out on one of those 350 VA and units. They're just another failure point.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 05:27:39 PM »

Brian that sounds similar to what I had but on effects, and it didnt take off (feed back)...

To others, I will upload show files this evening, and I will be doing home testing.  I'm going back to 2.16 and running a iPod into all of the  effects processors, and letting it loop for a couple of hours… If it crashes, I will downgrade to earlier firmware and see when it stops

Any update and any chance that you could upload your scene to here or on the X32 forum?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 05:27:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.