ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid-range driver impedance  (Read 2648 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Mid-range driver impedance
« on: August 01, 2016, 12:45:35 PM »

Ran an outdoor festival this weekend (small stage), and was using our EAW FR153z cabinets on a PL340 and a VENU360 drive rack (auto-limit on).

We had 6 stage changes; the 5th band popped one of our mid-range drivers when the guitar player decided to unplug/re-plug his DI in the middle of a song. Heard a loud pop, and then lost majority of vocal presence. Lead singer commented, "I think we just blew the sound guy's speaker. Sorry about that."

Ugh.

I know these are old speakers, but we really like them for small gigs/venues, and I'd like to keep them in inventory. I have found some potential replacement drivers - the Beyma 6M100i looks like a winner - tons of power handling capability. Problem: it's 8-ohms. The original EAW drivers are 16-ohms.

What's the danger/downside of using the Beyma (or Audax PM170)? Damage to the speaker? Damage to the crossover? Poor sound/response?

Thanks in advance for any info/assistance.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Mid-range driver impedance
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »

Ran an outdoor festival this weekend (small stage), and was using our EAW FR153z cabinets on a PL340 and a VENU360 drive rack (auto-limit on).

We had 6 stage changes; the 5th band popped one of our mid-range drivers when the guitar player decided to unplug/re-plug his DI in the middle of a song. Heard a loud pop, and then lost majority of vocal presence. Lead singer commented, "I think we just blew the sound guy's speaker. Sorry about that."

Ugh.

I know these are old speakers, but we really like them for small gigs/venues, and I'd like to keep them in inventory. I have found some potential replacement drivers - the Beyma 6M100i looks like a winner - tons of power handling capability. Problem: it's 8-ohms. The original EAW drivers are 16-ohms.

What's the danger/downside of using the Beyma (or Audax PM170)? Damage to the speaker? Damage to the crossover? Poor sound/response?

Thanks in advance for any info/assistance.

There is much more at play than simple impedance and power capacity.

The tonal could be completely different and even though it handles more power, it could actually produce LESS output.

You best bet is to get the driver it orignally used or get yours reconed.

This is not saying that there is not a replacement driver-but you need to look a lot closer at the specs.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 01:06:42 PM »

You best bet is to get the driver it orignally used or get yours reconed.

This is not saying that there is not a replacement driver-but you need to look a lot closer at the specs.

Thanks, Ivan! I've been scouring the web all morning, and can't seem to find a replacement. B&C supposedly created the LC-0652 as a replacement, but it's also an 8-ohm driver, and I can't seem to find detailed specs on it...

I think I may have to break these down and sell the working drivers for parts... ugh, ugh, ugh. :)

Last ditch attempt... (let's call it EE for dummies) - is there any one or two elements that are more critical to match when replacing the driver? Qts Qes Vas Resonant Frequency etc?

Thank you again.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 08:39:07 AM »

Thanks, Ivan! I've been scouring the web all morning, and can't seem to find a replacement. B&C supposedly created the LC-0652 as a replacement, but it's also an 8-ohm driver, and I can't seem to find detailed specs on it...

I think I may have to break these down and sell the working drivers for parts... ugh, ugh, ugh. :)

Last ditch attempt... (let's call it EE for dummies) - is there any one or two elements that are more critical to match when replacing the driver? Qts Qes Vas Resonant Frequency etc?

Thank you again.

Long before you get to "last ditch", call EAW and ask them about replacements or recone kits.
Just because something's not googleable, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
(NB - not saying here definitely is a replcement or recone kit - I think these are discontinued models after all, but EAW should definitely know best.)

HTH,
David.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »

Thank you again.
I would start with freq response, sensitivity (depending on how it is measured) and impedance.  Preferably the individual curve-NOT just a single number.  But getting that is generally not easy.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 01:06:56 PM »

I would start with freq response, sensitivity (depending on how it is measured) and impedance.  Preferably the individual curve-NOT just a single number.  But getting that is generally not easy.

Noted, and thanks!

I reached-out to EAW per David's suggestion, and as luck would have it, they are expecting a shipment of replacement drivers in September, so I just placed an order for a bunch of them. Score!!

Thanks again to everyone for the help and suggestions.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 01:06:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.