ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Small powered sub ideas?  (Read 9477 times)

Andrew Zannetos

Re: Small powered sub ideas?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 10:47:01 PM »

Does the KW153 lose its LFE quickly? Spec wise it, standalone, reaches lower than the KW181, which makes absolutely no sense.

No matter, the QSC KW181 is a fine sub, however, it isn't the world's cleanest sounding sub, nor does it get very deep by any means. If you're looking for some extra extension, I'd look elsewhere.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 06:28:35 AM »

The QSC KW181 is the sub you want. Compact, matches your existing tops, integrates well with them acoustically.

Kim Guibord

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 11:07:40 PM »

Exactly! If I wanted small I wouldn't use a 153. I just did a show in small tent with 2x181's under 153/side. I found it still left the 153 too low to stay coherent inside the tent at different locations.
Evidently you Guys use 6"x9" car speakers, if the 153's are to big for you ... maybe you should hit the Gym a bit more.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 08:57:52 AM »

Evidently you Guys use 6"x9" car speakers, if the 153's are to big for you ... maybe you should hit the Gym a bit more.

I think for a lot of guys it's less about the weight and more about how to fit them into an SUV or a trailer that's already loaded with  other gear.

John Chiara

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 11:24:09 AM »

It's the same are the Mackie 1531's...too big for one person to get up on a pole. I can easily lift that amount of weight over my head but the logistics of setting it down in a pole mount is not something I want to do.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 02:13:18 PM »

There is also lifting onto a high pole.  I've taken to using my Ultimate Support stands instead of distance poles on the subs since it's easier to put the speaker on the pole and then push the whole thing up into the air.  I need to get the clutched distance poles.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 07:41:22 AM »

I can easily lift that amount of weight over my head but the logistics of setting it down in a pole mount is not something I want to do.

Do it horizontally on the floor then lift into position.

Steve.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2016, 02:56:32 PM »

QSC KW181. Alternatively the JBL SRX818p.

John Chiara

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »

Do it horizontally on the floor then lift into position.

Steve.

That can work but with one person and a taller stand that process has slipped from my control at least once. They are now residing in my studio as high volume playback fur bands recording in the control room. Loud drums behind the players seems to make them more comfortable!

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 08:18:31 AM »

I am looking for a small powered 18" sub for a small rig that I am building.. tops are QSC KW153 ... I have used Yorkville Ls801p in the past, very loud sub, but kinda boomy .. someone had told me about a Yahama dsx18 .. any comments on this box or other ideas .. this is just for a small club rig.. looking for something decent .. does not have to be huge, As I already have those.

Just a few things about the Yorkville LS801p. I have the LS801pb's and measured them outside. The have a flat response if the shape is set on "Loud". If on set on "Deep" they have quite a boost around 53 hz or so. Some may call this boomy. Also the built in high cut seems to be staggered pole as it has a gradual drop then a steeper one. Even on 90hz it has quite a bit of 150 hz output. In the pictures.

1. Crossover settings on the back during measurements.
2. Response with sub set to loud
3. Response with sub set to deep
4. Response with a 5.5 db cut at 53 hz with a parametric eq set with a Q of 6.3
5. Eq used to get a 6db down point of 38hz. (sounds very good)

Over all the Yorkville is a high output sub that sounds good if used correctly. I find the gradual high freq roll off may be the boomy sound some talk about. Use a high cut filter on your board to take some of this out. I do ;-)

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 08:18:31 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.