ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Monoprice Zoom Wash  (Read 8380 times)

Andrew Sharratt

Monoprice Zoom Wash
« on: July 29, 2016, 10:07:08 PM »

Hi all

Anybody got experience of the Monoprice Zoom Wash

I have been using some Chauvet zoom 350 fixtures and am fairly happy with those but the monoprice should be brighter and are quite a bit cheaper. I have a few monoprice PAR fixtures and hence understand the quality level. Not too worried about that, as LED technology is moving so fast that it's not worth investing for the long term. I can afford to carry a spare with such price differences.

Using them to pick out musicians. Often with a fixture lighting each side of the target. Truss mounted 45deg up and 30deg to each side. Distance from fixture to target around 30'.

Anybody tried one?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 07:52:57 PM by Craig Leerman »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Monoprice Zoom Wash
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 09:12:39 AM »

Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 10:37:50 AM »

Hi all

Anybody got experience of the Monoprice Zoom Wash

I have been using some Chauvet zoom 350 fixtures and am fairly happy with those but the monoprice should be brighter and are quite a bit cheaper. I have a few monoprice PAR fixtures and hence understand the quality level. Not too worried about that, as LED technology is moving so fast that it's not worth investing for the long term. I can afford to carry a spare with such price differences.

Using them to pick out musicians. Often with a fixture lighting each side of the target. Truss mounted 45deg up and 30deg to each side. Distance from fixture to target around 30'.

Anybody tried one?

Reviews seem to be favorable and they look good here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUMPCqsebEM

As you said, you really can't go wrong at this price point. Buy an extra for a spare and get 2-3 years of use out of them. As you also said, these are fairly disposable items these days, not going to keep them for 10+ years anyway.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »

That sure is cheap for a 10 w x 36 LED zoom moving wash light. Half the price of the Rush MH2's I got over 2 years ago that don't zoom and only have 7 x 10w LED's.

Andrew Sharratt

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 09:33:04 PM »

Ok, so I pulled the trigger on a couple of these. Here's my first impressions. One unit had a spare screw inside that needed removing before powering up! That was easy but reflects the quality and price. I am sure that Monoprice would have swapped it out if I had requested that. Brightness and color mixing is good. No flicker on camera. The beam is fairly diffused. I would not choose these if I wanted something really tight. As a wash, however, they are working well. I don't have a lot of other fixtures in house to compare them with other than the Chauvet Intimator 350 zoom. The monoprice are much brighter but are less suitable for tighter zoom applications. The fan is noisy compared to the Chauvet but you can control the cut off temperature of the fan on the monoprice which is a nice feature. Based on my tests so far, I would buy again for wash applications. By the time they fail, there will be something even better and cheaper!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Graham Spice

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 12:00:13 PM »

Ok, so I pulled the trigger on a couple of these. Here's my first impressions. One unit had a spare screw inside that needed removing before powering up! That was easy but reflects the quality and price. I am sure that Monoprice would have swapped it out if I had requested that. Brightness and color mixing is good. No flicker on camera. The beam is fairly diffused. I would not choose these if I wanted something really tight. As a wash, however, they are working well. I don't have a lot of other fixtures in house to compare them with other than the Chauvet Intimator 350 zoom. The monoprice are much brighter but are less suitable for tighter zoom applications. The fan is noisy compared to the Chauvet but you can control the cut off temperature of the fan on the monoprice which is a nice feature. Based on my tests so far, I would buy again for wash applications. By the time they fail, there will be something even better and cheaper!
I think that you said you had some monoprice LED PARs. Which ones do you have? I have a few of the Stage Wash 18 Watt x 18 LED PAR Stage Light (RGBWA-UV) and they are really bright. I'm wondering how the zoom wash would compare to the non-moving PARs. I the idea of moving wash lights but don't want to make the light show too complicated to run!

What do you use for front/keylight?

Pat McGuire

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 06:23:12 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got one of these off ebay.  At power up, it says reseting, their spelling not mine.  It jumps and vibrates like its trying to move but is confused.  Then at about 3/4 of reseting progress bar, the red "err" comes on, then proceeds to normal menu.. This is without dmx plugged in.  Any ideas?  Bad unit?  Otherwise works fine at least during test mode.  Have not tried dmx yet.   Help! Please!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 06:49:46 PM by Pat McGuire »

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 02:28:02 PM »

Just got one of these off ebay.  At power up, it says reseting, their spelling not mine.  It jumps and vibrates like its trying to move but is confused.  Then at about 3/4 of reseting progress bar, the red "err" comes on, then proceeds to normal menu.. This is without dmx plugged in.  Any ideas?  Bad unit?  Otherwise works fine at least during test mode.  Have not tried dmx yet.   Help! Please!

Does it run any of the auto programs built in?
Regardless, I'd send it back for a replacement if that error message keeps coming up.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Graham Spice

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 12:34:46 PM »

Are you still using these Monoprice Zoom Wash fixtures, Andrew? I purchased two and returned them for a refund after a bit of testing. Some of the LEDs were out on one of them upon arrival and I didn't love the colors. I thought they were a bit heavy and expensive for what they provided so I returned them.

I'm wondering if you're still using these after a year and how they are working for you. I am on the hunt for other solutions right now.

Anybody got experience of the Monoprice Zoom

Andrew Sharratt

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »

I am still using them but they are not without issues. 1 of 8 failed (no light) and 3 developed noisy fans. Not up to the standard of other Monoprice fixtures but at least the warranty is good. I would be very interested if you find a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 24 queries.