ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: IEMs: em 300 IEM vs PSM900 vs ...  (Read 9253 times)

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
IEMs: em 300 IEM vs PSM900 vs ...
« on: July 27, 2016, 06:18:07 PM »

I work for a christian university where our student musicians are pushing hard for wireless IEM's right now. For wireless mic's we are currently using Lectro but I'd buy ULX-D if I could repurchase today. Luckily we are out in the country with only 10 UHF and 1 VHF channels within 40 miles, several of which are low power.

I'm torn between the ew300 IEM and PSM900. What I'd really like to find is a reverse ULX-D. PSM1000 and Sennheiser 2000 series are out of our price range. Is there anything "coming" I should keep my eyes out for or anything else I should consider?

I haven't yet really looked at frequency bands but would stay low in UHF as both these systems have bands that stay below 566 MHz.

Thanks

Philip

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: IEMs: em 300 IEM vs PSM900 vs ...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »

My company rented 3x PSM900's for our church's retreat. Our church usually runs ew300's for the vocals; everyone (without me asking) was telling me how much better the PSM900's sound than the Senn ew's.

The MIPRO series of IEM is what I believe our company will invest in at some point. They are cheaper than both senn/shure & offer diversity. In theory, they should work better for us.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John Chiara

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »

My company rented 3x PSM900's for our church's retreat. Our church usually runs ew300's for the vocals; everyone (without me asking) was telling me how much better the PSM900's sound than the Senn ew's.

The MIPRO series of IEM is what I believe our company will invest in at some point. They are cheaper than both senn/shure & offer diversity. In theory, they should work better for us.

All Mipro here. Work very well. Way cheaper than the others.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
IEMs: em 300 IEM vs PSM900 vs ...
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »

People have different preferences about these two products. There's not a clear answer, from what I've heard.

In my experience the biggest difference (which is not very big) comes in how they deal with signal level and noise. The Senn can be noisy and sound less than great if you don't drive the unit with lots of signal, but if you run them hot you can get a pretty good noise floor and good sound. The PSM900 doesn't seem to need you to be so careful about the signal level and seems happy anywhere reasonable, maybe even happiest a little lower, but I guess what they've done to make that happen seems to make things sound slightly more compressed than the G3 does at its ideal state, IMHO. But, it seems to get that same sound consistently without much worry. All other variables aside, I have heard people say they just like the sound of PSM900 better. YMMV. I think they are both pretty good products.

Mipro seems to be a popular alternative choice around here but I've never used them in real life.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:28:07 AM by Samuel Rees »

John Chiara

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 02:15:12 PM »

People have different preferences about these two products. There's not a clear answer, from what I've heard.

In my experience the biggest difference comes in how they deal with signal level and noise. The Senn can be noisy and sound less than great if you don't drive the unit with lots of signal, but if you run them hot you can get a pretty good noise floor and good sound. The PSM900 doesn't seem to need you to be so careful about the signal level and seems happy anywhere reasonable, maybe even happiest a little lower, but I guess what they've done to make that happen seems to make things sound slightly more compressed than the G3 does at its ideal state, IMHO. But, it seems to get that same sound consistently without much worry. All other variables aside, I have heard people say they just like the sound of PSM900 better. YMMV. I think they are both pretty good products.

Mipro seems to be a popular alternative choice around here but I've never used them in real life.

Drummers seem to prefer the low end response of the G3 over the Shure.

Steve Cook

• Iowa City, IA
    • Steve Cook Sound
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:01:43 PM »

I work for a christian university where our student musicians are pushing hard for wireless IEM's right now. For wireless mic's we are currently using Lectro but I'd buy ULX-D if I could repurchase today. Luckily we are out in the country with only 10 UHF and 1 VHF channels within 40 miles, several of which are low power.

I'm torn between the ew300 IEM and PSM900. What I'd really like to find is a reverse ULX-D. PSM1000 and Sennheiser 2000 series are out of our price range. Is there anything "coming" I should keep my eyes out for or anything else I should consider?

I haven't yet really looked at frequency bands but would stay low in UHF as both these systems have bands that stay below 566 MHz.

Thanks

Philip

I've owned and used both.  I never saw much of a difference between the two.  And I'm a huge Shure fanboy. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 10:04:50 PM by Mac Kerr »

Dave Batistig

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:22:16 AM »

Thanks

Philip

All MiPro here. sound clarity is excellent at a price point far less than the PSM900. Full disclosure: I am an MiPro dealer, however, I was a user of the units before I became a dealer.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:49:12 AM by Mac Kerr »

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 09:58:34 AM »

My personal IEM unit is the Senn EW300 G3 which I like just fine. I have no complaints driving a set of 1964 Ears Quads and as a backup, a set of Westone UM30 generic ears.

I also have a set of EW300s G2s on a baby-sitting arrangement that we use with my country artist from time.

On on occasion, we arrived on a show to find that the local sound co was very well-equipped with 6 mixes of PSM900s available for whomever had ears with them. So we opted to use the 900s (my artist and I are the only ones on ears).

During soundcheck, I thought the sound was somewhat thinner with the 900s than I was used to, especially with my bass, but definitely acceptable. As usual, I set up my mix and dialed up my artist's mix for her ears.

We weren't 16 bars into the first song of the set when she looked at me and said "this doesn't sound right". I told her that they were fine, just different, and she'd get used to the sound, which we both did and had a great show, even with the sub drummer's charts blowing away! The monitor console was an M7CL (we use my X32 or XR18), but the monitor guy was very competent and accommodating. I never mentioned our thoughts on the sound to him, since he was great and accommodated the band very well and graciously.

I've since wanted to A/B the EW300s with a set of PSM 900s with the same desk. And I'm wondering if the 900s were cleaner and we are used to some grunge with the EW300s? I've had my unit for nearly 3 years now and have thoroughly enjoyed using it, no reason to think it isn't great.

There's definitely larger things on the plate to worry about, but this has stayed on my mind ever since. And I'd still recommend the Sennheisers.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 10:14:34 AM »

Sometime over the life of the product something will fail or you may need to add a player or three for a week.  Buy what you can readily rent more of when the need arises.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 11:56:23 AM »

Thanks

Philip

Lectrosonics makes great wireless systems. The only comment I will make is that to the best of my knowledge their minimum transmit power is higher than most other wireless systems so depending on how much bandwidth is in use this can be a slight drawback.

Also remember that musicians that are stationary like the drummer don’t need wireless. Just a headphone amp of some sort. In one church I set up a system for them with small cheap mixers for the stationary musicians. They don’t use amps on stage so one input is a split off their instrument one was an ambient mic plugged right into the mixer no cable, one input was the vocal sub group (split to all these mixers using an audio DA) and one was an aux send to give them and thing else that they need. They just plug in a set of ear buds or headphones and all reports that I get back so far have been that they love it.

Mal Brown

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 10:44:49 AM »

Has anyone done wireless audio to remote fills with the mipro ?  I'm looking for that next outdoor season.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 12:02:03 AM »

Listening to tracks directly into the units, I found the Shure to be less hissy, the Sennheiser to sound better.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 12:02:03 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.