ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: DAS Audio VANTEC 215A (comparisons)  (Read 10895 times)

Will Cash

DAS Audio VANTEC 215A (comparisons)
« on: July 25, 2016, 02:38:41 PM »

Does anyone have experience with these powered 2x15 3-ways? Or DAS in general? I like the specs but I can't find any reviews except for one comsumer that simply says "they look like the JBLs but JBL has nothing on DAS"...

Also considering:
JBL   SRX835p
Yorkville   U15p
RCF   4 Pro 6001-A (most expensive)
DB Technologies   S-215

Any thoughts? The Yorkvilles are the cheapest by far of this lot...

What else would your recommend in the range?

Thanks for the time
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 12:34:26 AM by Will Cash »

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
Re: DAS Audio VANTEC 215A
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:54:52 PM »

Does anyone have experience with these powered 2x15 3-ways? Or DAS in general? I like the specs but I can't find any reviews except for one comsumer that simply says "they look like the JBLs but JBL has nothing on DAS"...

Also considering:
JBL   SRX835p
Yorkville   U15p
RCF   4 Pro 6001-A

Thanks for the time

I think you will find that the Yorkvilles lag behind the JBL and DAS offerings in technology and performance.

The DAS Vantec is a good value, powerful, FIR filtered speaker. As to which is better, give them a listen, preferably up against the JBL etc. Which sounds better to you? Which is easier to move? Which is cheaper? Which is better value?

Let us know how you get on.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Will Cash

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 08:24:02 PM »

I think you will find that the Yorkvilles lag behind the JBL and DAS offerings in technology and performance.

The DAS Vantec is a good value, powerful, FIR filtered speaker. As to which is better, give them a listen, preferably up against the JBL etc. Which sounds better to you? Which is easier to move? Which is cheaper? Which is better value?

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for getting back!

I don't anticipate having the opportunity to compare in person. We're looking for a lush, full sound. We'll be using these on top of a pair of subs TBD based on the tops we end up with to host live avant-garde, electronic, club, and occasional full band acts.

As to the JBL vs DAS - they are very similarly priced and sized. The DAS has a wider coverage pattern - 90 x 50 as opposed to JBL's 60 x 40. The JBLs respond down to 33hz, while the DAS only go down to 40 -- neither of which will matter much when we filter for the subs.

I'm not familiar with DAS as a brand. Has anyone ever worked with them?

What about those RCFs?

Will Cash

Re: DAS Audio VANTEC 215A (comparison)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 08:24:20 PM »

[deleted duplicate post]

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 08:36:06 PM »

What about those RCFs?
I have a friend who does local shows 500 and below that has a pair of RCF 4 Pro 6001-A and he loves them with the exception that they are heavy.  They do have a nice sound, however they need to be elevated a bit in order to work.  It will also make a difference in what type of music you are running through the system.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Will Cash

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 12:33:36 AM »

How would some of the above compare to using something like the dB DVA M2M+ M2S (DVA MINI) as a pair?

I understand that the SPL is lower, but if we planned on buying more units in the future...

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 04:37:20 AM »

Thanks for getting back!

I don't anticipate having the opportunity to compare in person. We're looking for a lush, full sound. We'll be using these on top of a pair of subs TBD based on the tops we end up with to host live avant-garde, electronic, club, and occasional full band acts.

As to the JBL vs DAS - they are very similarly priced and sized. The DAS has a wider coverage pattern - 90 x 50 as opposed to JBL's 60 x 40. The JBLs respond down to 33hz, while the DAS only go down to 40 -- neither of which will matter much when we filter for the subs.

I'm not familiar with DAS as a brand. Has anyone ever worked with them?

What about those RCFs?

DAS is a top tier manufacturer like JBL / Nexo etc. Service is superb, build quality is world class. Just like JBL etc their range extends into advanced line arrays and that technology filters down into their junior product lines. DAS Vantec stacks up as a direct competitor for SRX800 series. In our warehouse we have Vantec 12s and Vantec 15s as well as some older PRX 615s. I don't have the SRX800s to compare them to, which would be the comparable line.
The Vantecs over the PRX - cleaner, clearer and louder. The PRX sounds louder (and less pleasant) though, when you place a noise meter in front of them, the Vantec is actually astonishingly loud and gets all the way up to its 135dB limit. The phenomenon that we have noticed is that the perceived volume of the Vantecs is lower than the PRXs even though it is in fact higher. This is due to the rather astonishing lack of distortion in a cabinet at this price point. I wouldn't be surprised if the SRX835 doesn't do the same trick. Incidentally I would strongly suggest going for the powered versions of both the JBL or Vantec as you would have to spend significant amounts of money on DSP (Lake or similar) to achieve the same results.

If you can, evaluate them side by side. If you can't, I suspect that either the DAS or JBL would be very happy purchases for you and you won't go wrong with either, so then it will come down to dealer support etc to make your choice.

Happy choosing!
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

thirtha chengappa

Re: DAS Audio VANTEC 215A (comparisons)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 10:02:29 AM »

Also considering:
JBL   SRX835p
Yorkville   U15p
RCF   4 Pro 6001-A (most expensive)
DB Technologies   S-215

What else would your recommend in the range?

Thanks for the time

Hi,

RCF 4pro 6001-A any day. Expensive yes. But to the best of my knowledge, RCF does not manufacture them anymore.

The new SRX range of JBL is worth a look.

Rick Earl

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 10:27:23 AM »

Does anyone have experience with these powered 2x15 3-ways? Or DAS in general?

We own DAS  - Aero 12A Line Arrays,our preferred vendor also has quite a bit of their product, and we have a venue with a DAS system installed.   I've been more than pleased with the quality of the systems, the value of the products and the service by DAS.   I've hosted demo's by 4 manufacturers this past year and DAS held their own against them all.   In the last 5 years, I've only had one amp module go down  and two pins bent, and that is after the stack of boxes was tipped over by a stage hand.  Replacement was quick and easy.  I'm happy with the service and response of the company on all my inquiries. 

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 01:11:59 PM »

How would some of the above compare to using something like the dB DVA M2M+ M2S (DVA MINI) as a pair?

I understand that the SPL is lower, but if we planned on buying more units in the future...

If you are considering affordable line array, give the DAS Event 210A a go. We have a 16 box system for local stuff and are blown away by it. Serious build quality, superb rigging system and has won favourable reviews  on sound quality vs Q1 on D12 amps. Rigging wise it is leagues ahead. The price will astonish you.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Paul Guthrie

• DiTech AV
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »

DAS Vantec's are really nice.   I picked up a pair along with a pair of Subs back in June.   We already have DAS Aero 12's, 20's, LX 218's, Action 12A's etc.   We needed something for smaller gigs.  I have to say they are pretty impressive.   We have used them with a full Band for a smaller gig and had more than enough headroom with plenty to go!  You will not be disappointed with them.   IMHO you will be happier with DAS over JBL any day of the week. 

Full disclosure:  I'm not just an owner I'm also a dealer.  That said we are also dealers for several other brands.  But we own DAS.  I have owned DAS products since 2009, and have always been happy with them as well as the support from DAS.  Our customers now expect the clarity and fullness they experience with our DAS gear.     

If I can be of assistance to you let me know.   
Rental Stocklist:
DAS Audio
DiColor 3.91 LED Video Wall
Yamaha
PR Lighting
Mega Lighting
Sennheiser

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.