ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's how NOT to deploy your 'line array'  (Read 17893 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Here's how NOT to deploy your 'line array'
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 02:18:43 PM »

I am with Keith Broughton on this one. Other then the box on top, there's nothing wrong with this if the room calls for this type of deployment.

Isn't that saying like other than being wrong, it's right? meant all in good fun....

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 02:31:30 PM »

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a worse deployment.

We've seen worse... From an old thread...
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 02:44:11 PM »

Kind of hard to tell from a picture how it sounded..  :) I bet there'd be one of us that could somehow get something out of that config that sort of worked. I would have chosen black straps myself.  8)

those are like 90 x 18 deg HF, right? So you have a 90 x 18 slice on top then a 36(ish) x 90v bottom pair.

Right. But you have an 18º x 36º slice directly on axis where there is overlap and MASSIVE comb filtering.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »

Other than the top box, what is really wrong with the cabs on their sides?
If there was a balcony (maybe not in this case) or rising seating at the back , it would work fine.
I have used them and they sound the same either way  ;)

I know you can't really tell from the picture, but this was outside in a flat park. The only reason I can think of for this sort of 'arrangement' is they didn't have the means to fly the array, and didn't have the hardware to ground stack it. Ironically this park is directly across the street from their office.

Having the cabs on their sides in and of itself is not an issue. In fact if they put all three on their sides it probably would have worked fairly decent. But having two oriented one way and the other oriented the opposite is a major issue.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »

Wow! Ok, you win! Those are pretty terrible  :o
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:09:35 PM by Scott Carneval »

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 03:06:21 PM »

Stumbled upon this on Instagram. Fortunately I wasn't at the show to enjoy this in person.

This appears to be 3x QSC KLA12 ratchet strapped to possibly JBL PRX718 subs. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a worse deployment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What speakers? I didn't see any   ;D

Ken Braziel

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 03:32:00 PM »

Other than the top box, what is really wrong with the cabs on their sides?
If there was a balcony (maybe not in this case) or rising seating at the back , it would work fine.
I have used them and they sound the same either way  ;)

The strap across the front of the inside speaker is going to have a very odd effect on the dispersion of the highs,  that's what stands out to me. Otherwise you're mostly right, the tight "horizontal" dispersion of those speakers might make that setup "mostly OK" horizontally (the sideways pairs), except for the interference between the 90-degree "width" for that bottom one and the 18-degree height for the top.

Justin Perrachon

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 04:08:52 PM »

I know you can't really tell from the picture, but this was outside in a flat park. The only reason I can think of for this sort of 'arrangement' is they didn't have the means to fly the array, and didn't have the hardware to ground stack it. Ironically this park is directly across the street from their office.

Hey Scott,

Deep South Entertainment has lifts and they generally fly their kla12s. In their defense, this picture is from an event at City Limits Saloon, a location that doesn't have space to setup lifts (and does have balcony seating). That being said, if that was my rig, I would probably deploy two kla12s on sticks and a set of front fills as opposed to trying to groundstack.

I'm familiar with their setup because DSE occasionally subcontracts me. Usually it's to setup and run my Fulcrum rig at events, but I have worked on their (flown) kla12 rig a time or two.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:11:12 PM by Justin Perrachon »

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 04:21:20 PM »

Hey Scott,

Deep South Entertainment has lifts and they generally fly their kla12s. In their defense, this picture is from an event at City Limits Saloon, a location that doesn't have space to setup lifts (and does have balcony seating). That being said, if that was my rig, I would probably deploy two kla12s on sticks and a set of front fills as opposed to trying to groundstack.

I'm familiar with their setup because DSE occasionally subcontracts me. Usually it's to setup and run my Fulcrum rig at events, but I have worked on their (flown) kla12 rig a time or two.

Hey Justin,

Thanks for the clarification. I ASSumed that this was at the Destination Dix festival at Dorthea Dix Park. But looking at it again, I took this screenshot at 4:44pm and they were advertising a 5pm show, which leads me to ASSume this picture was from a previous show, which makes sense that it was taken at City Limits.

Regardless, it's a terrible deployment. Are they still using the stage that the mechanical bull used to sit on? It seems like if they wanted to hit the balcony they could just stack all 3 KLA's on top of the subs and let the top arch back. 

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 04:42:42 PM »

And the pilot told me I was dreaming ! 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 04:42:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.