ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cable tester  (Read 17691 times)

Jordan Wolf

Re: cable tester
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 03:24:48 PM »

Arnold,

I'd rather have a dedicated 8P8C tester/tracer/ticker...with all the digital audio stuff using Cat5e/Cat6, etc. nowadays, it's just another good reason to carry one.

I very much like the Ebtech one for testing of "normal" audio cables (TT is normal for live sound?) but wish it tested NL4 and NL8 connectors.

I think it best to have a tester for each cable type ("normal" patch cables such as XLR and 1/4"; Ethernet; Speakon) - more pricey up front, but a better value in the long run methinks since one would be able to fully evaluate each type for faults.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 11:10:07 PM »

Arnold,

I'd rather have a dedicated 8P8C tester/tracer/ticker...with all the digital audio stuff using Cat5e/Cat6, etc. nowadays, it's just another good reason to carry one.

I agree. I have  a combination tester that requires access to both ends of the network line and tests using a manual switch, which can be the best tool, and also a specialized network cable tester that has two parts and can be used with network cabling that is already in place.

I very much like the Ebtech one for testing of "normal" audio cables (TT is normal for live sound?) but wish it tested NL4 and NL8 connectors.

The combination cable tester I have does XLR, TRS, TS, NL4, NL8, CAT5, and others.

I think it best to have a tester for each cable type ("normal" patch cables such as XLR and 1/4"; Ethernet; Speakon) - more pricey up front, but a better value in the long run methinks since one would be able to fully evaluate each type for faults.

I think that having a separate tester for each kind of cable is going a bit overboard. Too costly and too many different things to carry.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 10:35:02 PM »

The Behringer's intermittent indicator has seemingly been very handy.  The EWI has a very comprehensive I/O set.  http://audiopile.net/products/Electronics/Bug_Catcher/Bugcatcher_cutsheet.shtml

Paul Dershem

• San Diego, CA
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 10:58:24 PM »

I have owned EWI tester mentioned by Mr. Padrick for about five years, and it has worked very well:

http://audiopile.net/products/Electronics/Bug_Catcher/Bugcatcher_cutsheet.shtml
Live without pretending
Love without depending
Listen without defending
Speak without offending.

Mike McNany

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 08:36:27 AM »

I picked up the NADY CT3 (?) from Musician's Friend for $25 or $30 several years ago, far cheaper than even the behringer. It works fine and even tests NL4s.

Mike McNany

Rick Perry

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
    • Pro Audio Development
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 05:42:12 AM »

can anyone recommend a decent cable tester mostly need to test xlr mic cables and guitar/instrument cables.

I favor the MI TEE cable tester. You can do a google search for it, I use mine all the time and it supports XLR, MIDI, 1/4, USB, Cat5, SPEAK ON, etc...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 05:42:12 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.