ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line List software ?  (Read 5634 times)

Įrni F. Siguršsson

• SR Forums
Line List software ?
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:39:30 AM »

Anyone here know of, and/or is using a software specificly designed for line lists ?

I've been using Excel (or a pen and a piece of paper) but has anyone see a specific software for the task ?

Where you could maybe make an inventory of what you have (mics, outboard etc.) and choose mics and inserts from a drop-down menu. Select a console, giving you automatically how many channels are available and so on.

I know this might be over-complicating things, but it might be neat.

also, if such a software were to be made, what features would you want it to have ?
Sound technician
Menningarfélag Akureyrar / Akureyri Culture Company
Iceland

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Line List software ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:58:03 AM »

Anyone here know of, and/or is using a software specificly designed for line lists ?

I've been using Excel (or a pen and a piece of paper) but has anyone see a specific software for the task ?

Where you could maybe make an inventory of what you have (mics, outboard etc.) and choose mics and inserts from a drop-down menu. Select a console, giving you automatically how many channels are available and so on.

also, if such a software were to be made, what features would you want it to have ?

The theatrical folks use Show Builder, but it's more for the design/track side of audio.  Stage Research has a demo you can download and try.  Show Builder does much more than audio and those features may or may not appeal to you.

I think you're over-complicating things if you do one-offs.  If you do theatre or sophisticated corporate events  you need something like Show Builder more than you need a simple line schedule.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Įrni F. Siguršsson

• SR Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:00:48 AM »

The theatrical folks use Show Builder, but it's more for the design/track side of audio.  Stage Research has a demo you can download and try.  Show Builder does much more than audio and those features may or may not appeal to you.

I think you're over-complicating things if you do one-offs.  If you do theatre or sophisticated corporate events  you need something like Show Builder more than you need a simple line schedule.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

my original tought was after I was using an iPad's "Notes" for a 48ch line list that was always changing and was using a lot of subsnakes and was for both FOH and Broadcast
Sound technician
Iceland

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:07:52 AM »

I use Filemaker Pro. I don't find Excel much better than the paper and pencil method, it is not that easy to look at different versions of the data.

I have each show in its own database, which includes all wire connections in the system. I then have various layouts to view the console patch, the subsnake to main snake patch, and the mic to subsnake patch. Each subsnake has its own page in that version and it is very clear how everything patches. If I make a change it is automatically reflected in all layouts so I know I didn't miss making the change somewhere.

I also have layouts to print labels in a couple of standard Avery sizes for shows where every stagebox input or multitail output gets a label.

Filemaker is pretty easy to work with to build your own version that works the way you do. It also has a smaller iPad version.

Mac

David Jameson

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:57:27 PM »

If you want to continue using Excel and are familiar with Data Validation, you can build drop down boxes fairly simple. 

http://www.contextures.com/xldataval01.html

Good luck.
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

Įrni F. Siguršsson

• SR Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 03:41:27 PM »

I use Filemaker Pro. I don't find Excel much better than the paper and pencil method, it is not that easy to look at different versions of the data.

I just downloaded a trial of FileMaker Pro, sounds interesting, any change you could send me an example of a show so I can see how you are building up the database (I won't go in a corner and cry if you say no though ;))
Sound technician
Iceland

Steve Anderson

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 09:09:01 PM »

I just downloaded a trial of FileMaker Pro, sounds interesting, any change you could send me an example of a show so I can see how you are building up the database (I won't go in a corner and cry if you say no though ;))
That would be awesome if you could, Mac, I have just purchased Filemaker to create an installation quoting system, but it's been a loooong time since I've worked with database software. And the whole line list thing sounds great.
(I will go in a corner and cry if you say no, just not for long ;) )

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Line List software
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 09:57:52 PM »

That would be awesome if you could, Mac, I have just purchased Filemaker to create an installation quoting system, but it's been a loooong time since I've worked with database software. And the whole line list thing sounds great.
(I will go in a corner and cry if you say no, just not for long ;) )

I use a very old version of Filemaker because it does what I need, and I never got around to upgrading. I think you can open v5.5 files with version 10 or 11, which is the current version.

I have put a couple of files on my iDisk public folder. You need both files. One of them is the master list of all the multies, the other is the patch list that itemizes all the channels. The master list makes it easy to change what a multi is and have the info in the patch sheets update by doing a relookup. Some of the ways to enter data are a little arcane, but in the end it saves a lot of time.

You navigate around the forms with the buttons at the top of the page. If there is no home button visible, hit "command B" to get back into the browse mode, and if that doesn't get you the home button, change layouts from the drop down menu in the upper left corner. Once you are in a given layout, click on the page icon in the upper left to step through the pages in that layout.

These files are from a show that uses pretty much all the functions I have built into the database, but this is a very old fairly simple database. It is certainly possible to build a much more powerful, elegant database with the newer versions of FMpro.

The basic views in the patch sheets are "Console" which shows the patching from the point of view of the console, including I/O port, "Multi", "Subsnake", and "Data". There are also buttons to make labels.

Good luck.

Mac
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:07:08 PM by Mac Kerr »

Brad Harris

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 02:28:33 PM »

I don't know if this may be useful or not to you. We use a custom database for all of our events, clients, equipment, servicing etc.

But I use 2 spreadsheets in addition ontop of our database for picking/allocating equipment and input lists. (I've been slowly working on a FM solution for this, but with everything, there isn't enough time these days)

The input list is dropdown for microphones/stands from our inventory, as well as if you enter wrong/duplicate information in subsnakes (ie, 2 ch1) it will let you know.

The picklist is our whole inventory, with columns to separate the gear out (different bands, venues, FOH, MON, spares, etc) with a total count. Also it is collapsable for easier viewing (ie, if an equipment piece has a count of 0, it isn't shown)

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Limited time offer
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »

I have put a couple of files on my iDisk public folder. You need both files. One of them is the master list of all the multies, the other is the patch list that itemizes all the channels.

I am only going to leave those files in the public folder till the end of the week. If you have any questions about getting it working ask here.

Mac

Steve Anderson

Re: Limited time offer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 10:26:01 PM »

I am only going to leave those files in the public folder till the end of the week. If you have any questions about getting it working ask here.

Mac

Thanks so much for putting them up there Mac.

Have opened them in FMP11, upon opening it wanted to convert to an .fp7 file, from there it seems to work fine. Haven't yet a good long look at it, money making exercises are calling me :)

Thanks again,
Steve

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Limited time offer
Ā« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 10:26:01 PM Ā»

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.