ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: d&b B22  (Read 43405 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: d&b B22
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2016, 07:40:46 PM »

Back before the turn of the century, I thought that if I won the lottery, I would start a REAL review magazine.

I would buy the products and then test and use them as I saw fit.

Then publish the results.  I would not accept any advertising, so would be free to publish what I wanted.

People would read it to get an unbiased opinion.

Of course, I need to win the lottery FIRST--------------

Consumer Reports does basically all that, albeit under more controlled or monitored use than "as I saw fit."

Production Partner (oh, how I wish I'd learned German) doesn't purchase the products it reviews but they are very thorough in their reviews and analysis.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2016, 08:20:21 PM »

Production Partner (oh, how I wish I'd learned German) doesn't purchase the products it reviews but they are very thorough in their reviews and analysis.
Agreed.  There is also a Polish pro audio magazine that does the same sort of thing.

They are LIGHT YEARS ahead of what we "Americans" have for "reviews" of gear.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Al Rettich

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2017, 09:01:29 PM »

Personal preference. I've heard Otto subs sound good, and I've heard them sound bad. This can be said with most line array cabinets. It has A LOT to do with the person designing and implementing it. I've had great shows on VerTec in one city, go to the next town same 4889 rig, and it sounds 180 degrees different.. Difference, was person designing and implementing it.
Otto walks all over the B2/22/J-infra but it has a hefty price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Hargis

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2017, 02:51:24 PM »

I've had great shows on VerTec in one city, go to the next town same 4889 rig, and it sounds 180 degrees different..

It must have been out of polarity  ;)
d&b audiotechnik - Support
Owner - Champagne Event Services - Asheville NC

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2017, 04:43:53 PM »

Personal preference. I've heard Otto subs sound good, and I've heard them sound bad. This can be said with most line array cabinets. It has A LOT to do with the person designing and implementing it. I've had great shows on VerTec in one city, go to the next town same 4889 rig, and it sounds 180 degrees different.. Difference, was person designing and implementing it.

Mix on one of our VerTec rigs, Al.  You'll like it... or else. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2017, 06:26:52 PM »

All d&b loudspeakers are absolutely REQUIRED to be used exclusively (in the most literal sense of the word) with d&b amplifiers.

Quite simply, you do not ever use d&b loudspeakers without d&b amplifiers.

Funny thing, I freelance with the live department of a local company who is a d&b dealer.  One of their guys was telling me about going out to do some work on an old(er) install which he hadn't seen before.  Turns out the client had someone else in and got sold a bunch of crown amps to replace the d&b amps.  I don't know if thy still had the original amps.  Suffice to say the rig didn't sound right.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2017, 07:26:46 PM »

Ouch!

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2017, 08:10:51 AM »

Powersoft got presets for several d&b boxes these days.
Rumor has it they work rather well.

radulescu_paul_mircea

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »

Exactly! If one knows what he's doing, I don't see why not use them with other amps. Especially if it's an readily available amp model

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »

Exactly! If one knows what he's doing, I don't see why not use them with other amps. Especially if it's an readily available amp model

While that may be true, d & b will not let anyone purchase their cabs without the d & b amps.  That has become true of many of the big system manufactures (JBL with Crown, etc), and I understand the advantages for cross renting and consistency. 

I'm hoping that doesn't start extending to other parts of a system.  There is nothing wrong with Yamaha consoles, but I would hate to have to buy one to get a Nexo rig, as an example (insert JBL/Soundcraft, Martin/Mackie, and others).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 24 queries.