ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Device to sync audio to video.  (Read 2760 times)

ThomasKay

Device to sync audio to video.
« on: July 13, 2016, 02:01:21 PM »

I have a room with three TV's that I am sending HMDI to via a splitter. My audio is going to a PA system (analog) instead of using sound from TV. There is a delay in the audio and the video and I need something to align the two. I am researching this and have found something, but considering I have never put something like this together, I didn't know if there was a consensus product leader for this type of product.

This is what I have found:
https://www.amazon.com/Sescom-V-SYNC-Lip-Sync-Corrector-Sescom/dp/B00C0NTHOU/ref=pd_lpo_23_lp_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=28MEHFAHAH2PRT26F00C

-Need three of them
-client has no knowledge of these type of matters. 
-Need to stay as low cost as possible within reason.

Thanks for any input.

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
Re: Device to sync audio to video.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 02:46:30 PM »

I have a room with three TV's that I am sending HMDI to via a splitter. My audio is going to a PA system (analog) instead of using sound from TV. There is a delay in the audio and the video and I need something to align the two. I am researching this and have found something, but considering I have never put something like this together, I didn't know if there was a consensus product leader for this type of product.

This is what I have found:
https://www.amazon.com/Sescom-V-SYNC-Lip-Sync-Corrector-Sescom/dp/B00C0NTHOU/ref=pd_lpo_23_lp_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=28MEHFAHAH2PRT26F00C

-Need three of them
-client has no knowledge of these type of matters. 
-Need to stay as low cost as possible within reason.

Thanks for any input.

Which is ahead, audio or video?

If Audio is ahead, then you need audio delay and it can be done via a delayed out on digital boards or any of many digital units, including the one in your link.

If Video is ahead, then you get into a much more expensive set of solutions, however audio delay is usually what you need.

ThomasKay

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »

Which is ahead, audio or video?

If Audio is ahead, then you need audio delay and it can be done via a delayed out on digital boards or any of many digital units, including the one in your link.

If Video is ahead, then you get into a much more expensive set of solutions, however audio delay is usually what you need.

The audio is ahead of the video. The unit I provided (via the link) will only jump in increments. 50ms, 100ms, etc. That makes me cautious. It is also RCA -10 so I would imagine I would have to convert from +4 to -10 and then back again because my cable runs are XLR. Not 100% sure on the best practices for that.

I was also looking at a Behringer that is an EFX rack unit that has +4.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FX2000

Kevin Rudolph

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 11:04:30 PM »

The audio is ahead of the video. The unit I provided (via the link) will only jump in increments. 50ms, 100ms, etc. That makes me cautious. It is also RCA -10 so I would imagine I would have to convert from +4 to -10 and then back again because my cable runs are XLR. Not 100% sure on the best practices for that.

I was also looking at a Behringer that is an EFX rack unit that has +4.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FX2000

Some part of your video processing is adding latency to the video signal - likely a switcher/scaler.  If you get more specific with your signal chain, I could probably tell you how to fix your problem without buying anything significant.  Worst case you really only need 1 device as the delay should be the same for each speaker. 

If you are working in a really large room, you need to have reasonable expectations for audio/video sync, as the speed of sound and the speed of light are pretty different.  That 50ms increment is pretty workable as far as lip sync goes.  Keep in mind that 30' back from the display your ears are going to hear the sound 30+ms after the light hits your eyes.  If you can get it within 20ms, I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference either way.

Don't buy that behringer - it's not really designed to do what you are trying to do.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 11:59:41 PM »

Nearly any audio system should have a DSP.  Any common install DSP has delay. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 11:59:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 26 queries.