Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

UHF/VHF spectrum analyser

(1/2) > >>

TJ (Tom) Cornish:
Most of the time I work in venues where there are a small enough number of frequencies in use that I can manually handle them, but I foresee needing a scanner eventually.  Looking in my crystal ball, I'm guessing a couple channels of VHF ULX-D are in my future, so I'm interested in both UHF and VHF bands.

What's out there now that's low cost, can put data into Wireless Workbench, and supports UHF and VHF?  My budget is $$$, so looking for things like the Airspy or RF Explorer-level products, probably.

Thanks

Chris Johnson [UK]:
the RF explorer is a great little utility scanner, and would seem to fit the bill for you perfectly.

It gives you more than enough data to do basic coordination, and its small size and cheap nature means you can chuck it around, use it outdoors even if its a bit rainy, etc... and not worry about it.

You need to attach it to a laptop for best results, but thats easy to do. I often use it velcro-ed to the back of my Surface for a pretty cool mobile low cost scanning/coordination platform

Jordan Wolf:
I use an RF Explorer (15-2700MHz version) for most of my frequency planning. I don't have the money, resources, or actual need to buy/rent a more advanced analyzer at this time.

Paired with the Apple-only Vantage program, I can scan a range of frequencies and export it to a .csv file that Shure's WWB6 can understand.

It's nice to be able to add specific frequencies into Vantage to "monitor" relative signal strength, but it's a little clunky for batch adding freqs. as of this version.

I recommend getting adapters to interface it with BNC, and any other connection types you might run into - that way, you can see what the antennas you're using are seeing (unless they're active, then maybe not).

- Jordan Wolf

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Jordan Wolf on July 12, 2016, 09:52:16 PM ---I use an RF Explorer (15-2700MHz version) for most of my frequency planning. I don't have the money, resources, or actual need to buy/rent a more advanced analyzer at this time.

Paired with the Apple-only Vantage program, I can scan a range of frequencies and export it to a .csv file that Shure's WWB6 can understand.

It's nice to be able to add specific frequencies into Vantage to "monitor" relative signal strength, but it's a little clunky for batch adding freqs. as of this version.

I recommend getting adapters to interface it with BNC, and any other connection types you might run into - that way, you can see what the antennas you're using are seeing (unless they're active, then maybe not).

- Jordan Wolf

--- End quote ---

Second all of this.

I also have a inline pad that I use to plug the RFExplorer directly into IEM transmitters to check for signal strength and frequency stability.  Very handy.

Brad Harris:
RFExplorer with Vantage for background monitoring over here. Used to use a WinRadio unit, but the sweep times were painfully slow.

Anything more serious, my FSH comes out to play ... i.e., the RFE BOUNCES around in my everyday toolbox, where the FSH comes out when needed.

BRad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version