ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stage Shading  (Read 6809 times)

Aaron Maurer

Stage Shading
« on: July 11, 2016, 08:38:15 AM »

I have been nominated to participate on an entertainment committee in my local community for the towns Bicentenial next year. Looking for someone that can deploy some "shade screens" in an area of a park where all the entertainment will perform. If you have any suggestions on folks that deploy this which would include rigging and such for a week long event please let me know. This is not for the stage area more so the area around the stage. My vision is flying some panels at strategic locations around the park. May not be able to pull this off but want to at least explore the idea. Location is near Harrisburg, PA.

John Penkala

Re: Stage Shading
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 10:45:40 AM »

I have been nominated to participate on an entertainment committee in my local community for the towns Bicentenial next year. Looking for someone that can deploy some "shade screens" in an area of a park where all the entertainment will perform. If you have any suggestions on folks that deploy this which would include rigging and such for a week long event please let me know. This is not for the stage area more so the area around the stage. My vision is flying some panels at strategic locations around the park. May not be able to pull this off but want to at least explore the idea. Location is near Harrisburg, PA.

Have you considered getting a tent without the sides?

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 01:11:29 PM »

or the tent with three sides only.   Been there and seen this. 
It helps for the windy rainy to keep off the performance but only if the wind is not blowing into the open side ??

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »

John, Jerome, I don't think this is actually for the stage or a tent; I think it's for sun shade for guests in otherwise open areas of the park.

Aaron?  Shed some light on this shade?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Chiara

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 09:14:13 PM »

John, Jerome, I don't think this is actually for the stage or a tent; I think it's for sun shade for guests in otherwise open areas of the park.

Aaron?  Shed some light on this shade?

I see MANY shows with east facing stages...so the sun is in the audiences eyes the whole show. A backstage dropsies shade would help tremendously. Can't even see the performers on stage.

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 10:16:16 PM »

Let me see if I can make sense of this. The stage is facing South. The audience will be sitting in an open area with a few trees but not many and the shade will not be in favorable places to see the bands. Just guessing but I would say the area is 300' wide but is was thinking having a few of these shades up as some folks would sit in the sun and not mind it some will need to be out of the sun to enjoy themselves. This is a Bicentenial celebration and am only trying to assist I making it a pleasurable for everyone as possible. Again this is only a thought with good intentions. So to clarify I was thinking putting some type of shading up for the audience to get out of the sun in strategic areas. The audience would be facing due North to see the stage. Area is 300' wide X 150' deep. Maybe the corners and the middle????   Looking for the screen type material. Maybe flying it with some lifts for a line array???  They plan to have entertainment all week.  Maybe it's a stretch but that is my vision.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 10:26:33 PM »

Let me see if I can make sense of this. The stage is facing South. The audience will be sitting in an open area with a few trees but not many and the shade will not be in favorable places to see the bands. Just guessing but I would say the area is 300' wide but is was thinking having a few of these shades up as some folks would sit in the sun and not mind it some will need to be out of the sun to enjoy themselves. This is a Bicentenial celebration and am only trying to assist I making it a pleasurable for everyone as possible. Again this is only a thought with good intentions. So to clarify I was thinking putting some type of shading up for the audience to get out of the sun in strategic areas. The audience would be facing due North to see the stage. Area is 300' wide X 150' deep. Maybe the corners and the middle????   Looking for the screen type material. Maybe flying it with some lifts for a line array???  They plan to have entertainment all week.  Maybe it's a stretch but that is my vision.

Flying stuff overhead requires that it be tied down so that wind doesn't bring it down. I think I understand what you're asking for here but I think you are going to find that it will be impractical. I think that you are wanting to make a sail which is the opposite of what we want to do when we put stuff up in the air. Your intention is good to shade the people but I think a securely strapped down tent will really be what you're looking for. In perfect conditions (no wind) you could get something up but you cannot count on it being perfectly still and you MUST allow for it to be windy.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 11:05:50 PM »

Looking for someone that can deploy some "shade screens" in an area of a park where all the entertainment will perform.

I can't help you with the who, but here is an example from a place we work to hopefully give you some ideas.  This place is set up for it, but rather than spreading little shade patches that the patrons have to chase around all day, they put up an translucent and low shear fabric over the area directly in front of the stage.  It provides a more consistent shaded area and encourages people to be in front of the band. 

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/chataqua-days-carnival-chewelah?select=KsAsKe7K9bp3wtu1cm_Fdw

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/chataqua-days-carnival-chewelah?select=5wT3UyWMgcK2sv_WpCD8Tw
This space for rent

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 11:20:50 PM »

I can't help you with the who, but here is an example from a place we work to hopefully give you some ideas.  This place is set up for it, but rather than spreading little shade patches that the patrons have to chase around all day, they put up an translucent and low shear fabric over the area directly in front of the stage.  It provides a more consistent shaded area and encourages people to be in front of the band. 

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/chataqua-days-carnival-chewelah?select=KsAsKe7K9bp3wtu1cm_Fdw

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/chataqua-days-carnival-chewelah?select=5wT3UyWMgcK2sv_WpCD8Tw

THAT is an EXCELLENT idea!!

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 09:56:21 AM »

Fabric stretched into funky shapes around the venue could really add a neat look to your event.  No idea what the costs would be to put that in, but i've seen it done in permanent venues quite often. If you have enough of a budget, anything is possible.  I've worked on events where they drop telephone poles where mounts are needed on a temporary basis. This could be used to secure the corners of your fabric.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 09:56:21 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.