ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Signature Series No Insert Points Question  (Read 12463 times)

Eric Bergsson

Re: Soundcraft Signature Series No Insert Points Question
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 10:53:43 AM »

ok .. I just saw a YouTube video from soundtrack on the board. They are calling it a "compressor limiter" on each channel so it would be interesting to see how it works in a live setting ...

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 12:01:23 PM »

ok .. I just saw a YouTube video from soundtrack on the board. They are calling it a "compressor limiter" on each channel so it would be interesting to see how it works in a live setting ...

At the price point of the Soundcraft desk, I would not expect onboard channel comp/limiters to be very sophisticated (read: sound very good). 
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Eric Bergsson

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 07:57:29 AM »

At the price point of the Soundcraft desk, I would not expect onboard channel comp/limiters to be very sophisticated (read: sound very good).

Well that's a deal breaker for me ... I really can't believe they didn't put any insert points on this board ... It renders it useless in a live setting.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 08:07:38 AM »

Well that's a deal breaker for me ... I really can't believe they didn't put any insert points on this board ... It renders it useless in a live setting.

No, it has utility commensurate with the purchase price.  That it won't work for everyone is up to the consumer to know.  You (usually) get what you pay for.  What you decide to buy is your own responsibility, not that of the manufacturer.

Just go up a level or two on the Soundcraft line and pay for the features you (think) you need.

It's not complicated...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Eric Bergsson

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 08:15:59 AM »

I won't be coming back to this forum because it seems to have been taken over by people more interested in smart aleck comments that mean to show how stupid I am for asking these questions and how knowledgeable they supposedly are .... It sure has changed since the last time I was here a few years ago ...
That being said I stand by my comments ... To put all the best supposed legacy features into this signature series (mic pres) (eq) (effects) etc and then leave out this basic requirement ( inserts ) is just stupid ...
I will have to forgo this mixer and get and  fx16ii instead ...  AT least it has the flexibility that most live guys need . Like inserts ... And three monitor sends ...
The signature series has two monitor sends which is fine but the lack of inserts sucks ....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:22:54 AM by Eric Bergsson »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 08:25:51 AM »

Eric-

Always sad to see someone go, but to be candid, I didn't really read too much "showing that you're stupid" into most of the comments. That being said, the point that Dick was trying to make is that manufacturers have different models at different price points, and features do have to give along the way if they intend to have a lower cost board offering. I know you know that, but at the same time, take for example a small op DJ company, who just needs to have the ability to run their DJ mixer and maybe a couple of extra mics- they don't have a major need (or skillset to even know how to do this... or ears to hear that it needs to be done...) to insert things onto channels, or compress the mains, or have more then two monitor mixes, so this board is perfect for them.

Not every piece of equipment can be perfect for every user. It is up to the purchaser to determine what their needs are. I know that's sorta what you were saying as well, but it's like complaining that Shure's QLX-D microphones don't have the advanced networking capabilities that the ULX-D has-- well, then, if you need those features, then you need to 1) do your research about it and b) be willing to pay for the model that has the features that you need.

It's better for you to have discovered this NOW as opposed to after having bought the board, right? ;)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 08:29:24 AM »

What Dick said.
I've got the smallest Signature console and it works fine for what I use it for.  Soundcraft has low cost options with inserts if that's what you need.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Eric Bergsson

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 08:43:31 AM »

Eric-

Always sad to see someone go, but to be candid, I didn't really read too much "showing that you're stupid" into most of the comments. That being said, the point that Dick was trying to make is that manufacturers have different models at different price points, and features do have to give along the way if they intend to have a lower cost board offering. I know you know that, but at the same time, take for example a small op DJ company, who just needs to have the ability to run their DJ mixer and maybe a couple of extra mics- they don't have a major need (or skillset to even know how to do this... or ears to hear that it needs to be done...) to insert things onto channels, or compress the mains, or have more then two monitor mixes, so this board is perfect for them.

Not every piece of equipment can be perfect for every user. It is up to the purchaser to determine what their needs are. I know that's sorta what you were saying as well, but it's like complaining that Shure's QLX-D microphones don't have the advanced networking capabilities that the ULX-D has-- well, then, if you need those features, then you need to 1) do your research about it and b) be willing to pay for the model that has the features that you need.

It's better for you to have discovered this NOW as opposed to after having bought the board, right? ;)

-Ray

I have to disagree with you .. This is advertised as a pro board with "high end legacy features" . It is not a plaything for know nothing DJ's or the like. Insert points are a basic feature on the most basic of boards or of more expensive ones whether analog or digital ...
It's just plain ridiculous to leave out this feature and I want to warn potential buyers who are "researching" their requirements. I also want to complain to the manufacturer about this and have made similar comments on their video demos ....

Yes ... Then the consumer can decide ...

The "features" I need are on a board with lousier pre amp eq's and effects. How good is that ?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 09:26:44 AM »

I have to disagree with you .. This is advertised as a pro board with "high end legacy features" . It is not a plaything for know nothing DJ's or the like. Insert points are a basic feature on the most basic of boards or of more expensive ones whether analog or digital ...
It's just plain ridiculous to leave out this feature and I want to warn potential buyers who are "researching" their requirements. I also want to complain to the manufacturer about this and have made similar comments on their video demos ....

The "features" I need are on a board with lousier pre amp eq's and effects. How good is that ?

If you want the world to kiss your butt it helps to,pull your head out first...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »

I'm not certain where you're seeing this advertised (BY SOUNDCRAFT!) as a "pro board with 'high end legacy features' " because I'm certainly not seeing that verbiage on their website anywhere...

But Eric, you're looking at a $350 mixer!! (Which is, by the way, why your thread got moved from the Classic LAB to the Lounge... You said you've been on here before in the past, so I'm a bit surprised you were astonished by the move.) YOU say that inserts are an absolute MUST for you, but that's just you- every user has different needs. For this board, Soundcraft incorporates those two cute dbx limiters (based on compression) -- so the fact they incorporated THOSE is probably why they're not including any other way to insert something on the channel.

By the way, this board uses the GB-series audio routing technology, so maybe one of the GB4 or GB8s would be better suited to your needs? (I didn't know they still have those listed as current models!)

In my defense, I never called this a "plaything for no nothing DJs" and it is rude for you to insinuate that. DJs may not have the best standing on here (or in the real world) but they are still in an audio-related career, and it's inappropriate to call their tools a "play thing." (Unless it's a BBE Sonic Maximizer, which should really be called the BBE GuitarCenterProfitMaximizer... haha.)

Once again, though, at the price point given, *something* has to give-- you can't have everything-- so instead of blaming the manufacturer for leaving out something YOU think is vital, maybe focus your efforts on finding something that will meet your needs?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.