ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley SM80 - coverage area/people/music  (Read 6549 times)

Uniz Kazz

Re: Danley SM80 - coverage area/people/music
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 09:57:36 PM »

We have done several outdoor shows with a one SM80-over one TH118 on each side of the stage, powered by Crown xti4000 and ITech 6000 each in stereo mode. No problem hitting 100dB peaks at 100 ft at full tilt, as long as we had full power (mostly the ability to give the sub amp a full 20A dedicated circuit). One of our larger areas was about 100 by 100 ft at a downtown stage, with additional spillover on the sidewalk and street, maybe 300-400 people; pop/country act; there were a few buildings on each side of the lot that helped confine the sound a little bit.  Recently got some higher extension poles and speaker tilters which help with aiming the sound where it needs to go. Lots of compliments on the quality of sound.

Hi Rick, can you specify the speaker poles with tilt function? Been looking for something exactly like that for the SM80s that can handle their weight.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 01:55:54 AM »

Hi Rick, can you specify the speaker poles with tilt function? Been looking for something exactly like that for the SM80s that can handle their weight.
Cheers

Nimrod Webber's BT12 tilters.  Awesome product that does just what is needed.  Not cheap, but nothing that well designed and made is.

Uniz Kazz

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 08:02:30 AM »

Thanks Stephen!

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 11:17:03 AM »

Here is shot of a 1500-2700(lawn seating) capacity venue we regularly work. Acts range from jazz to heavy rock. The Danley rig always produces great results. I have never noticed a "hole in the low mid area".

https://youtu.be/ItjfD7EZaAk

Love it - that's awesome, and helps a ton. Question - are those K12s over K181s in the "Private Party 6/30" video? Sounded quite nice - well done.

And, thanks again to everyone for the input and examples. I realize that there are a ton of variables to consider; was just looking for some general experiences.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 11:37:44 AM »

Love it - that's awesome, and helps a ton. Question - are those K12s over K181s in the "Private Party 6/30" video? Sounded quite nice - well done.

And, thanks again to everyone for the input and examples. I realize that there are a ton of variables to consider; was just looking for some general experiences.

That is a JBL SRX 712/718 powered by Itech 6000

Rick Powell

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »

Thanks Stephen!

The BT-12's are the best.  The K&M 19674 will also work, but the center of gravity will be a little forward and they are slightly underrated at 55# for the SM80's weight of 65#.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 09:33:33 PM »

The BT-12's are the best.  The K&M 19674 will also work, but the center of gravity will be a little forward and they are slightly underrated at 55# for the SM80's weight of 65#.

I use those K&m tilters with my ev zxa5's (50lbs) cranked up high on my st-132 crank stands.  although they do throw off the centre of gravity, with my Tripod legs spread wide, I have yet to find any issue with stability.  (YMMV- not recommending using a product outside it's factory rated specs by using those specific tilters with the 65lb sm80). The locking sleeve works beautifully for keeping them from spinning around on you. Helpful if you're tilting "back" to cover a balcony for example.

Consider that the stand weighs as much as the speaker in this case, and that I'm only tilting maybe 10 degrees at most, it's not as bad as one might think.  In a pinch I've even attached a pair of adj dotz Par LED wash lights using one of those short tee attachments from on-stage stands, and they were still more stable at 13' than some cheaper tripods at 6'.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 09:33:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.