ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Transportable Subs -- Is this idea just crazy?  (Read 13030 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Transportable Subs -- Is this idea just crazy?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 08:27:18 AM »

Water leak, eh?

You might need a submarine instead of a subwoofer...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Royce Van Norman

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 09:10:41 PM »

Water leak, eh?

You might need a submarine instead of a subwoofer...

Lol... Ouch.

Anybody know the approximate price of the Danley TH Mini?
What is the difference between the Mini and the TH 112
What is the trade off of using a 12 (either 112 or mini) as opposed to moving up to the 115 or 118 (lower extension I know, but I don't really need to get lower than anything else).

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 09:32:59 PM »

Lol... Ouch.

Anybody know the approximate price of the Danley TH Mini?
What is the difference between the Mini and the TH 112
What is the trade off of using a 12 (either 112 or mini) as opposed to moving up to the 115 or 118 (lower extension I know, but I don't really need to get lower than anything else).
I can't help with the pricing-I don't work on that side of the business.

Here are the technical differences.

The obvious differences are the TH112 is larger and heavier.

The TH112 goes lower in freq (almost an octave).

The TH mini goes louder.

The TH mini handles a little bit more power.

As far as "trans-portability" vs output goes, the TH mini winds hands down.  As long as you don't need to go real low.

The TH115 or TH118 are a good bit louder-and larger-and more expensive

It is all a matter of tradeoffs
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:36:16 PM by Ivan Beaver »
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 10:23:19 PM »

For me, having heard all the above multiple times, I'd take the TH118.

Subs that play deep feel "bigger" and more powerful.  Straight SPL can't fill the void. 

118s are efficient.  10 watts into a Mini is nothing like 10 watts into a 118.

SPL vs cubic feet of truck pack.  How many Minis would you need per 118?  They aren't so mini anymore then. 

The 112 doesn't have much SPL, otherwise it's decent.  You would need a lot of truck pack to get enough SPL.

The wheels make moving a 118 easy.  I'd rather  move 1 box than lots of smaller ones.

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 08:08:51 AM »

SPL vs cubic feet of truck pack.  How many Minis would you need per 118?  They aren't so mini anymore then. 

And to try ot get the same performance of a single TH118-the cost of the minis would be higher.

Sometimes a single larger sub is more cost efficient than multiple smaller subs.

It all depends on what people are "after" in terms of a system.

If all you need is one small sub from time to time, then a small sub cold make sense.

But if more output is needed-a more powerful sub makes more sense.

As usual-It depends
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 06:59:45 PM »

The collapsable box idea will not work very well. All the seams need to be glued tight so the box is air tight and doesnt rattle. do you have a handtruck to move the woofers ? 

duane massey

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 10:09:11 PM »

Back "in the day" we used the Leviathans quite a bit. Later (early 80's) we built some large bass horns with extensions that increased the mouth area to approx 42 sq ft (6' x 7'). The entire package included 2 2x15 horns (30"x 36" x 48") 2 wings (72"x 48") and two top/bottom pieces. Performance was incredible, portability was.....well, it was worth it to us.
EAW (I believe) made an extension for their dual18 folded horn. Don't know the actual model number, but I cloned one for a client a few months ago.
Also, Community did offer a larger "speaker pod" that lowered the response, at the expense of slightly less efficiency. Power amps were not very powerful back then, so efficiency was kind of a big deal. It still is to me.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

John L Nobile

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 10:34:20 PM »

Power amps were not very powerful back then, so efficiency was kind of a big deal. It still is to me.

Me too. Efficiency is a big deal with anything not just speakers.

Rick Powell

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 03:47:30 PM »

Back "in the day" we used the Leviathans quite a bit. Later (early 80's) we built some large bass horns with extensions that increased the mouth area to approx 42 sq ft (6' x 7'). The entire package included 2 2x15 horns (30"x 36" x 48") 2 wings (72"x 48") and two top/bottom pieces. Performance was incredible, portability was.....well, it was worth it to us.
EAW (I believe) made an extension for their dual18 folded horn. Don't know the actual model number, but I cloned one for a client a few months ago.
Also, Community did offer a larger "speaker pod" that lowered the response, at the expense of slightly less efficiency. Power amps were not very powerful back then, so efficiency was kind of a big deal. It still is to me.

I had a pair of Leviathans for a while.  The removable speaker "pod" that had 2-15" EV's was just so that you could get the horn inside a single door (it just fit, going sideways) and then you could assemble the horn and pod together once you got inside. There were a few bands around that had Levi's mounted in a box, no pod but a wooden chamber that held the drivers in place within the larger box...these wouldn't fit inside any place unless they had a double door. I got tired of stacking the contraption (Levi on bottom, 12" Community horn mid, and JBL radial horn on top) which needed a whole bunch of straps or bungee cords to keep it all from falling down in a heap. The Levis were the most unstable sub I have ever owned, geometry-wise, and the mid horns weren't much better.  I sold off the Levis and mids and replaced them with some R&R Cases wood speaker cabinets that were at least rectangular and stackable.

duane massey

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 07:46:19 PM »

We built some open aluminum frames for the Levi shells, put casters on them. They still went thru a 30" door, but had a stable footprint with a flat top. Mids (MB60's ??) and matching 60degree horn in an aluminum frame made a nice stack, plus the extension would bolt on without problems. At one time we were using 2 per side. I could load in and setup by myself (and did a couple of times). By today's standards it wasn't portable, but we felt the performance was worth the trouble (plus it looked cool).
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 07:46:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 25 queries.