ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker purchase advice.  (Read 1879 times)

Eddie Jacobson

Speaker purchase advice.
« on: July 01, 2016, 02:54:31 pm »

I realize that there are several similar topics, but they are all outdated.
I recently sold my 4 PRX615 and looking to buy better sounding powered speakers with at least 2" HF, and longer "throw" than PRX615.
Do not mind getting 12's since I do have subs (4 KW181's). My current budget is $5000.

Stephen Kirby

Re: Speaker purchase advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:54:55 pm »

Are you looking for 4 tops?  It's going to be hard to find MI tops at that price range that play well together side by side.  Unless you need very wide dispersion you may want to look at stronger single tops.  Do you have size/weight restrictions?

Eddie Jacobson

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 12:33:25 am »

Are you looking for 4 tops?  It's going to be hard to find MI tops at that price range that play well together side by side.  Unless you need very wide dispersion you may want to look at stronger single tops.  Do you have size/weight restrictions?
Dont really have a size weight restriction. I would like to get 4 tops, but could also just get 2 tops for now and purchase more later on. Im also open to buying used speakers .

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 08:53:56 am »

and looking to buy better sounding powered speakers with at least 2" HF, and longer "throw" than PRX615.

Can you define what you mean by "throw"?

I can only "throw" smaller speaker a couple of feet.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 09:49:39 am »

Find 4 used Yorkville U15Ps. They stay coherent at  wicked long distances and work perfect in side by side arrangements.

They do weigh 92 lbs a piece and will probably outrun your subs, but if you can find them they'll be way under your budget and outperform any new speaker with a $1250 price tag.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 10:47:44 am »

Find 4 used Yorkville U15Ps. They stay coherent at  wicked long distances
That is due to the mids and highs being close enough together and not cancelling/interfering with each other-and being on the same horn so they form a single source of sound-instead of coming from 2 different locations.

If the sound "Starts out" as a single source ( I have started calling it "1 Source")-it will "hold together" over distance much better-because it is more like sounds in nature.

Nowhere in nature does the same sound come from different places.  Like it does when a woofer and HF or mid and HF etc are in physically different locations (even a few inches matter) by more than 1/4 wavelength.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rick Powell

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 11:18:40 am »

Find 4 used Yorkville U15Ps. They stay coherent at  wicked long distances and work perfect in side by side arrangements.

They do weigh 92 lbs a piece and will probably outrun your subs, but if you can find them they'll be way under your budget and outperform any new speaker with a $1250 price tag.

There are a few places on eBay that have them for less than $1500 apiece new, shipped.

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 12:55:15 pm »

That is due to the mids and highs being close enough together and not cancelling/interfering with each other-and being on the same horn so they form a single source of sound-instead of coming from 2 different locations.

If the sound "Starts out" as a single source ( I have started calling it "1 Source")-it will "hold together" over distance much better-because it is more like sounds in nature.

Dang that Tom Danley and his evil design.  >:(

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 12:55:15 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 23 queries.