ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley SM80 splay?  (Read 10446 times)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Re: Danley SM80 splay?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 08:19:51 AM »

I heard a pair of 80s splayed at the Danley shop and while not perfect, as the software indicates, the overlapping coverage sounds WAY somoother with the horn design than any pair of standard 2 way cabs I have used.

Thanks Keith! This is outdoors on the intercostal waterway. Honestly between the wind and crowd and traffic I doubt a little bit of interference is going to be any problem at all.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 08:33:19 AM »

Thanks Keith! This is outdoors on the intercostal waterway. Honestly between the wind and crowd and traffic I doubt a little bit of interference is going to be any problem at all.
OH-You're not trying to mix an album sitting in the overlap zone?????  You should be fine.

Side by side will generally easier and safer to deploy than stack and splay.

I do need to do the "stack and splay" and listen when I get a chance.  Just for reference.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »

OH-You're not trying to mix an album sitting in the overlap zone?????  You should be fine.

Side by side will generally easier and safer to deploy than stack and splay.

I do need to do the "stack and splay" and listen when I get a chance.  Just for reference.

Nah! And I'm not sure the level of the local talent, so may actually want a little interference...

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 09:40:32 PM »

Went super wide with them and actually sounded great. The "Seam" was really minimal and I covered the whole street quite well.

I definitely want to try the SM80 with the Th118. We were definitely lacking in low mid output. I think the 118 would have helped. Our EAW SB750 subs sound great 90hz and below but just sound "woofy" and loose when I tried to crossover higher.

Overall I was VERY impressed with sound quality and output of the SM80. Considering you can put this on a stand and sling it around by yourself it is really really an impressive box.

John L Nobile

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 09:59:44 PM »

[

Overall I was VERY impressed with sound quality and output of the SM80. Considering you can put this on a stand and sling it around by yourself it is really really an impressive box.

I totally agree. The quality and SPL I can get out of these are very surprising for the size. I use DBH218's when I use them for mains and they work quite well. The only drawback is that you have to have subs with them for music. However they were excellent by themselves for a solo comedy act. 650 ppl in a 10k Sq ft room. I did need fills for the sides as they had seating behind the mains off to the side.

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 09:44:15 AM »

I totally agree. The quality and SPL I can get out of these are very surprising for the size. I use DBH218's when I use them for mains and they work quite well. The only drawback is that you have to have subs with them for music. However they were excellent by themselves for a solo comedy act. 650 ppl in a 10k Sq ft room. I did need fills for the sides as they had seating behind the mains off to the side.

I pretty much always use subs for live music, so not a problem. I think I did had a little too high expectations that they would replace a kf650. They actually came pretty close but just couldn't get it down low. Mid and high actually probably outran 650's. Considering I can put these on a pole and lift then solo, etc, I am still REALLY impressed. I just need reasonable expectations.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 10:44:57 AM »

We cross our TH 118/SM 80 at 130Hz. It outperforms any KF 650z rig I have ever used.

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 08:00:42 PM »

We cross our TH 118/SM 80 at 130Hz. It outperforms any KF 650z rig I have ever used.

Hmmm. Yeah, I think we had it crossed at 150, I'll try lowering

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 08:19:55 PM »

Here are the actual HP/LP settings I use. This is used with original Crown ITech DSP.

SM80:

HP Butterworth 12db 125Hz

TH118:

LP Bessel 24db 130Hz

Delay 1.25ms

John L Nobile

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »

I think I had my xovers at 130 and 110. 24 db Butterworth. The subs get very efficient at 110 so the acoustical xover sounded higher.
I don't have smaart so I use a sine wave to hear what's happening around the xover points. Ears may not be as accurate but they're free.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.